PDA

View Full Version : Interviews gone wrong

jazmic
01-27-2012, 03:32 PM
What's the worst thing that ever happened while you were interviewing parents? :)

I was interviewing downstairs while my husband was watching my 2 year old daughter and 1 year old son upstairs. Then all of a sudden we hear a loud BANG followed by my one year old crying hysterically. I excused myself to go check on what the heck had happened. Turns out they were in the bathroom when he started whimpering. My husband turned over from wiping his hands and saw my son's hand was pinched in the door. In his rush to get to him, he basically brought the whole towel rack down and scared my son some more. That's why we heard the bang and then the crying. Anyway, needless to say those guys didn't sign with me. :)

Skysue
01-27-2012, 05:28 PM
LOL sorry still laughing at your post! For me it was when I interviewed a teacher, my little one was watching a Max and Ruby video (as we had a long day on the road and it was 6:30pm time for her to unwind). The lady was so fixated on the T.V that she said she didn't like T.V and didn't believe in it. I told her that we only watch it in the morning during drop off and in the evening for pick up (so I can clean up).
I didn’t even have cable at the time, as we didn't let our little one watch TV either. For whatever reason she didn't believe me and made me feel like crap. She even got an angry look on her face when she asked if her little one could have a glass of water. I told her we were fresh out and my husband was picking up 2 new jugs on his way home (water cooler jugs) and I offered her apple juice or milk she rolled her eyes and said tap water is just fine.

Like I’m some uneducated freak because I don’t think tap water is good! It isn’t good! Anyway I knew she wasn’t going to sign but it makes you feel like crap as you open up your home and they turn their nose up to you. That part of the job I hate!

I have been very lucky though as only 3 people in my 1yr & ½ of doing this haven’t signed with me. All of them had the exact same personalities! ANAL LOL

dodge__driver11
01-27-2012, 06:07 PM
read my post OMG that was the worst interview ever and you will know what strange is...;s

jazmic
01-27-2012, 06:46 PM
@gingerbread11 I just read it. wow... that was some pretty messed up stuff! People can be so weird!

dodge__driver11
01-27-2012, 07:34 PM
I know....

mom-in-alberta
01-28-2012, 01:15 AM
Worst interview so far was with a couple that was just very.... awkward. You know what I mean, you've met these people, I know it. LoL.
They didn't "get" any of my husbands jokey comments, just stared at him blankly. Small talk was very uncomfortable. They were super overprotective, I could tell. Their little girl got into one of my boys' hockey bags, that had an open zipper (doesn't usually, but of course it did that day!) and mom FREAKED about her cutting herself or something (the skates were nowhere in sight, and little one was just kind of poking around in the bag). They were horrified at the idea of me taking the children out of my home (clearly, I am supposed to stay completely housebound while caring for the kids).
On my end; I didn't have my home totally set up (baby gates weren't up yet, playroom wasn't totally organized, etc). I had only had older kids so far, so the "baby" stuff wasn't out yet. I had let the kids play unsupervised in the play room that afternoon, (so I could make sure the kitchen, etc was clean, hahaha). They, of course, chose that day to upturn ALL the toy buckets, and generally destroy the place. I didn't have any time to straighten up, since the interview was immediately after the last kid went home.
Needless to say, they were a no! And I am grateful for that; because my hubby saw this family at WalMart a few months ago and the kids were holy terrors!! Running amok in the store, with no parental control. I could tell that their kids "could do no wrong", and it's so hard to work with those parents!!

Spixie33
01-29-2012, 10:04 AM
I recently had two interviews where my OWN kids went wild. well.....my oldest did.

I always explain to them that they can come where I am interviewing and interact politely if they wish to but that they don't have to. I explain that we are trying to make a good impression so they need to be on their best behaviour.

Well.....my oldest who is 7 and should know better and is usually great in all other circumstances almost seemed to go out of his way on the last couple of interviews to misbehave.

He was standing up on the rocking horse with his feet, building towers of blocks and then collapsing it near the daycare parents and their young one, he was attacking his younger sister and bothering her deliberately even though she was minding her own business and not listening when I asked him to please stop or to stop the behaviour.

I felt like a deer in the headlights because my son was determined to misbehave and I could just see the gears turning in the parents' brains thinking that my own children were out of control so how could I possibly take care of theirs. I even caught some exchanged looks.

Once your own kids act up you cannot even make an excuse...it is basically a given that the interview is sunk:unsure: