PDA

View Full Version : Working 7 days a week ? Exhausted

Spixie33
01-10-2012, 08:06 PM
That time of the year where I need to vent again.

everything going pretty good in the daycare but I really feel like I am working 7 days a week and am run down with a cold and exhausted !

I had 10 days off over christmas which I spent steam cleaning the house, painting all the areas damaged by the daycare, cleaning, etc. I worked like crazy. Now I am back on my second week of daycare and am pooped out.

I feel like I work really hard with these kids 5 days a week and then the weekend comes and I have to do the grocery shopping for the daycare, plan the meals for the next week or daycare, cook ahead for the daycare, plan activities etc and then Monday comes and I feel like I haven't rested one bit.

every day I look forward to 'go home time' but then everyone leaves and the floors are a mess and I end up having to vacuum and mop and wipe everything down and do another hour or two of 'daycare' work.

I am not sure what I have to do to get some R&R.
Do you ever feel like this job never ends??:blink::blink: :blink:

sunnydays
01-10-2012, 09:54 PM
I feel like this often, but figure it's because my own kids are very young too, so there is not real down time. I try to cut myself slack where I can. Everything doesn't have to be perfect. Maybe you could give yourself permission to slack off a little on cleaning here and there or find ways to get more done while the kids are eating etc. Organization is key to making things easier. I recently switched everyone into booster seats with trays and the mess is a hundred times less than when they were at a table, I don't have to mop everyday anymore as I just spot clean while they are eating.

mom-in-alberta
01-11-2012, 03:34 AM
Yeah, I think it's because I have young ones at home too. In fact, I am taking some time off right now to "recharge". And it's exactly what I needed. I work part time outside the home, but am making it a point to unwind a little, lol. I am not saying you need to quit, but you need to do what you need to do for a little while. Why not try easing up on the programming that you are providing. Do more "free" stuff and less that involves prep and tidy.
As for cleaning, I don't know... :p If you find a solution, please share! Hahaha. Who else do you have around you? Older kids, hubby? Get them to pitch in a little more. If you must (although they should be helping, it's not like you sit around all day and eat bon-bons, lol) offer a reward incentive. Ie: if everyone does what they are asked, at the end of the month, we will have a family dinner and movie night. Or something like that.
Could you hire someone, either a pro or a college kid, to come in and clean for you once a week? That would take some of the stress out of it, maybe.

playfelt
01-11-2012, 04:52 AM
We also have to give ourselves permission to have it "messy" sometimes in the house because there are a lot of kids around all the time. Remember a little dirt is good for the immune system.

lotssoflove
01-11-2012, 12:31 PM
OHH ya. Not only do I do daycare during the day but I teach piano and voice in the evenings 5 days a week! it can get tiring but like some have said, a little dirt never hurt anyone! Take the time you can find to relax a bit. The walls dont need to be painted every 6 months!

Skysue
01-11-2012, 12:44 PM
That time of the year where I need to vent again.

everything going pretty good in the daycare but I really feel like I am working 7 days a week and am run down with a cold and exhausted !

I had 10 days off over christmas which I spent steam cleaning the house, painting all the areas damaged by the daycare, cleaning, etc. I worked like crazy. Now I am back on my second week of daycare and am pooped out.

I feel like I work really hard with these kids 5 days a week and then the weekend comes and I have to do the grocery shopping for the daycare, plan the meals for the next week or daycare, cook ahead for the daycare, plan activities etc and then Monday comes and I feel like I haven't rested one bit.

every day I look forward to 'go home time' but then everyone leaves and the floors are a mess and I end up having to vacuum and mop and wipe everything down and do another hour or two of 'daycare' work.

I am not sure what I have to do to get some R&R.
Do you ever feel like this job never ends??:blink::blink: :blink:

I'm feeling like that too right now!:) rocked with a cold and yuck a cold soar! I have been designating Sat as my do nothing day! I power clean on Friday night then come Sat I veg on the couch and don't move until noon! I'm going to try and get my grocery shopping done on friday nights too as There just isn't enought time to squeeze it all in on Sunday!

