PDA

View Full Version : Slap happy child

mlc1982
01-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Does anybody have any effective tips on how to get a child to stop slapping everyone else?

It's my own 16 month old who has recently started slapping the other kids or her older sister. Sometimes when she gets mad, sometimes just randomly. It is SO frustrating. I've been putting her in her crib when I notice her doing it as a 'time out' sort of deal. So far this hasn't worked.

Care
01-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Hi MLC,
I have had some kids around the same age in my day home that did that (or bite, pull hair or take away toys from others). They are too young to realize they hurt someone, but you want it to stop for sure. What seems to help for me is to stay close to them when they are around others and gently stop their hand, saying ' no slapping/biting' in a serious tone. And right away say 'be gentle to...(name other child)' , this I say in a very kind voice and I show them how to be gentle (like give a toy to other child, or stroke there hair gently etc). You need to be on top of it for a while to be effective, so sit/play right beside your child and give her no chance to slap when your not around (put the kid in playpen or beside you in a high chair when you need to do something else). Don't worry, it will take half a day tops and it's worth it.

Skysue
01-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Does anybody have any effective tips on how to get a child to stop slapping everyone else?

It's my own 16 month old who has recently started slapping the other kids or her older sister. Sometimes when she gets mad, sometimes just randomly. It is SO frustrating. I've been putting her in her crib when I notice her doing it as a 'time out' sort of deal. So far this hasn't worked.

Form my experience this behavior is learned so you really do need to keep a close eye, as more than likely one of the other kids maybe hitting the littlest ones. This happened in my daycare and when I found the culprit and stopped their behavior as well as the babies it worked like a charm!

I usually sit the babies on the ground and hold there hands together and say no, not nice no hitting. Then very genley rub there hands and say gentle & then show them with the bigger kids what gentle means. We hug a lot and it helps.

mom-in-alberta
01-11-2012, 02:46 AM
I agree with the interruption theory. And it can be exhausting for a day or two, because you literally do not allow the child to leave your side, or you don't leave their side. You must shadow them and watch for the hand raising up to hit. Then assertively stop the action and state that we do NOT hit, because hitting hurts/ is owies, etc.
Just make sure this doesn't mean that you are sitting beside the child "playing" all day long, because that is not a negative consequence at all. You are there to observe and cease the behaviour, for the good of all, lol!