PDA

View Full Version : Parent calling to speak to the child

nesya
01-17-2012, 01:03 PM
this particular parent called to speak to her child when the child started daycare with me. she said she would like to speak because the child is new and would like to assure him she would be there after work so that he doesnt have a hard day crying. she called everyday.after 2 weeks i had to talk to her saying i cannot allow her to speak to her child. there are other children too and if they cry to speak to their parents? she stopped for a few days and now again the same routine. i have told her on the phone when she calls too but she insists on speaking. how can i handle this? is it ok for me to not allow her to talk to her child? how many of you let the children speak to their parents during daycare time?

Play and Learn
01-17-2012, 01:13 PM
None of my parents call during my work hours, unless they want to tell ME something. I would stop it right now, and tell her it is disrupting your day. OR just don't answer her calls.

Explain to her that her calling is putting a stop to your routine, and that we wouldn't want that. Remember - you're the boss - it's your rules. She doesn't like it, tough!

Lou
01-17-2012, 01:18 PM
I would just stop answering. Change your voicemail settings to say cheerfully "the children and I are busy with our day and can't get to the phone, if it is an emergency please leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as possible" lol. Maybe she'll take a hint???

fruitloop
01-17-2012, 02:43 PM
None of my parents call to speak to their kids. It is disruptive to the daycare and the kids. If anything, it's more harmful than good for the kid. She is doing it to appease her own guilt of having to leave her child there...this has NOTHING to do with the child and everything to do with HER. I would put a stop to it now by either telling her straight out...no more calls unless it is to tell me you're going to be late/early at p/u ....or just not answer the phone when she calls.

Isawitfirst
01-17-2012, 02:47 PM
I agree with Play and Learn and Lisa. Also, after two weeks the child should be nicely settled in and Mom's daily phone call just reminds her she is not with Mommy and at home which could be upsetting. You have warned her, now follow through with Lisa's suggestion - change message and don't answer.

Judy Trickett
01-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Oh, Good Lord - NO! First off, it is actually MORE upsetting to a child to have contact with the parent during the day but not be WITH the parent. Second, you then get to deal with the fall out of that child being upset. Third, it puts a kink in your day.

Just say NO and leave it at that.

YOUR DAYCARE - YOUR RULES. Period.

Momof4
01-17-2012, 03:36 PM
That's a big old NO! I know some people allow nursing mothers to pop in at lunch and other things like that, but I think all the children would be upset because once they see one Mom they expect all of them to follow shortly. I agree with the person who recommended letting it go to voicemail. Then you can check it after to make sure there isn't any emergency.

Crayola kiddies
01-18-2012, 07:54 AM
I would tell the parent that the calls are becoming upsetting to the child and that she has to stop and then don't answer if she insists on calling and if it becomes a further issue tell her that you have to terminate care as this is very disruptive to the child and therefore to the day and she'll most likely change her tune quickly

waterloo day mom
01-18-2012, 09:25 AM
"when you call to speak with X it upsets them and disrupts our schedule and their adjustment to daycare. Please call during naptime if you feel the need to discuss how their day is going"

no kid germs on my phone. they touch everything else, they don't need to touch my phone.

mom-in-alberta
01-18-2012, 10:52 AM
I am just curious; how old is the child? How does he/she respond to mom's calls?
I would also ask/demand that it stop. What an interruption in your day, because SHE feels bad about being at work. It also may be that there are trust issues with your care, which is unfortunate.

Spixie33
01-18-2012, 11:40 AM
I have seen daycare ads telling parents that they can skype with their child during the day.
I can't even imagine how a provider could commit to that and find the time to go sit in front of a webcam with the kids.

I have never had a parent call for their child. They are all too young to really talk on the phone - aren't they? That would mean you have to stay there holding the phone?:rolleyes:

I have parents sometimes call to tell me something but definitely not to talk to their kids. Most of the time they don't even ask about how their child is doing when they call.

nesya
01-20-2012, 11:50 AM
oh yes mom in alberta. i am sure she doesnt trust me. and i have told her if she doesnt trust me theres no point. the child is more than 3 yrs. she is more than 4 months under my care.the reason parents give me now is that the child doesnt cry under my care but they want to call and speak to the child just for their satisfaction. i dont worry if they leave bu they dont want to and i am not sure if its a valid reason for me to give her a letter. but yes i am not going to answer their calls anymore during daycare hours. i just thought it was rude not to. and they kept on calling every minute until i answered. so sometimes i felt like just replying the call and finishing it off for the day than hearing the phone ringing every minute.

playfelt
01-20-2012, 12:19 PM
You have told the mom no calls and that you won't be answering the phone and she shoudl leave a message - she needs to read the story of the boy who cried wolf - someday she is going to need to tell you something important and will get ignored. Set the phone to go to answering machine and turn the ringer off. A quick glance at the phone every now and then will let you know if anyone has called and you listen to the message and reply only if it is a real friend - most of my friends know not to call during the day so any calls I get are usually telemarketers or rogers concerned about how many phone services I dont' subscribe to that they offer.

Another option is to answer the phone and just tell her sorry your child is busy playing right now and can't come to the phone would you like to leave a message....!

jec
01-20-2012, 12:52 PM
I agree with everyone ~ it's disruptive to both the little one and everyone else.

One thing I have learned through my experience of being a daycare provider with my own business ~ there is a difference between working with parents and letting them micro manage you and call the shots.
An idea if she seems to dig her heals in the ground after you tell her she can't call anymore, offer alturnatives like tell the Mom to make a special craft like a heart and she keeps one piece and the little one gets the other and when Mom picks up her little one the heart will be one again?? If this little one is suffering from separation anxioty then she is only making things worse.

playfelt
01-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Sounds like separation anxiety in reverse. Take a picture of the child at daycare and give it to the mom to keep at work just like we would ask the parents to leave a picture with the child.

jec
01-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Sounds like separation anxiety in reverse. Take a picture of the child at daycare and give it to the mom to keep at work just like we would ask the parents to leave a picture with the child.

I think playfelt is right ....sounds like Mom might be the one who needs to be torn away!