PDA

View Full Version : Moving to another city - What to do?

Sandbox Sally
01-12-2012, 12:35 PM
When do I tell parents? Keep in mind, I live in Toronto, and dayhomes aren't as abundant as in smaller cities. I really don't want to shaft these parents, but by the same token, I can't have them walking away too early, as we need the income. I have a woman my age with my beliefs and the same kind of home as me the next street over who is willing to take all my dck's (she used to do it, but stopped to have her now 7 mo baby) if their parents are agreeable, so this will help soften the blow when it comes time to break the news.

Any thoughts?

Also, for my openings at the new house, do you think I should set up my daycare room first and begin advertising immediately, or after the whole house is unpacked. I really wish to avoid too long a gap without income. Who knows how long it'll take to fill my spots? Just trying to cover my butt, I guess.

Guess I am just looking for opinions, tips etc from those who have BTDT or even not.

dodge__driver11
01-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Maybe one months notice? As for the daycare in your new area, well I'd set it up and advertise, but its all in what you are okay with, tell parents that you are new to the area and moving in... I am sure they'd be cool with that--

When I was advertising for my daycare I hadn't opened yet so some things were set up and others were not, I told them that they could stop in at any time once I was opened to check out the play area and most were happy with this.

Good Luck! Where ya moving?

Spixie33
01-12-2012, 12:44 PM
I would give between 4-8 weeks notice for the parents. That's what I would do if I ever had to or decide to. It doesn't mean that they will leave immediately but it will take them a few weeks to probably find someone. They might not want to go with the person you recommend but it is a nice idea for you to do that and it will soften the blow.

In regards to the daycare...I would set up the daycare room first and advertise because it will take time to get some bites. Other areas may not be as busy as Toronto. Some of the suburbs are pretty slow and could take months before you get a call. I would get the ad out there, be ready and then unpack while you wait

Good luck

Sandbox Sally
01-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the well wishes, women. I think I'll need the luck. Seems the area has MANY providers. You really think 4-8 weeks? Sigh...I was thinking more like 3-4. Again though, I don't want to shaft anyone. The closings seem really quick these days, like "immediate" or "30 days". I guess I'll know more after we do another house hunt this weekend.

Spixie33
01-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the well wishes, women. I think I'll need the luck. Seems the area has MANY providers. You really think 4-8 weeks? Sigh...I was thinking more like 3-4. Again though, I don't want to shaft anyone. The closings seem really quick these days, like "immediate" or "30 days". I guess I'll know more after we do another house hunt this weekend.

Yeah I would think 4-8 weeks.
Even if they call other providers and set up interviews it will take them a couple of weeks to interview and chances are that the next provider won't have a spot starting the next day. I usually interview and do a start date a week or two away
But you don't want to leave the parents panicked and having to find someone in a pinch that they don't feel comfy with.
I once had a provider give me notice when she thought she was moving and it was 6 weeks out and I was still panicked and blind sided. She ended up changing her mind about moving and I was relieved but I was really panicked as a parent. lol

Sandbox Sally
01-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Thing is, I don't know if I can do that...if the closing is flexible, I can. But I am unable to pay two mortgages at once. If the deal comes out that we have to move in a month, that's what's going to have to happen. I was wondering if this was too little notice, and I guess it is. UGH. I really don't see another viable alternative.

sunnydays
01-12-2012, 01:53 PM
I suppose you could give them a heads up around two months before you plan to move and then confirm the date when you buy your new house. What else can you do? Tell them you will give at least one month's notice as soon as you have your closing date. That way they can start interviewing...altho ugh you may lose some a bit earlier that way. Tricky situation! Best of luck to you!

Cocoon
01-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Advertise first and see what happens. Set your day home before setting other areas of your house as you will be relaying on the income you are getting from your day home.

Parents' not always look at your set up. If their kids gel with you then that's it. When I was having interviews there was nothing in my house as I didn't know what age group I will be looking after so, I did not buy any toys or books yet. I'm sure you will be fine.

Regarding letting parents' know. What does it say in your contract? I would give them whatever it's in my contract. It is your business and you need to do whatever best for you!

And good luck with the move.

Cocoon

Emily3
01-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Hi! I am also in the gta and moving. I am also taking a short mat leave at the same time as moving so I obviously had to tell my parents way before we plan to actually move! I would start advertising for sure, at least to see if you get any bites! Is your current house already sold....otherwise the sign on the lawn would be an easy way of breaking the news, ha ha! If you have not yet sold your current house, you can just set closing date something that works best for you. The opposite problem can happen if you tell parents too early, then find your dream house with a 90 day closing leaving you without your original income. Best wishes for your big move!!

playfelt
01-12-2012, 03:51 PM
The fact you have already spoken with your friend that lives almost in the neighbourhood means you can relax a little in the telling in the sense that the parents won't be stuck even on short notice just the same as needing emergency backup. You have arranged care for them should you suddenly have to move and they have the choice to use it or not. Make sure the parents and your friend know that you all understand it is temporary until the parents or new caregiver decide otherwise and then it is up to them to stay, find another person etc.