You might also need to take a step back and ask yourself if your doing too much with the kids. I used to do craft everyday and now I've decided its ok if we do it 2 to 3 times a week!

I just think it's cabin fever. You sound like you need a weekend to de-stress!

fruitloop
01-11-2012, 02:24 PM
I was feeling like that about 2 months ago. I worked 9.5-10 hours a day/5 days a week and then did the majority of the stuff with my own kids and then on weekends I spent it cleaning and doing laundry. I was so tired and wanted some days off. I decided to hire a cleaning lady. She comes in on Friday mornings and does all the cleaning I'd be doing on the weekend (except for my daycare area) and all I have left to do is the laundry and groceries. So, I now get at least 1 full day off where I don't have to do anything except enjoy my family. My oldest son does the dishes (he just turned 11 and has been doing them for about a year now) after supper (unload and load the dishwasher) and my husband does all the cooking on weekends. I cook 5 days a week...he can do the weekends. If he doesn't cook...no one eats. I think you need to start putting some of this load onto your dh or hire someone to help you out before you have a complete burn out. You can't do everything and nor should you!

Cocoon
01-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Skysue, can you not do your shopping online? It would save you at least 2 hours.

Spixie33, can you clean on the way? I'm sure you have already thought of this maybe already doing :) but can you clean the dishes while the kids are having quite time or when they are sleeping? Althought, this doesn't mean you will be less tired.

And also If the kids are older you could ask them to tidy up too. Every little helps!:)

As some of us already had said your house doesn't have to be sparling and it won't hurt anyone if you don't do activities everyday.

Hope you will feel better soon.
Cocoon

Skysue
01-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Skysue, can you not do your shopping online? It would save you at least 2 hours.

Spixie33, can you clean on the way? I'm sure you have already thought of this maybe already doing :) but can you clean the dishes while the kids are having quite time or when they are sleeping? Althought, this doesn't mean you will be less tired.

And also If the kids are older you could ask them to tidy up too. Every little helps!:)

As some of us already had said your house doesn't have to be sparling and it won't hurt anyone if you don't do activities everyday.

Hope you will feel better soon.
Cocoon

Grocery shopping on line? What store delivers?

Judy Trickett
01-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Some of the other posters make some good suggestions. What I really try to do is get as much work done as possible while I am getting paid. So, it only takes 30 seconds to toss a load of clothes in the wash and then again in the dryer. Then you can fold those clothes while you sit and watch the kids use playdoh or engaged in some other activity.

At naptime I prep my dinner so all I have to do is turn it on later. I also dust or put away laundry at naptime too.

Crayola kiddies
01-11-2012, 08:13 PM
I too tidy as I go .... I wash dishes as the kids are napping as well as prep my dinner. All the toys are tidied before lunch and everyone helps. I do one load of laundry each night and fold and put away the next day so that I am not spending all weekend doing laundry. Vacuum up the floor before I go upstairs at the end of the day ( I have a designated daycare downstairs) . I have just started doing my groceries on thursday nights and all this frees up my weekends from house chores .... I do one quick trip to the grocery store on Sunday afternoon for fresh lunch supplies.....I too feel like the days never end but my hubby also works two jobs and is gone from the house from 9 am to 1030 pm mon-thurs plus he's chronically I'll so not so much help around the house.....and I have 5 of my own kids ranging in ages from 2-20 (20 yr old does not live at home anymore) .... I just find if I do some chores during the day it frees up the weekends abut more.....

DaycareLulu
01-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Wow! I am exhausted just reading that Crayola's kiddies. I don't know how I would do this job if I didn't have my hubby's help.

dodge__driver11
01-12-2012, 09:27 AM
I too have a wonderful husband--he does all the shopping and helps with meal and snack prep too on his days off he watches the kids so I can take my breaks n stuff....Awesome. As the others have said I tidy as I go and too as others have stated I hired someome as the hubby and I both neded some TLC, she is a univ. student so it doesn't cost much at all

Sandbox Sally
01-12-2012, 11:02 AM
www.grocerygateway.c om I am not sure what cities they cater to, though. It's the Longo store brand - not sure which brick and mortar groc store this is. They ain't cheap! LOL...but I order from here frequently, to be honest, as I am exhausted and busy come 6pm, and with three kids of my own, my weekends are spoken for. :) You gotta do what you gotta do.

