PDA

View Full Version : Am I too expensive for my area?

Cocoon
01-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Hello everyone.

I have a question to you all but especially, day homes who are operating in Alberta, Calgary to be precise.

Could you please let me know how much exactly are you charging for full time and part time please? I know I asked this before but I can't seem to find the post.

I started running my day home in December. Before opening I did a lot of search regarding how much I should charge. But I couldn't get the exact figure. I now am charging what I think I should be charging based on my experience, qualification etc. I heard from someone that she pays her day home $700 per month full time and she says she is lucky to get that price. When I told her how much I will be charging for full time ($50 per day, 1083 per month) she said I'm expensive but she didn't know that I'm an experienced caregiver not a mother who is doing this while she is on maternity leave etc.

So could you please tell me how much you Calgarian day homes are charging and what is your experience? I'm charging $50 a day for full time and $54 to 60 for part time and I had no problem with filling my spots.

Thank you all.
Cocoon

Judy Trickett
01-09-2012, 12:16 PM
I honestly do not think cost matters. There will always be parents who are willing to pay more and also parents wanting to pay less.

I think what matters is what you are offering for the fees you are charging.

Cocoon
01-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Thank you Judy. That is what I thought. To be honest, the experience plus the qualifications I don't think I'm expensive at all. Parents' ask me questions about anything and everything about their child/ren. I don't shrug my shoulders and say "I don't know" I give advise and if when they follow my advise we always get results. I don't have my own kids but I have looked after dozens of kids in the past 10 plus years so I have extensive experience. And whoever came to me signed up. Not because I have tons of toys or big basement etc. I operate from my 2 bed condo.

playfelt
01-09-2012, 01:23 PM
If you are interviewing and parents are signing up then there is nothing to be concerned about because it means the parents feel that the services you are offering are worth it. If you find that you are having trouble filling spaces then price is certainly an area to look into. When caring for an infant how many degrees we have doesn't make us a better diaper changer than a mom on maternity leave so we have to be careful about thinking that parents will pay for our credentials and experience - some will yes. One way to guage your fees is to go to the home page of daycarebear and type in your postal code. It will give you daycares starting with closest to you and then branching out. It is a good way to guage what you offer and what you charge compared to those around you.

fruitloop
01-09-2012, 02:52 PM
I think that because Calgary is such a big city with many different levels of financial status the rates for daycare fluctuate A LOT depending on what area you are in. If you live in the high end of Calgary then your rate is probably fine but if you live in the low-mid end then your rate is going to be very high. If you are full and have people willing to pay that much then it's probably fine.

mlc1982
01-09-2012, 03:08 PM
I'm in Calgary and although rates vary from each area, I have never seen a day home charge that much. I have typically seen anywhere from $35-$40 per day, roughly $700 - $800 per month... a few more dollars per day for part time.

That being said, if you are filling spots and are finding parents are okay with what you charge, keep doing what you're doing. If you're having a tough time filling spots, I'd lower it some.

Sandbox Sally
01-09-2012, 07:32 PM
I charge the same as you, Cocoon. I am in Toronto. I have been told more than once that my prices are "more than reasonable". Absolutely, in a city centre you charge more.

momplus6
01-09-2012, 08:59 PM
It really depends on the area but if you are filling you spots then I guess you have no worries. I have heard of Dayhomes charging between 900-1000 but most I see average between 600-800. Before the recession dayhomes were charging up to 1200 a month. I know agency ones usually charge more than private. I charge around 700 and I am on the high end for private in my area.

Cocoon
01-10-2012, 10:31 AM
It is strange as I replied to this topic last night but it seems it disappeared. Strange. Anyway.

Playfelt, I know degrees doesn't make you a better diaper changer than a mom who is on maternity leave(In this business everybody thinks that they can look after children and it is an easy job, maybe that is why people doesn't really recognise this as a profession, but that's another story). But if you combine that with experiences then it does.
Looking after an infant not only means changing her/his diapers. You have to understand why is s/he crying and find solutions, set up a routine etc. If I didn't have my qualifications and experience I wouldn't understand and know how to deal with them.

It's like when you apply for a position you tell them what you can do and for them to give you the job you need to show them what you have been trained for. I know you don't have to do masters in this field to be a good caregiver but it helps to put you on top of their list and it also does broaden your choices.

