PDA

View Full Version : Renew or buh-bye!

gcj
01-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Debating whether or not to renew a contract that is soon ending. The child began in Sept and it's been iffy since the beginning. She had a 3 month contract (standard) then when I would have given one for the remainder of the year, I only gave 2 months since I was unsure. Now that those 2 months are ending, I'm even more unsure. The parents are just odd....not the sort of family I'm used to. One example is this week...they were 2 hours late to pick her up. I close at 5pm and they showed up at 6:50 without even calling. He said he didn't have my #. Who doesn't have the # of their child's daycare!?!?! Which obviously I've given!
Here's my pro/con list. Pros: she's 4 (easy care...no diapers...)-goes to preschool 3 ams/week -naps amazingly! Cons: parents drive me nuts- ZERO communication -Still waiting for my post-dated cheques since Sept (they always come through, but I ask for post-dated cheques to avoid having to repeatedly ask for payment.
I just wonder if the pros are worth it.....Any advice?

jec
01-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Go with your gut feeling.
I have just recently 'helped' my daycare family make the decision to end care and move on. We are just not the right fit. This daycare mom has no filter and from day one I thought she was a little off.
Sounds like you are better to end it before you get into a poor situation like I have. Thankfully you have the contract renewal coming up....
The fact that the parents drive you nuts..it will only get worse when little things will really drive you around the bend and it's not worth it.
Good luck!

mom-in-alberta
01-16-2012, 03:16 AM
Tough... do you need to fill that spot if she leaves? How quickly do you seem to fill spaces, usually? This may be a determining factor, as in "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"?
I agree that this will likely end up in more issues for you. Perhaps, if you are concerned about filling the spot, do another short term contract. HOWEVER: I would lay the smack-down (lol) about the lateness and the cheques. Let them know that late pick-ups will not be tolerated, and that if something comes up you MUST be notified. Failure to comply will result in immediate termination. What, no 411 or phone books in the area dad was in?? Come ON. Even if he didn't have your number (which he should have!!!).... please. And I would not allow them to come if they don't drop off a number of cheques equal to the contract care dates. No money, no care. I HATE chasing people down for money.
It doesn't sound like you have an issue with the child, or else I would say tell them to take a hike. Maybe if you get a little hard-nosed with the parents, the working relationship will improve.

gcj
01-16-2012, 07:27 AM
filling the spot is NO problem! I do have issues with the child as well, but of course due to the parents. Every tantrum= them promising her a surprise! But I can handle child-issues. Parents are the bigger problem. It's just a bad match. I knew in my heart when I took her on, but in all honesty I was swayed by her schedule. Not sure that's enough anymore!

Crayola kiddies
01-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Well if you can fill the spot right away then I think its a no brainier .... You are not paid enough to have to deal with these types of disrespectful parents .... Hopefully you have a late fee in your policy and you should enforce it make them pay for cutting into your family time

Isawitfirst
01-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Two hours late is unreasonable unless an emergency has occurred. Did you have phone numbers to reach them? I keep back-up numbers of family members for cases like this. I agree with the post-dated cheques - monthly if possible to eliminate the hat in hand scenario. I think your gut reaction is telling you to let them go but unfortunately these days economics play a big part of deciding to terminate a family.

Sunflower
01-16-2012, 01:46 PM
2 hours late ??
That is a huge lack of respect... that is a lie and there is no excuse for picking up your child 2 hours late.
I would honestly not renew the contract if filling that spot is not a factor... even if it was... I would be too proud to let them do that to me.
They obviously don't think very highly of the woman who spends her days educating and caring for their child!

Momof4
01-16-2012, 04:09 PM
If you have no problem filling the space then get rid of them! Two hours late would be the final straw for me, without a phone call? I would be livid! I would ask them to pay an extra day's pay or something outrageous I would be so angry. Get some clients who respect you and don't feel the least bit guilty about it. I had to terminate some clients in my first year and it's really difficult but the burden that lifts off your shoulders once they are gone is amazing.

mom-in-alberta
01-17-2012, 04:05 AM
Well, that answers that, then....... BUH BYE! :p

gcj
01-17-2012, 05:32 AM
Well, I had an awesome visit with someone yesterday, so when the dad I arrived I broke the news....even without confirmation that the other one would take the place. If it's not them, it'll be another "normal" family. No more procrastinating. And I knew that if I didn't do it spontaneously I'd be awake saying it over and over in bed all night. I wanted to sleep :laugh: And I did.
Now I hope the other one confirms today. Or I keep looking. Water under the bridge. Thanks for the nudge I needed to make the decision!

Lou
01-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Out of curiosity- how did the parents take it?

gcj
01-18-2012, 08:22 AM
Their reaction was as weird as they are. Almost no reaction when I told the dad. Just said he wishes I'd told them sooner. I told him as soon as I decided. I didn't get into all the reasons. They're beyond help. If you don't know you're that much of an idiot, I can't help you! MAybe they knew they'd gone too far, though...maybe that's why he wasn't surprised. I have a feeling that they've bounced around a lot. VERY sad for little girl... When I saw the mom, I was expecting questions or at least "that's too bad" or something, but she hasn't even mentioned it.

mamaof2monkeez
01-18-2012, 10:33 AM
I joined the forum just to respond to you as I was fuming when I saw your post LOL!! I would give notice, I donot tolerate unexplained lateness and would NEVER have a family dare try that LOL! I also only take cash payments to avoid asking for pay, plus I have first/last deposits so I never take a loss of pay. I hope you fill it soon :-)

gcj
01-18-2012, 12:55 PM
I joined the forum just to respond to you as I was fuming when I saw your post LOL!! I would give notice, I donot tolerate unexplained lateness and would NEVER have a family dare try that LOL! I also only take cash payments to avoid asking for pay, plus I have first/last deposits so I never take a loss of pay. I hope you fill it soon :-)

It was filled the same day. By what seems like the perfect family for my daycare. Hopefully it's not too good to be true....:p
I traded an independent 4 year old who goes to preschool for 3 morning/week for a 10 month old baby. Just goes to show how important the parents are.
I'm excited to start with the new family. :)