PDA

View Full Version : Feel like I'm just the doormat...

Care
01-10-2012, 12:45 PM
ladies I feel so sad and used.... why do people think I'm doing charity? I really hope I'll get another job soon again because now I'm making (maybe hopefully) minimum wage but I have no breaks on 9 hour days, do more than most parents would do with their kids (reading, crafting, raising them ...) but they just tell me they won't be coming on certain days ' to safe some money ' or ask me not to charge a day because they made a mistake booking it... This month I will come up with 232.- less because of it. I don't feel I charge enough anyway because I'm in a small town and this is the average rate but I feel so devalued that I seriously wish I could quit (but I can't, little money is better than nothing). I have a policy which is clear and fair, they pay the 11year old babysitter easily the same amount for 2 or 3 hours than they pay me for a day..... why????

dodge__driver11
01-10-2012, 12:51 PM
There are plenty that feel this way... I posted a similar thing yesterday, and the one thing that you must remember is though you care for these liittle ones this is your income, your business, and that you have a say in how it runs.

I had to work pt until my daycare filled up. sadly.

YOU MUST HAVE POLICY (if you do great, if you don't do)

DON'T LET PEOPLE WALK OVER YOU, YOU ARE THE BOSS!! :)

playfelt
01-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Find out from those around you what their policies are paying by enrolment or paying for days booked. In my case when they contract with me they are booking one of my 5 spaces to be there whenever they want it and they are charged a fee accordingly. Another option would be to have a minimum fee per week whether they use the days or not so that you can count on 3 days worth of income minimum. If you have a contract then why not enforce the contract. If they ask for a break they need to be reminded that the money they pay you is your income and that you have expenses that don't change by the number of days the child is there and those have to be paid first meaning there is less left to provide for the children. If nothing else cut back on anything you can in the daycare such as craft supplies, special events, keep meals anad snacks simple - sort of the parents get what they pay for which isn't much it sounds like.

If possible consider advertising for new clients that want full time care and replace the part time with full time.

Skysue
01-10-2012, 05:33 PM
You must have in your contact that they pay for the days stated weather they come or not? How else can you budget to live? Maybe do what playffelt suggested offer a 3 day min but be prepared for them to take advantage.

What about with your part time kids (on there off days) offer a drop in play for kids of “ stay at home moms” who want there kids to get social interaction for a few hours a week.
I did that with 2 little ones and they come from 9am-12pm for $20.00 a day two times a week and they must pay there $40.00 a week regardless if they come or not. They are paying for the space and I can’t fill it otherwise. For me It’s a guaranteed extra $320.00 a month. It can help fill a gap!

Don't be a door mat tell your parents that you have a business to run! Period!

Judy Trickett
01-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Hey, CARE...........do you have a contract?? A great contract will be your best resource in daycare. If you email me I will be more than happy to send you a copy of mine.

email me at: judytrickett@gmail.c om

mom-in-alberta
01-11-2012, 03:26 AM
People will treat you exactly as you allow them to... you are not being fair to yourself if you feel this way. Sounds like you definitely need to institute a minimum, or enforce a policy that days booked= days paid, no excuses.
If you must, have a heart to heart with parents and explain where you are coming from. That this is your wage, and it's counted on. Many parents just don't even think about it.

mamaof2monkeez
01-18-2012, 12:00 PM
It is a business and needs to be treated as such. Everything needs to be documented in a contract and you need to have written policies. When my numbers have been down, I have needed to contemplate and evening part time job...whatever pays the bills. Any parent will take advantage if you allow it. You need and must expect to be treated as a professional. My families know they are paying for the spot not the attendance, if they don't pay I need to fill my spot. I have what I have been told is an iron clad contract lol.

Care
01-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Hi mom in alberta,
your so absolutely right.... that people will treat you as you allow them to.... Glad you mentioned it so I had a good thought about it all. I do have a clear policy but this lady won't pay attention to it. She is however a influential person in our small community. I will just have to wear a harness as long as I have to deal with her. Two other moms have apparently reviewed my policy and must have realized that they are well off with me:laugh: I'm a little stricter than other dayhome moms in town (to the kids and the moms ;) but I am also doing more educational stuff and am dealing well with behavioral issues in some kids (and the moms appreciate it). I would like to have an even stricter policy but my fellow day home providers in town seem to all do it as a hobby more or less.... I will have to position myself more and this will take some time maybe. So I think I just have to hang on here and remember the 3 other moms that are very positive about what I do and how I do it. In the meantime I have reviewed the reasons why I am in this business (also by reading lots on this forum which has been a really great help!) and there are lots of good reasons to keep going on!