PDA

View Full Version : Babies - would you, could you, have you?

Spixie33
01-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Hi Just wondering if anyone has any wonderful words of wisdom about babies for me to help me make a decision.

Have any of you ever been crazy/brave and ambitious enough (unlicensed daycares) to try two 1 year olds who can't walk yet or feed themselves and have them in your daycare at the same time?? I am talking literally 12 month olds

jodaycare
01-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Yep, I have. I actually have three just turned one year olds in care full time now. Mind you they can all walk and feed themselves finger foods but I still spoon feed them the messy stuff. In the past I have had two non walkers and it wasn't so bad.

Bookworm
01-10-2012, 08:59 PM
I currently have 2 one year olds, one of which is my son(both not walking), and may possibly have one year old twins starting part time (also non-walkers). All four of them are on the verge of walking and can feed themselves finger foods. I figure it will be crazy for a few months and then it should be fine.

Spixie33
01-10-2012, 09:08 PM
I currently have 2 one year olds, one of which is my son(both not walking), and may possibly have one year old twins starting part time (also non-walkers). All four of them are on the verge of walking and can feed themselves finger foods. I figure it will be crazy for a few months and then it should be fine.

That's what I was thinking too. I also thought that it would probably mean a few crazy months until they are 15 mo or 16 mo and then it would slowly calm down as they become more mobile and better with motor skills and able to understand instructions etc.

sunnydays
01-10-2012, 09:50 PM
I have two right now (both under a year) and third starting in a couple of weeks. I actually find the babies easier. Yes, you have to feed them and transport them from place to place, but they are very easily entertained, sleep a lot, don't argue or throw tantrums and don't fight with each other. I am finding it actually easier and more peaceful than ever. I went through the same dilemma as you, but I'm so glad I took the plunge :)

mom-in-alberta
01-11-2012, 02:38 AM
I aim not to have any more than one or two that I would have to carry in the event of an emergency. But I have had around 3 barely-one-year-olds at a time, and I agree. They usually aren't at the stage where there are sharing or personal space issues, and although it's busier physically, I find it to be an easier environment to deal with emotionally.

playfelt
01-11-2012, 05:00 AM
Just remember moms of twins and triplets do it all the time. I usually have 2-3 12 months olds depending on the year since I dont' take them once they start school. Looking more and more like I will have 3 starting this summer between June and Sept. First couple weeks are rough till you get the swing of it down. Ideally try to allow about 3 weeks between start dates so it gives you time to get a feel for the needs of each one but don't panic if they start the same time. You learn to do things in tandem and get pretty good at having a tray of dishes of food and three high chairs in front of you and feeding each one a mouthful from their dish when necessary. They also learn to wait and you will learn which ones wait the best and make your own decisions that way as to who goes into bed first, gets fed first, eats enough a few cheerios to tide them over won't be a problem till you finish feeding another child.

waterloo day mom
01-11-2012, 06:28 AM
I've had two 1yr olds before and it's not bad, just take your time getting them around and it's much less stressful. To the point of only have 1 or 2 that you would have to carry out in an emergency, in the panic of an emergency you would probably have to carry (or at least lead by the hand) every kid there except maybe those 4 and up. Even if a 2yr old can walk 100%, don't expect cooperation during a fire etc.

Judy Trickett
01-11-2012, 07:46 AM
When I first started out ALL my dckids were under 18 months old AND, my DD was only a year herself and my son was not yet 4.

It CAN be done.

Cocoon
01-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Go for it. Unless you try you wouldn't know your cababilities. I'm sure it will be OK.

Cocoon

Care
01-11-2012, 11:50 AM
They're a little older now but they couldn't walk when they first came (all around the same time, 5 part timers) and I love them, I found out I like the little ones best.:D Although I thought it would be tough, I found it way easier than I had expected it to be. I'm sure you'll find your ways soon too! Good luck:)

Spixie33
01-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys. This makes me feel much better and has given me a lot to think about.
One of my concerns is that I have 2 other children who are 2.5-3 year old so I don't want them to suffer if I have to give 80% of my attention to the babies.

