PDA

View Full Version : Newbie :-)

mamaof2monkeez
01-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Hi am Jen from Ontario. I am a Child and Youth Worker but gave up my career 5 years ago when I had a premature son and started doing daycare. My kids are now 7and 5 and I am still doing it.
It is tiring at times dealing with constant turnover in my end of town...lots of Montessori programs opening at our schools. I have applied for jobs back in the mental health field BUT am learning that leaving my career may not have been a wise choice since I cannot get back in. I am concerned how I will be impacted once all the early learning programs are complete in the next 2 years. And with our schools offering before/after care it has affected my wait list for sure. As long as my spots are filled I keep plugging away LOL!
I ran a daycare forum for 3 years with about 70 members but closed it and took a computer hiatus for a year...but it lured me back LOL!

mom-in-alberta
01-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Hey Jen... welcome. I have found this forum to be a great resource for both practical and emotional support. Hope you do too!!
:)

Play and Learn
01-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Welcome Jen! Whereabouts are you located in Ontario? I'm in Kemptville.

mamaof2monkeez
01-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Hey there I am in Guelph

playfelt
01-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Many caregivers in my area including myself only care for kids not in school so even the move to full day JK/SK isn't affecting us as we didn't do the half day either because of the bus runs.

What will effect us is the new push for 2 year olds in daycare/school but not sure that will actually happen widespread as there are too many issues starting with things like diapers, self-feeding issues which will change the ratio needs. This is the group that sometimes goes to preschool/nursery school now anyways.

We would still have kids up to 2 1/2 in daycare depending on when their birthday was so my program wouldn't change all that much.

A lot of caregivers would be put off since they don't want the babies so would be looking for other work which would leave more kids to go around for those that don't mind the babies. It will really have it's most impact on how comfortable a caregiver is with a certain age group.

Momof4
01-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Welcome, I'm in London. I find it funny that you mentioned the daycare forum you ran. 70 members is a good amount of childcare providers. I belong to a group and we decided to start our own forum too and we love having it for advertising and support but we don't have 70 members!

playfelt
01-25-2012, 06:55 PM
When I lived in London (1994 - 2000) I belonged to a childcare support group. Does the name Joyce Larsh mean anything to you. She was one of the founders of the group and they got some support from those running the Ottawa group at the time. I had been in the Ottawa group before moving to London.

Momof4
01-25-2012, 08:25 PM
When I lived in London (1994 - 2000) I belonged to a childcare support group. Does the name Joyce Larsh mean anything to you. She was one of the founders of the group and they got some support from those running the Ottawa group at the time. I had been in the Ottawa group before moving to London.

Yes, Joyce was a very hard working advocate for home daycare providers in our city. Just last year she shut down her group because she had been doing it for so many years. Sometimes it's a small world isn't it?

playfelt
01-26-2012, 06:15 AM
Yes, Joyce was a very hard working advocate for home daycare providers in our city. Just last year she shut down her group because she had been doing it for so many years. Sometimes it's a small world isn't it?

That is one of the advantages of a military lifestyles - you do get around, lol. Spent 5 years in Calgary 1985-1990 (lived in Canyon Meadows area) so know some of the places those ladies mention too. Lived in Cape Breton for 3 years too but didn't start my daycare till we moved to Calgary. In London we lived in the Westmount area off of Andover. If you see Joyce please say HI.

jec
01-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Hi Jen, I'm Jen as well. I just joined ~ seems like a great group to be a part of!!

Skysue
01-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Hi am Jen from Ontario. I am a Child and Youth Worker but gave up my career 5 years ago when I had a premature son and started doing daycare. My kids are now 7and 5 and I am still doing it.
It is tiring at times dealing with constant turnover in my end of town...lots of Montessori programs opening at our schools. I have applied for jobs back in the mental health field BUT am learning that leaving my career may not have been a wise choice since I cannot get back in. I am concerned how I will be impacted once all the early learning programs are complete in the next 2 years. And with our schools offering before/after care it has affected my wait list for sure. As long as my spots are filled I keep plugging away LOL!
I ran a daycare forum for 3 years with about 70 members but closed it and took a computer hiatus for a year...but it lured me back LOL!

Jen are you from Barrie?