PDA

View Full Version : Ontario Family Day

jazmic
01-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Hi everyone,

This is officially my first post, although I've been lurking here for months. :)

I just wanted to know what to do... Family day is coming up next month in Ontario (and I think Alberta too). Anyway, Federal employees don't get that day off even though everyone else does. My clients work for the Federal government so I'm not sure what to do. Do I close for the stat holiday or do I stay open since they don't get that holiday?? I've only been running my daycare for a few months so I haven't run across that scenario before. I'd appreciate your insights.

Thanks!

jazmic

Momof4
01-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Hey guess what? YOU are the boss!

I hope you have a contract. My contract states clearly the days I am closed and I learned not to call the 'stats', but rather I call them 'closed days'. I do take Family Day off as well as Easter Monday and Christmas Eve Day which are not actually stats. I have one daycare Mom who works for the federal government too and she has to work Family Day but she gets Remembrance Day off, but I'm open. She makes other arrangements. A lot of people have to work Easter Monday and Christmas Eve day too but they make other arrangements.

My point would be for you to give your daycare families lots of notice (hopefully in a contract) and you don't have to feel the least bit guilty. I also give the families a newsletter and I post one in my entrance hallway which has reminders of all the important dates.

KingstonMom
01-25-2012, 09:29 PM
I have a child whose parents are also Govt employees...thanks for the info, I didnt know it was not a federal holiday! Better tell them now that Im closed! :)

mom-in-alberta
01-26-2012, 02:32 AM
I would close. YOU aren't a federal employee... so you get it off! :) The parents will need to make other arrangements.

Play and Learn
01-26-2012, 07:00 AM
I'm outside the Ottawa area, and in ON most people do get the day off. One of my parents however works in QC, so she still has to work. Family Day is stated in my manual as one of my PAID STAT HOLIDAYS.

MY business, so MY rules.

jazmic
01-26-2012, 07:16 AM
LOL. Ok, I guess there is consensus. I do have a contract that says I'm closed on all stat holidays. So I'll just remind them and give them enough time to make arrangements. Thanks, everyone! :)

playfelt
01-26-2012, 07:18 AM
I have mine worded that closure on Remembrance Day, Family Day and Easter Monday are at my discretion and I have varied it according to who I have in care and how my year has been going. A day off in Feb is so welcome.

jec
01-26-2012, 12:46 PM
You might want to add that you are closed stat and civic holidays
Like Momof4 says, you are the boss!
Not sure if helps, I give my daycare family a list of all stat and civic holidays that I am closed at the begining of the year ...as well as my holidays so there is no misunderstandings. I have it in my contract that I am to be paid for them as well.
Figure out what works best for you!

sunnydays
01-26-2012, 08:29 PM
The best thing to do is list the stat holidays you are closed for in your contract. Otherwise, it is a bit open to confusion. I renew contracts yearly and list the stats for which I am closed each year, including Family Day.

Momof4
01-27-2012, 09:33 AM
I couldn't agree more about stating the exact dates you will be closed in your contract or whatever booklet you use for policies. Don't ever leave anything open ended for parents because that isn't really fair to them. I want my dcparents to know before the year even starts which weeks I'm using for vacations and all the way to the end of the year which days I'll be closed at Christmas for the entire next year so they can make sure they have the days all booked off, such as Family Day or Easter Monday in case they have to work, but I'm closed. I want happy clients so I'm always clear and give them lots of notice.

jazmic
01-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Everyone has such good points. When I remind her about family day, I'll give her a list of the other closed days too.