As some of you had said, as long as I get parents' sing up I shouldn't be consern.

Thank you for all your responses.
Have a lovely day
Cocoon

dodge__driver11
01-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Playfelt, I know degrees doesn't make you a better diaper changer than a mom who is on maternity leave(In this business everybody thinks that they can look after children and it is an easy job, maybe that is why people doesn't really recognise this as a profession, but that's another story). But if you combine that with experiences then it does.
Looking after an infant not only means changing her/his diapers. You have to understand why is s/he crying and find solutions, set up a routine etc. If I didn't have my qualifications and experience I wouldn't understand and know how to deal with them.

It's like when you apply for a position you tell them what you can do and for them to give you the job you need to show them what you have been trained for. Cocoon

I read this and wasn't sure what to make of it, as Playfelt said paper doersn't make a good caregiver, and I believe that sometimes it lull's people into a false sense of "this person has training so they are okay."

I had to kind of read "between the lines of your post", as I couldn't help but feel that you were exhuding a sense of "I am better than you" (I am prolly going to be punced on for that, but whatever) So you charge the rate you charge, if that works good, but IMHO you could have all the paper you wanted -but if you were "finding solutions for my child" and that came off badly--I'd be running the other way. And fast.

playfelt
01-10-2012, 01:10 PM
I actually see this kind of thinking a lot amongst caregiver who think because they have their ECE that parents should be willing to pay them more for the same work. Some parents can be lulled into believing that there is a benefit but the reality is there is so much info on the internet, support associations etc that can help a caregiver that the ECE piece of paper is not a requirement to do our job and in some cases a detriment - don't jump on me I have ECE courses too - because it locks us into how we were trained.

I learned more about childcare from being a mom of 4 kids and doing daycare for over 25 years then I ever learned of value from formal training. Yes I believe there is value in formal training but I don't believe there is enough that a caregiver should think they deserve more money because of it. The actual care that providers are expected to give is the same.

dodge__driver11
01-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Hi playfelt I am AN ECE too but I just couldnt help but think, that the post gave off some hollier than thou attitude, that is all

mom-in-alberta
01-11-2012, 03:12 AM
I hear it, too. And I didn't like it all that much. :p
We have had discussions before about qualifications for caregivers. And I maintain that a diploma or accreditation means nothing if the person has no hands on experience, or is the wrong personality match for this career.
I should note that I do NOT have my ECE or anything. I would like to take some courses in the near future, because I am sure that there is very valuable info to be found. But I certainly don't think that I am any less the caring and capable provider, and I DO NOT charge any less. It's about understanding children, period.
I don't know if that sounds defensive, but it's my view.
Oh, and as for the original question; if you are filling spots, I wouldn't worry about it. People will tell you if you are charging too much.

Cocoon
01-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Ginger, actually you didn't had to read between the lines it's not a brainer as everything was there and open. I think you and Playfelt is missing something in my post. I said "...if you combine that with experiences..." I also believe you have this problem "reading between the lines" So may be if you could ignore my posts it would help you to get less stress on top of your daily stress.

What I'm getting from your comments on this is " traning should not make you think you deserve more and it doesn't make any difference really" am I correct? I wonder why I and many others "wasted" our time and efford and of course our money to be trained? Maybe I thought I can be more employable...? How dare I! And the funny thing is you said you are trained too. I wonder why you "wasted" your time since you could perfectly provide the care without it?
When I started doing this job I did not have the experience and the qualifications. Few families trusted in me and gave me the opportunity. But everytime I needed to find work I had to show families that I'm good at my job(had great referencess) and I'm committed. And this job wasn't something to fill the time untill I find a better! one. I was competing with other providers who had references and qualifications.

dodge__driver11
01-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Look -- I am an ECE and I am fully trained to be doing this, and frankly for you to say that I am or anyone else is waiting for a better job to come along is just plain rude. I am done with this and I am not going to enter into an argument with u, All I was saying was you gave the impression that credentals were everything and they are not. I have them and training is never a waste...

But in the end as I said you can have all the paper you want, but if I dont care for you I wont choose you papers or none...

