PDA

View Full Version : General Liability

florence7319
01-31-2012, 03:18 PM
Hello all,

I am a private dayhome provider. My home insurance company won't insure me for any liability because I am running a dayhome in our home. So, I have no liability for business purposes. For example, if a dayhome child or parent falls on my sidewalk and they sue, I have no coverage.

Does anyone carry a general liability insurance policy for their private dayhome? If so, do you have a company that you reccommend?

sunnydays
01-31-2012, 04:38 PM
Yes, there is another thread about insurance where many of jus have responded. I use Aviva and they cover 5 daycare kids plus my own kids. It is extremely important to have the proper insurance because if something were to happen, you could lose everything!

carmacrdplan
03-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Where is this thread? I'm wondering the same thing - my broker has informed me that the insurance companies she's checked with will only cover 3 children - but the Ministry of Child/Youth states I can have 5. I'll have her check out Aviva though -

playfelt
03-01-2012, 06:40 PM
State Farm and Co-operators are the other two that will cover 5 children as a rider on your house insurance policy.Make sure you get the same rider on your automobile insurance if you are taking the kids in your car.

Inspired by Reggio
03-01-2012, 07:09 PM
I am with Cooperators as well ... a home childcare ryder on our existing home owners insurance plus an additional ryder on the van for liability.

Definitely make sure you get it in WRITING how many children you are insured for and if it included your own or TOTAL children in care regardless ... not that you would sue yourself if it was your kid injured but that you want it in writing that they are aware you are caring for more than 5 children in your home with the 5 'clients' plus your additional children - as some will ONLY cover the 5 children and in their eyes that is including your own as this is the licensing requirement so assumed 'best practice' so if something happened and you had 7 children in attendance even though you were 'legal' in that only 5 were 'clients' and in Ontario we can have 5 children in care plus or own they could 'deny' your claim because in their eyes you were only insured for 5 in attendance - a 'technicality' on your understanding verses theirs - shore it up by making sure your policy is CLEAR!

I have had peers who THOUGHT they were ok because their policy said 'insurance ryder to cover for care of up to 5 children' and when they called to inquire found out that included their own children so technically if an accident had occurred and investigation showed that 7 children had been on the premise the five clients plus their own two children - they would have been denied the claim for being 'over' the number of children as per the policy. Insurance companies look for anyway to DENY a claim - you want your wording VERY CLEAR!

I am with Cooperators and I was told by my agent my own children would be included, and my policy indicates that it is RYDER TO COVER FIVE CHILDREN IN ATTENDANCE TOTAL ... I do not have any young children of my own anymore so am fine with it not reading 'ryder to cover 5 plus providers own children under the age of 10' ... however if you HAVE children under the age of 10 residing in the home I would be wanting it clearly stating that on your policy so you know you are covered and have it in writing ... sorry but a broker can verbally tell you anything to get your business but if it is not in WRITING it is you left holding the bag dealing with the insurance company!

Grass Roots Gal
09-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Wow. I can't believe the run around I'm getting either. It's like the government wants to force day home providers to be controlled by them through agencies and approvals. I know there should be a standard but seriously. I'm an early childhood educator and have tried now 5 insurance companies. I cannot believe the amount of private day home providers who don't have insurance...I have seen this as a teacher and with the plethora of providers in my neighbourhood!

My insurance company won't and neither will Johnson or AMA. Unbelievable. It's very important to have coverage, especially if you're driving any children. But what a hoop to jump through. I'm hoping to have some luck with cooperators, but the guy didn't sound positive as I'm not an approved day home. *sigh*;)

Dreamalittledream
09-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Boo...I just called Co-operators to add the Ryder to mine. They cannot because of our pool (even though is is completely fenced off from our back yard, padlocked with a key and alarmed). So, he is looking into an alternative for me...yikes; sounds like big bucks!