My immediate reaction was to say No way but this has been some good advice. Thanks

sunnydays
01-11-2012, 12:09 PM
If the babies have morning naps, it is great because then you can spend that time doing activities geared to the older ones. That's what I am doing now and it is working really well. And actually, aside from the first weeks of adjustment, I find the babies actually need less attention than the toddlers and preschoolers. The entertain themselves quite easily while the older ones seem to always be doing something that needs my attention or wanting me to read to them, play with them, etc. Honestly, my two that are under 1 are the easiest of the whole group :)

Thanks guys. This makes me feel much better and has given me a lot to think about.
One of my concerns is that I have 2 other children who are 2.5-3 year old so I don't want them to suffer if I have to give 80% of my attention to the babies.

My immediate reaction was to say No way but this has been some good advice. Thanks

lotssoflove
01-11-2012, 12:19 PM
I too have two infants under 18 months. I love it. They play and babble to eachother. Everything is scheduled and planned for them so no mixups. I wouldnt do much more then two however. Not enough hands!! :)

DaycareLulu
01-11-2012, 12:19 PM
I have four one year olds at the moment. 3 full-time and 1 part-time and I am loving it. They can all walk now and it helps having the choo choo wagon so we can still go for walks without them all running off in different directions. The first of own four kids were twins so I knew kinda what I was in for.

jodaycare
01-11-2012, 12:20 PM
When I first started home daycare, my daughter was 6mths. I also had an 8 mth old, a 4 mth old and a 9 mth old. It was actually pretty easy since they all napped in the morning and in the afternoon.

fruitloop
01-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Yup, I had 2 12 month olds start at the same time just this past fall. It's busy but very doable. Your days go by fast. Right now I have enrolled in my daycare..

1-12 month old
2- 16month olds
1-2 year old
1-2.5 year old (starting Feb. 1)
1- 4 year old.

When the 2-12 month olds started I had 4 kids here under 2...it was fine but you have know you can handle it. I was very very busy and nap time was a saving grace but I knew I could handle it. Now everyone is walking except the 12 month old and he is fairly close.

lunademiel
01-11-2012, 08:19 PM
This is all so encouraging, come spring I will have 3 x 1 year olds! My own daughter 12mnths, another girl 12 mnths, and another girl 15 months. Also my own boy who's 3.

I think it's going to be very sweet for the 3 girls to grow up together BFF's!

VictoriaChildCare
01-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Yep I've had 3 under 18mos and it was great! I really love the little ones, I find it's easier to deal with multiple little ones than trying to toilet train 3 at the same time!

Momof4
01-15-2012, 12:05 PM
I started out with 5 children all under age 1 and it was like assembly line daycare, change them all, feed them all, put them all to bed and start again. But it turned out as they grew together at age 2 and 3 and 4 it was fantastic with all of them having the same needs and interests. We were able to have some great fieldtrips to the ambulance, firehall, art galleries, playdates by taking the bus, splashpads.

Now that the oldest 3 have moved on and I have taken in 3 younger children over the past year I'm back to 3 in diapers, 2 who can't walk or talk and 2 three year olds I'm finding it quite a challenge with the age differences for crafting, field trips we can't make anymore and menu planning. I really prefer to have all the children close in age and now I see that starting them as babies together works great.

daycaremom9
01-17-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm wondering how you daycare providers that have more than one baby deal with them and the snow. I have 2 babies just over the age of 12 months. I've never had them together but that is about to change. Anyway I was out in the snow with one of the 12 months old boys today and had him in the exersaucer; much to his discontent. I'm just wondering what to do with them until they start walking.

sunnydays
01-17-2012, 05:54 PM
I have the same problem! I have two exersaucers outside, but they don't like sitting there...it's boring, cold, uncomfortable in snowwsuits, etc. Now I am trying to do a lot of outside play when they are having their morning naps...hoping they will continue to nap twice until they are walking well enough to play ;) I also have an Ergo carrier I could put one in, but then the other is still unhappy. I think the babies need the fresh air too, so sometimes I do try to take them out as well, but it always ends up in crying all around.

I'm wondering how you daycare providers that have more than one baby deal with them and the snow. I have 2 babies just over the age of 12 months. I've never had them together but that is about to change. Anyway I was out in the snow with one of the 12 months old boys today and had him in the exersaucer; much to his discontent. I'm just wondering what to do with them until they start walking.

Momof4
01-17-2012, 06:04 PM
I have a plastic sled that holds my two babies so we can get outside and around a bit. One of the babies never leaves the sled but the other loves to crawl around in the snow and he stays a lot warmer because he's getting some exercise. Now if we could just get some snow I would be happy. We can't go out in all this mud!