Cocoon
01-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Sorry, just found out that they don't do grocery shopping online.

Sunflower
01-12-2012, 11:47 AM
I don't know where all of you are located but I sometimes do my groceries on line with IGA.
I loved this service when I was on mat leave and did not want to leave the house !

Spixie33
01-12-2012, 11:51 AM
I too tidy as I go .... I wash dishes as the kids are napping as well as prep my dinner. All the toys are tidied before lunch and everyone helps. I do one load of laundry each night and fold and put away the next day so that I am not spending all weekend doing laundry. Vacuum up the floor before I go upstairs at the end of the day ( I have a designated daycare downstairs) . I have just started doing my groceries on thursday nights and all this frees up my weekends from house chores .... I do one quick trip to the grocery store on Sunday afternoon for fresh lunch supplies.....I too feel like the days never end but my hubby also works two jobs and is gone from the house from 9 am to 1030 pm mon-thurs plus he's chronically I'll so not so much help around the house.....and I have 5 of my own kids ranging in ages from 2-20 (20 yr old does not live at home anymore) .... I just find if I do some chores during the day it frees up the weekends abut more.....

you sound as swamped as I am. lol
My hubby also can't be much if any help. He comes home exhausted and doesn't do much once he does get home. I have given up trying to ask him or guilt him because that takes even more energy. I think having a husband who would chip in around the hosue would make a world of difference but you have to work with what you've got - right? lol
I do try to do what I can during the day like cleaning up towards the end of the day but then the daycare leaves and it is still messy/sticky floors, food to prep for the next day etc
I like the idea that someone suggested about doing the groceries Friday night but then I still have to go on Sunday to get fresh fruits for the week or else they will be too old and mushy by Monday
Another issue is that I can be pretty OCD about cleaning so it is hard for me to see things dirty or dust accumulating on the baseboards etc. Drives me crazy
And I hate the Time of Use. I used to be able to throw in some laundry during nap time and get at least a load done each day but now I have to wait until night which just adds to the exhaustion or I put it off for the weekend.
I would love two days off (sat and sun) each week. I just am not sure how to do it.
Two days ago I was literally cooking food for the daycare at 9 pm at night for the next day, cutting out crafts all while cleaning down the booster chairs etc

We only do weekly crafts and that is plenty but still doesn't free up that much time

Crayola kiddies
01-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Ok Spixie I see a couple of differences I don't do cooking just for the daycare I cook extra for my family dinner so I have left overs for lunch the next day .... Spaghetti, shepards pie, stew, casseroles, whatever ..... If I don't have leftovers then I do things like grilled cheese, cold deli meat sandwiches, deli plates, homemade pizza pancakes with cream cheese ( no syrup before lunch) and then I just prepare that as the kids are doing the last of the tidy up or I sit them at the table with some fruit and veges while I make the sandwiches...... I also am not a clean freak ... I can look the other way for certain things, and I too am on time of use so like I said I throw in a load every night and fold (or not) at nap time the next day. I do my groceries on Thursday nights and then just a quick trip on Sunday aft for fresh stuff(fruits, deli meat, bread) .... And my daycare consists of 1 3 1/2 yr old, 2 2 yr olds, 1 22 month old, my own 2 1/2 yr old, my own 4 and 7 yr old (at school all day) and a 10 month old starting in feb , I also wipe up any messes as it happens and I wipe each high chair/ booster seat as each child gets out if it .... it's busy and I'm tired but I don't feel overwhelmed because I don't sweat the small stuff .... Tomorrow is another day ..... I also have 3 kids in swimming lessons one kid in hockey one kid in football and working an after school part time job ( not driving age and no busses available) and one kid starting preschool program in a few months