Also if you are staying somewhat in the area plot where your parents actually work and you might be surprised to find some of them would follow you to the new house if it was on their way anyways.

You could start to drop some subtle hints that you are considering moving and why but in a way that doesn't make it sound urgent. Then at least your parents can't complain they weren't warned.

You can't really start advertising till you have found the house because you won't know what street area to put down. But as soon as you have your house even if it is a couple months till you move in you could start advertising then. Make it clear in the ad that you have a dayhome now and are moving to a new house and maybe mention something that will make it a better daycare than now such as the new house has a bigger play room or basement has a bathroom or a larger backyard - makes it sound like you did it with the daycare in mind.

mom-in-alberta
01-13-2012, 03:27 AM
Don't have much to add to the good advice above... :)
Just that I would say a MINIMUM of a calendar month's notice if you can. Or, whatever your contract says.
I would set up your daycare area first. Parents aren't (shouldn't) really care if your kitchen cupboards have been organized, lol.
Good luck with the move, and (presuming it's a good thing) congrats!! :)

DaycareLulu
01-13-2012, 09:20 AM
I am just being nosy and curious as to where you are moving? Only if you don't mind sharing? and good luck with everything:D!

Sandbox Sally
01-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Moving from Toronto to the eastern 'burbs - Durham region.

Thanks everyone, for the good advice. I think I'll be able to swing a calendar month's notice. My contract says 2 weeks notice, but I think a month is fair. I may tell them we're looking, as they're all great families that don't deserve to be left in the lurch.

Sandbox Sally
05-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Just looking back on this thread, as it's actually happening this time. Thanks again for all the great advice, ladies.

Do you really think that I should advertise now? Our moving date is Canada Day weekend.

sunnydays
05-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Definitely advertise now if you can! But, if you don't take posession of the new home until July, how are you going to conduct interviews? If it is near enough that they can come to your current daycare for the interview and you can show them what it will be like, that would maybe work, but if not, then you may be stuck not interviewing until you move. In which case, I probably wouldn't advertise until a few weeks before and say interviews start on X date. Good luck!

Sandbox Sally
05-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Definitely advertise now if you can! But, if you don't take posession of the new home until July, how are you going to conduct interviews? If it is near enough that they can come to your current daycare for the interview and you can show them what it will be like, that would maybe work, but if not, then you may be stuck not interviewing until you move. In which case, I probably wouldn't advertise until a few weeks before and say interviews start on X date. Good luck!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, re interviews. My sister in law suggested skyping. It's a good hour away from the new location, so I am doubting any prospective clients would make the jaunt. I could go to them, but I am wondering if they'd need to see my setup or if letters and pics from current clients might suffice. Ugh. If there's competition, and I know there is, I have a feeling I am going to be empty for a good while. Oh well. Save, save save.

apples and bananas
05-01-2012, 01:11 PM
If i was a parent trying to get into daycare I would wait to see the set up... the backyard.. ect. Then again, if there is a high demand for home daycare in your new area, people may want in sight unseen.

When I opened up I was moving, renovating ect. I set up a small section of the play room with foam floor and some toys and parents came to me, my unlived in, dusty, paint all over the place house. And they all signed up.

I think most people assume that if you're doing a home daycare you know how to set it up and the basics of safety, they are more concerned about meeting the provider and getting a good feeling off them.

Best of luck on the move and filling up quickly!

Mamma_Mia
05-01-2012, 01:20 PM
YAY! Come on over :D if we're close enough...playdates!

Advertise now, Actually depending on where you're moving to, I have a contact for 2 spots.
I had possesion of my house Jan 5 - started Daycare with playroom set up, a folding cards table in the kitchen with boster chairs and playpens Jan 8 - actually moved into my house Jan 14 :laugh: I wouldn't reccomend it but it's doable.

And 4-6 weeks notice IMO is enough since you are offering someone to go to already. BUT maybe make a deal with her or something somehow to the parents that she's can't take them in until XX date to C.Y.A.

Inspired by Reggio
05-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Congratulations on the move!

I would start lining up prospective clients now too if possible ... you can interview over the phone and do 'email photos of layout of the new home' ... if they are interested on signing on you could drive to meet them to sign paper work and so forth OR at least prebook spaces and sign contracts once they can actually SEE your space when you take possession - but you could at least get the ball rolling!

Momof4
05-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Can you advertise and state that you will be ready to interview potential parents in your current home, but moving on July 1st and have pictures of your new home to show during an interview? You can tell them about the similarities and differences that there will be in your new setup, but you can tell them the kind of daycare you run and about your program, let them get to meet you, etc. It may work or it may not, but what have you got to lose?

Oops, I just read Reggio's comment, so I should have just said - I agree with Reggio, hehe.:o