PDA

View Full Version : How much do you pay for home daycare insurance?

Lou
01-13-2012, 01:16 PM
I am looking to get insured and am wondering what others are paying and who you go through? We are located in South Western Ontario, and were just quoted $1000/year but that seems like a lot to me!
Any tips/advice?

Crayola kiddies
01-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Generally you just get a rider on your current house insurance and it's about 250$

Spixie33
01-13-2012, 01:26 PM
I am north of the GTA and I think I pay around $90-100 a year more on home insurance than before once I insured my house for the daycare.
Do you mean you are paying $1000 a year for the house with daycare insurance or that it will cost $1000 a year extra?

Lou
01-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Maybe my husband misunderstood him (he was on the phone with him), but he made it sound like it was going to be $1000 more per year. when you called to arrange your insurance id you actually say "I'm opening a home daycare?". When we called, my husband discussed with the gentleman that I was thinking of opening a home daycare and was looking into insurance. He said that I need to forward all of my qualifications and fill out an application but it was looking to be about $1000/year. Seems too much!!!

Emily3
01-13-2012, 01:56 PM
That sounds totally crazy!! I have a small daycare, only 3 kids and we have a rider on our home insurance policy to cover those three kids for $38 per year. We are with TD Monex in gta area. My husband added it to our policy over the phone with no details other than number of children!!

Lou
01-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Just talked to my husband and he didn't misunderstand and that it would be $1000 MORE per year!!! Spixie and Crayola, may I ask who you get your insurance through? Thanks!

playfelt
01-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Check out co-operators or state farm. They are the only two major companies that still will cover 5 daycare children. I have a rider on my home insurance and it is around $300 a year. Be very careful to get in writing how many are covered. Allstate will only cover 3.

One of the reasons it is so high could be because you needed 5 children covered not the usual 3 allowed with a rider. If that is the case consider switching your policy to one of the first two I mentioned. We are with co-operators for house and auto and have been very satisfied with how we have been treated.

Also there is a difference between business insurance and a rider on your home policy for a home based business. I also pay $50 a year to cover my educational felt I sell and that covers things like if it is lost in a disaster or a person falls coming to pick up an order that sort of thing. Again on my home policy not a separate business policy.

sunnydays
01-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Aviva is also good. I found them to be a lot cheaper than cooperators. We were with TD Monex, but they don't really cover daycare. They would have added a rider, but it only covered things like parents slipping and falling on the walkway...it would not cover anything that happened to a daycare child. When calling around, you need to be careful to get all the details of what is covered.

Lou
01-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Thank you!

Spixie33
01-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Just talked to my husband and he didn't misunderstand and that it would be $1000 MORE per year!!! Spixie and Crayola, may I ask who you get your insurance through? Thanks!

Hi Lisa
I am with coseco/DirectProtect
They cover me up to 5 daycare kids...PLUS my own. So I am covered up to 7 kids basically if needed. I called them after I already had daycare going because quite frankly I never knew that you should/could have insurance on the daycare until i took a course and I got scared at the thought of lawsuits for broken arms or accidents. :unsure:
I was so close to shifting insurance companies earlier this year because I found another company much cheaper for our vehicles but they would not cover me for the same amount of kids. Be careful with that. Some insurance companies will say they cover you for 5 kids but that is INCLUDING your own. be sure to specify if your kids are separate or included in their count.
I just made a simple phone call to my current insurance company and once I asked them the cost they said I HAD To insure the daycare now that I admitted to having a daycare running in my home.
I don't mind. It really isn't much money a year and it does give peace of mind that if a parent does get lawsuit -crazy (God forbid something were to happen).

I hope this links you to their contact info
http://www.411s.ca/views.aspx?LinkID=51 5213392

I also saved money when I told them I was a Costco member. It actually saves me a couple of hundred per year

2angels
01-25-2012, 09:46 AM
I'm looking for insurance as well. I'm currently with TD but as kangaroomama said, they don't really cover daycare and they only cover up to 6 kids including your own (I have 2, so this would limit me to 4 dck). I tried Coseco as suggested by spixie but unfortunately, they only deal with group insurance (they are the group branch for Cooperators). State Farm and Cooperators are both a bit more expensive. Any other suggestions?