Skysue
01-13-2012, 04:01 PM
you sound as swamped as I am. lol
My hubby also can't be much if any help. He comes home exhausted and doesn't do much once he does get home. I have given up trying to ask him or guilt him because that takes even more energy. I think having a husband who would chip in around the hosue would make a world of difference but you have to work with what you've got - right? lol
I do try to do what I can during the day like cleaning up towards the end of the day but then the daycare leaves and it is still messy/sticky floors, food to prep for the next day etc
I like the idea that someone suggested about doing the groceries Friday night but then I still have to go on Sunday to get fresh fruits for the week or else they will be too old and mushy by Monday
Another issue is that I can be pretty OCD about cleaning so it is hard for me to see things dirty or dust accumulating on the baseboards etc. Drives me crazy
And I hate the Time of Use. I used to be able to throw in some laundry during nap time and get at least a load done each day but now I have to wait until night which just adds to the exhaustion or I put it off for the weekend.
I would love two days off (sat and sun) each week. I just am not sure how to do it.
Two days ago I was literally cooking food for the daycare at 9 pm at night for the next day, cutting out crafts all while cleaning down the booster chairs etc

We only do weekly crafts and that is plenty but still doesn't free up that much time

They should let us pick our days for time of use weekends. Like for instance instead of Sat/Sun we could pick Thurs/Friday!

Play and Learn
01-13-2012, 05:03 PM
They should let us pick our days for time of use weekends. Like for instance instead of Sat/Sun we could pick Thurs/Friday!

If only....

playfelt
01-13-2012, 07:27 PM
In the grand scheme of things I didn't think the odd tub of laundry is going to make a lot of difference to your bill at the end of the year considering how high the daytime bill is going to be anyways from all the lights on, furnace/air not turned down since you are home not at work, use of stove etc. Besides the way I look at it is that we will end up claiming some of that on our taxes anyways.

You also have to look at your life. Just because some things are easier or harder or cheaper or more expensive also has to be weighed against your well-being. Deciding to do laundry or bake at naptime is a small cost to pay for an evening of free time and certainly cheaper than eating out on the weekend because you are so exhausted.

One thing I have wondered though is now that time of use for hydro comes into play will there be a way to adjust our forumulas to figure out the hydro differently so that we are claiming 10 hours per day at the high rate and not having to average the entire day. ie claiming the real cost of using electricity in our business. Would love to see the response from revenue canada on that one.

mlc1982
01-13-2012, 11:21 PM
I have been feeling super stressed lately and have been learning to let things slide a little more. I've also been doing things a little differently with my time. For instance, I have created a rough meal plan. I will now go do a big grocery shop at the beginning of every month to pick up everything needed on my list. I will pick up fruits/veggies/milk as needed or hubby will stop on his way home from work when asked. Instead of feeling like I'm in the kitchen all day, I will make enough food for dinner that we can have leftovers the next day for lunch. I will do this with breakfast foods as well. If I'm making sausage or pancakes for example, I'll make up extras and freeze them. That way I can just throw them in the microwave again in a few days or so and it saves time. I have also stopped doing dishes after every meal/snack and will do breakfast/lunch together during quiet time and then do snack dishes with my evening supper dishes. I used to hate having dirty dishes on my counter but it works for now. I will do dishes and usually fold and put away some laundry during quiet time. Heck, sometimes I'll go lay on my bed for a few minutes and watch some tv. I deserve a break as much as anyone else with a job outside the home. I've recently purchased a stick vacuum that I keep charged in my kitchen and I run that over the floor every day. That way I only have to pull out the big vacuum once a week and it saves time. I also purchased a Vileda pro mop (or something like that) which again saves me from hauling out the mop and bucket on a regular basis. It gets the floors clean without a ton of leg work. Hubby and I have started a new thing with cleaning where we do one thing a night (dusting, bathrooms, etc) Instead of trying to get everything done in one day and taking a few hours, we'll split it up so it only takes 30 min or so each day. That usually leaves us with at least one full day on the weekend to ourselves. My hubby plays a huge role in helping me de-stress. If I had to do this all on my own I would probably have a complete meltdown. Oh and I`ve also cut back on the crafts as well. I`m not going to lie, the kids have had a lot more free play time lately but you know what, they are still happy. I`m realizing that although routine is good, everything doesn`t have to be so structured. I would rather see the kids have more free play time and me be sane, than me have a breakdown and all these kids be stuck without a day home or have to go find a whole new group of friends.