PDA

View Full Version : Missed Appointments parents excuses

cloverof4
01-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Please tell me if Im wrong. I had a perspective family No show 2 times. First we set up the appointment. A no show She had my email and Cell Number about 5 days later I get an email say hey how about we try this again. I responded with. I was certain we had a confirmed appt and I got no call etc I assumed yo had moved on. Please know my time is very Precious to me. It states why My time is So Important to me in my ad. I have a Daycare Child who has been fighting Cancer for well over a year. I make it a point to be available to the Family whenever Possible.For treatments appts Respite whatever they need and just to keep his life as normal as possible (I also Do this for Free)She said yes she was a professional and prided herself on that she had a family issue she would be there period for the second try. Ok so I could only do it on a Sat so the appt was set. I also had a play date with my little friend that day. This was confirmed the friday at 130 pm sat appt for 10 am again she is a NO SHOW. I was Chocked. 1 and a half Hours later I sent her an email stating that I was a professional and my Time was again precious thank You very much for wasting my time and no call no email etc.I also mentioned that fact that she was looking for Part time care which is hard to find so Good luck with that Later that day I received and email from her stating that she told me she missed the first appt due to family issue and that Over night her father had passed away so she would seek care elsewhere and wanted her daughter to be influenced by someone who actually had a heart.WOW. I then sent her and email stating first and foremost I was sorry for her loss and that Losing a loved one is one of the hardest things in the world. However due to her not even emailing me or texting me until I contacted her was still inconsiderate as I could Have spent Valuable time with a 3 yr old Fighting for his LIFE. And the fact that I do this for free I am a Cancer Society Volunteer for Years Relay For life Organizing Committee member for years a Team Capt for Relay and a Fundraiser for my little Friend to cover costs of travel for treatment among other Volunteer interests. That fact that Clients are Family to me , I have a grown Daughter with a Heart Condition , and a Mother with severe Multiple Sclerosis for which I am an only child so I have alot on my plate. Yet If for some reason if her child was in my care would it be acceptable and one of my loved ones was an issue would it be ok for me Not to let her know that My door would be locked and No care would be available. UGGG . Meanwhile I feel Like crap but Im happy I dodged that one. I a WRONG being ticked.

dodge__driver11
01-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Personally I give them ONE SHOT--I do not have time to waste because as you said you have a life outside of your dayhome. I give them 30 mins to show up after there apt time, then I move on if they are late and come afterwards I do not answer the door, is as simple as that.

playfelt
01-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Not wrong to be ticked and not totally sure I buy the familiy's excuses since she didnt' offer any explanation earlier from the sounds of it. Even if I had missed an appointment and been too busy dealing with the death to call them I certainly would have been telling them when I called to reschedule with the idea of making excuses, trying to explain myself. Sounds like she is a professional - one who assumes the rest of the world is there to do her bidding and she owes no one an explanation of her actions. I would totally pass on this one even if she calls back because it has gotten off to a bad start and you haven't even met yet.

cloverof4
01-20-2012, 12:23 PM
LOL Playfelt my thoughts exactly about the Professional Comment. I wasnt really buying the excuses either but trying to give the benefit of the Doubt. It appears to me to be a High maintenance Family and I would most likely want To Duel the Mom. My little buddys Mama and I were talking about the situation She informed me that No I was to Call her and She would Duel the Parent on my Behalf ha ha. I am very Fortunate with Most of my Families we seem to have mutual respect for each other. So Im glad I wasnt duped in this situation and Bring a bad seed into our little group

Momof4
01-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Wow, I think you dodged a bullet. Always remember that in any stage of the interview process you find yourself questioning anything that it is better to move on to another family. If you start out with worries it usually only gets worse. I've been in both situations, clients who got worse and I had to terminate and clients who learned that they must stick to my contract and I am fair but tough about my business. It's so difficult to know what kind of client you are taking on, but watch for all the red flags and go with your gut and observe parents and children very, very carefully as you interview.

I like to interview after daycare hours so I can really observe the family then set up a playdate before the contract is signed during daycare hours so I can observe the Mom and baby around the other children. Both of these situations give me a great idea of how things will go. If you see the red flags pop up then ask about them and get straight answers. If you see too many red flags you will know it and say no.

In your case clover, I wouldn't even write back to this family, just cross them off your list.

mom-in-alberta
01-21-2012, 01:24 AM
2 no shows = no thank you.
I wouldn't even engage in discussion with this woman anymore. You don't need to waste your time telling her about what better things you could have been doing, nor do you want to waste it listening to her excuses.
If she was going through family issues, I sympathize. But there is no excuse for absolutely no communication whatsoever. Send a text for crying out loud! Takes 2 seconds.