Judy Trickett
01-26-2012, 08:09 AM
I am with Meloche Monnex (TD) and I have a daycare ryder on my house insurance policy.

- one million in liability
- $30,000 to cover lost items related to the daycare in case of flood, fire etc
- allows me six children under the age of six (redundant in ON but good for provinces who allow more kids)

Cost - $17 a month

playfelt
01-26-2012, 08:13 AM
Judy is that 6 children total or 6 daycare children in addition to your own. That is what we were running into when first looking. We had a group policy here in Ottawa for many years but then the company got out of the daycare market and we each had to find our own provider. While my kids are older so it isn't as much of an issue those with 2-3 of their own small children would no longer be covered for more than 3 daycare children as it was total children (own plus daycare).

carewithlove
05-10-2013, 02:21 PM
We had this problem 3 years ago and was very complicated. People paying over $1000/year for premium are doing the right thing.
A rider on your home insurance is not a daycare insurance... it will never cover: liability for abusive accusations or any other lawsuit that originates from your customers (and trust me, customers can do that very easy) it will not protect 5 children plus your own and the very limited and useless coverage is just applied to the limits of your property.
To have a minimal childcare coverage that extends to ALL the children in your care and really covers you also outside your property (where most accidents happen like parks, playgrounds and wadding pools, etc) you will have to pay that $1000/year and if you are dropping off and picking up the children from school with your private vehicle you need the "paying passengers" insurance on your vehicle too... that is about $100/year otherwise you are not covered for any children in your care that are transported in your car...

Hope this helps and always ask the whole set of questions.... and never get a home rider for you childcare...

Trace of Angels
05-10-2013, 08:00 PM
I am with Meloche Monnex. I have six kids in my care (including my own) and I have a hired helper. They cover me for the kids and the helper while on my property and in my care. For any injury that any child gets while on my property or in my vehicle. And any parent on my property.
And since I don't plan on abusing any children LOL....I think and feel that I am covered just fine. I called and inquired today and they are sending me another copy of all the inclusions and exclusions for the ryder on my home. Once I look it all over if I feel that I am not adequately covered I may look more into it.
But lets face it. We live in Canada. Us Canadian folk don't often sue each other.......we are not lawsuit crazy like some other countries south of the border.
And if you are planning to do field trips wouldn't a signed waiver by a parent be adequate enough coverage to not get sued? Something that says they are aware of the risks and agree for the child to participate in field trips. Much like I had to sign for my school aged child to go on field trips?

rosemarysdaycare
12-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Hi, I am in London Ontario, have insurance for 5 children and that cost me $125.00 per year.

Secondtimearound
12-08-2013, 06:32 PM
I am in Alberta and I pay $55 a month for 5 children but I have 2 million on each child . I was told now a days that is what is recommended . I have insurance on my vehicle as well as I drive one child to school . My insurance covers everything except of course abuse !! I added a rider on my home insurance as well to cover equipment and such .

MonkeyPrincess
12-09-2013, 12:51 PM
I think the answer is going to different based on what insurance companies you ask.

The extra $1000 premium, is the commercial liability insurance, if i understand correctly. As it was explained to me by an insurance rep, if you are operating your daycare as a registered business, with legit receipts, contracts etc, then this is the proper insurance you should have. Some companies do not offer it.

If you are a more casual DCP, and you take care of a just a few kids, and don't operate so much like a business, you will be fine with an insurance rider, as i understand it.

Secondtimearound
12-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Mine is classified as commercial , I asked them to make sure I was fully covered !!!

sandylynn
12-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Stay away from state farm....rip off! Most expensive insurance company....aviva is great

Emmie
08-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Hi I am also looking for insurance in the mississauga, ontario area. As well as a good accountant if anyone knows of one with hone daycare experience??

Quazi Fil Akmam
08-16-2016, 05:25 AM
I am looking for a liability insurance for my home daycare. Tell me how to do.