I am out.

playfelt
01-11-2012, 11:17 AM
The ECE courses are geared to working in a daycare centre with a wealth of resources at your fingertips and best practices etc. with only a hint of mention of alternate employment possibilities. My initial degree is a teacher education degree from university and it is amazing how many parents have chosen me over the years because of it and yet by the time my training for K-6 kicks in their child would be long gone. There are many caregivers with no other training than being a mother and a few information workshops and the odd make and take that provide care better than some "trained" professionals. So much of our job is common sense. Sorry if you think you wasted your training but there will be times it will come in handy just think carefully about what you do and how much of it comes right out of your textbooks and how much of it you had to make up decisions for yourself or research for yourself such as chatting to other caregivers.

dodge__driver11
01-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Less stress??? I dont think its stressfull I think its cocky.

dodge__driver11
01-11-2012, 11:20 AM
@ playfelt I certainly dont think training is a waste in fact it has helped me to be a better mother and given me better tools for discipline:) I hope that you don't think that I thought that!:)

Cocoon
01-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Playfelt, I don't think that I wasted my time at all. YOu get it wronf I think. Being trained helped me a lot! I asked how much I wanted to be paid and get it plus perks etc.

And please for the last time, I'm not saying training "only" will get you great jobs or clients in this field. BUT "...if you combine that with experiences..." . will.

Ginger, I thought you've done with this post but I can see you havent...

"@ playfelt I certainly dont think training is a waste in fact it has helped me to be a better mother and given me better tools for discipline"

So you do belive that training helps right? Thank god you admitted!!!

Oh I'm very tired of explaining this. So it is up to you to take however you want it.

Cocoon

dodge__driver11
01-11-2012, 01:26 PM
I commented because you come across to me as someone who seems to think that being trained in ECE makes you better.... Which in a way it does, and I said that....then you tell me in a rude way that I dont need to comment if it "it stresses me out" then add "I am so glad you admit that training does better" I never ever said that it didn't -- I simply said that I felt a a presence of cockyness in what you wrote. A simple thats not what I meant would have sufficed and I would have said sorry.

Peace

playfelt
01-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Training doesn't make you better it makes you different - please don't forget that. This is not about guaging those that have ECE and those that don't. It is not a measure that guages quality in home daycare.

A parent will decide what setup, location, program best fits with what they want. As we said at the beginning if parents are willing to pay your fees for whatever reason then your fees are reasonale. Everything in this business becomes supply and demand and depends on the part of the city or province you live in.

Sandbox Sally
01-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Mods...isn't name calling against the user agreement?

Cocoon
01-12-2012, 11:34 AM
It's OK. Alphaghetti, it shows what kind of personality she has. And because she said that, it doesn't mean I'm what she said:)

Thank you.
Cocoon

dodge__driver11
01-12-2012, 12:30 PM
oh please what are we 5? I said if it wasn't what she meant I was sorry.... Please stop taking jabs at me if you want to call me out for something do it, don't be all like...Mean and then put a smiley face after it .

I don't care what you all think of me I call things as I see them, but am I too am ready to say sorry if I need I don't take gentle jabs at people --I just say it. It is just an opinion its not anything more than that.

Love and hugs and all that LOL, its just a post in the end--and I said what I thought.

Cocoon
01-12-2012, 02:28 PM
" if you want to call me out for something do it, don't be all like..." First of all, I don't know what you meant by this "...." And Why should I? Because, you and I have different opinions...? No, I don't call names and I'm polite. This is what makes me different than you. And you know it doesn't hurt to be polite. You can make your point without calling people names.

"I don't care what you all think of me " Well...maybe you should as you live in a society.

I'm assuming you are an adult so please act like one.

Cocoon :p

Note: I was going to smile after my name but since you don't like me smiling so I'm putting this one instead :p

Cocoon
01-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Oh love and hugs from me too :)

dodge__driver11
01-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Okay enough. I am an adult, and can say what I choose, why must you continue poking at me? I told you in my previous post that it was just an opinion then you felt the need to go on about it...in my last post I stated that it was just a post and wanted to end it there, but instead you con't.

Why?

I am the last person to not understand what is like to live in society, and guess what I still don't care what people think.

Play and Learn
01-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Let's remember what this post is about ladies. Enough with the jabbing at each others throats.

REMEMBER....this is a PUBLIC forum.