PDA

View Full Version : Question about prospective families vacation!

lunademiel
01-24-2012, 02:02 PM
I am just opening my dayhome in May. I have a prospective Parent that I have agreed to enroll since last fall. (we have to secure spots here VERY early as there is such a huge demand for childcare). She just asked me about a holiday she is taking spring 2013 (I'm happy she's being upfront). She will be gone for 2-3 weeks. She wants to hold her childs spot for the 2-3 weeks but wants some sort of deal. Now I know I can say no and fill her space today. I have already turned away around 5 kids for this spot. BUT she is the neighbor, a friend, the little girl will be my girls close friend as they are growing up together across the street. I know how hard it would be to pay for childcare when not using it BUT I'm not the one going on vacation. I need the income.

Any ideas???? I like this family (so far) although I'm not sure what they are really going to be like as clients.

HELP! :confused:

Sheena

playfelt
01-24-2012, 02:21 PM
If you charge them half the rate it is like both get a deal and when you think about it you aren't really losing that much because you aren't giving the child any food, craft supplies or using toilet paper, wipes, washing her bedding etc. for three weeks and the upside is that since the family feels they got a deal they stay loyal. But make it clear that it is an annual thing such as for only for a two week period so for three weeks it would be one week at full rates and half rate for additional weeks.

Play and Learn
01-24-2012, 04:14 PM
For parents what I have set up is this:

They get 2 weeks (10 work days) where they pay half their daily rate. After those two weeks are up, then full daily rates apply.

I also take a ton of holidays (upwards to 10 weeks per year which they signed upon), that the parents don't pay for (unless they are stat holidays).

Momof4
01-24-2012, 06:44 PM
First of all, be very careful taking on a friend, neighbour or relative and make sure they know you are a business woman during daycare hours. Let them know they have to follow the same contract as all the other people and you cannot give them special treatment. Trust me, you will be sorry if you let them walk all over you.

I take 3 weeks of holidays a year that my clients don't have to pay, but they have to pay full fees the other 49 weeks of the year no matter what happens, stats, sick days or family holidays. If I'm open, fees are due.

If I'm holding a space for a month I charge a holding fee of $100/month and that is LOW! You can ask for full fees if you know you could fill the space with another family. Take care of yourself and your family and your business because believe me, the daycare families will take care of themselves first and put you last. You don't want to learn all these lessons the hard way.

horsegirl
01-24-2012, 06:46 PM
You have to decide what works for you not what works for the parents. This is your business. If parents want the space they have to pay full rate. There are no discounts.--I am not a save-on daycare. I am very firm and the analogy I use is if you have a mortgage on your home and you are going away for 2 weeks holidays would you phone the bank and tell them that you are not going to pay for the 2 weeks you are not living in the home?? Same goes for a car loan. Now, if the parent can find someone to fill the spot and I interview them and they seem to be a good match for the daycare I will only charge the drop in family. If you can afford it and feel comfortable you may want to charge them only 80% of the rate. Good Luck :flower:

lunademiel
01-24-2012, 08:31 PM
All of your replies are so helpful. I'm still not sure what to do LOL! I am going to need to think about it. But the mortgage analogy really makes you think! I agree with the "not a save-on daycare". I guess the big thing here is, I am not the one choosing to take a holiday, so why should I have to pay for it.

decisions, decisions...

jec
01-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Yes, be careful of taking on friends or neighbours. This is your business and they may feel that since you know them, they can take advantage of different situations.

I have 2 1/2 weeks holidays and I give it to my daycare parents at the beginning of the year- they can plan around my holiday (which they don't pay for) to get covered with friends or family. Then my daycare families can take 2 weeks unpaid of their own if they choose. I do require 2 weeks notice for any time taken off from daycare unpaid...otherwise it's full fee.
It's not easy taking on people you know...good luck!

jodaycare
01-25-2012, 11:49 AM
I charge half fees for vacation time that the parents take. It must be taken in full week blocks, not a day here or there and they must give two weeks notice or full fees are due. The only time this changes is if they take the same weeks as I do then they don't pay anything unless Stat days fall during my vacation time.

sunnydays
01-25-2012, 12:31 PM
I don't give any free vacation time! Why should you have to lose out on your income because they decide to take a vacation! Personally, I would make them pay full fees. If they were with an agency they would have to pay...the same at a centre. I have a family who wants to take the whole summer off (she is a teacher), but they have agreed to pay for the entire summer to hold the spots as I could almost surely fill them...I just can't afford to lose out on all that income, much as I understand the parents' desire to save money.

mamaof2monkeez
01-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Be careful as you will then need to offer the same to your other families, and that is a huge setup for you. My parents get 5 days unpaid vacation, anything else they pay for. I am clear that I run a business not a charity. As others have said, I don't generally care for neighbors/friends, it generally never works out and they are the first to try and bend contracts lol. Good luck

lunademiel
01-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I think this is what I have decided.

They may take two weeks (10 days) at half rate. Must be taken in full week blocks, two weeks notice or they can take it at the same time as my holidays (which they know about in January) where they don't have to pay unless there is a stat. Anything over the two weeks is full pay.

I will include this in my policies for all my families.

I feel comfortable with this. I still get some pay but I get an extra free hand to concentrate a little more on my own kids and the other two dck's. And I will save a little on food and supplies.

Thanks again!