PDA

View Full Version : Stinky business

Dreamalittledream
02-02-2012, 01:13 PM
How do you avoid the poopy odor in the air at your daycare, that is how do you store the stinky diapers to avoid it? I've been wrapping them in plastic shopping bags...but those are hard to come by these days ( a good thing) and still the odor permeates. :blink:

Play and Learn
02-02-2012, 01:15 PM
I put them in a bag (or I take the veggie bags from the grocery stores), and then put it in the garbage in the garage right away. Poopies NEVER stay in my house! lol

Skysue
02-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Get the doogy poop bags from the dollar store you get 48 & 60 for a dollar. They come vanilla scented you can fit 1 to 4 diapers in one bag if need be as soon as you change a bottom the bag goes outside in the garage.

I boil cinnamin and vanilla in a pot of water on the back burner of my stove at the end of each day so it cleans the air.

Bookworm
02-02-2012, 01:27 PM
I put the diapers in a plastic bag and keep it outside my backdoor so that I can add to it throughout the day. Once the kids are gone, it goes into the garbage can by the side of my house.

jec
02-02-2012, 01:30 PM
I go to the Dollarrama and they have biodegradable garbage bags and they have a light scent that I finds hold the odor in. However some times the diaper is too much for me to open up the bag again :blink:...then I grab another bag and just put the bag I don't want to open inside and then just use that bag for diapers. They are biodegradable so i don't feel bag and in expensive as it's $2 for 10 and it's only the odd time I get a whopper that I can't open the bag again :laugh:

Skysue
02-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Hi the dog bags from dollarama are biodegatable as well!

Get the doogy poop bags from the dollar store you get 48 & 60 for a dollar. They come vanilla scented you can fit 1 to 4 diapers in one bag if need be as soon as you change a bottom the bag goes outside in the garage.

I boil cinnamin and vanilla in a pot of water on the back burner of my stove at the end of each day so it cleans the air.

Dreamalittledream
02-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Any excuse is a good one for a trip to Dollarama;). Thanks everyone!

mom-in-alberta
02-02-2012, 02:24 PM
I use a Diaper Genie... but sort of dread opening it to change the bag somedays!! :p
I used to use plastic shopping bags, doubled up if necessary. But I didn't like it, because I know they aren't great for the environment.

Bugaboo
02-02-2012, 02:28 PM
I use the diaper genie and my husband changes the bag for me!!!!

lilac
02-02-2012, 04:11 PM
I keep a diaper pail just out the door into my garage, diapers go straight in there... makes the garage a little stinky in the summer, but at least its not my house!

Skysue
02-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Um hi can I marry your husband!

I use the diaper genie and my husband changes the bag for me!!!!

Spixie33
02-02-2012, 07:44 PM
I have biodegradable bags in my green bin. The green bin has a good locking lid and stays just inside the door of my garage. Every diaper change I hoist the diapers out and lock the lid.

It does get smelly during hot months but the lid closes tight enough so bugs haven't been an issue. Our recycling system picks up green bins every week and they allow diapers so I am lucky that way:)

I open the windows during the day several times to air out the house - even during the cold winter days. It gives some fresh air through the house and hopefully cleans the air. I would hate to think that the house smells poopy when parents come to pick up

playfelt
02-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Diapers aren't allowed here in the green bins. It's actually one of those things you get used to after awhile. I have more issues with a child pooping in the playroom in the basement where we don't get to move the air around as easily than I do upstairs where I do the diaper changes. It is just outside the bathroom so putting the fan on in the bathroom and leaving the door open helps a bit. I rarely have less than 4 in diapers so I just put them in a bag in the laundry room and out at the end of the day. I have a window in the laundry room I can open to air out the area.

Mamma_Mia
02-03-2012, 01:20 PM
I actuall got the doggy poppy bags at Winners! they were on sale 600 bags for $3.00!! Score! and any excuse for either a winners or dollarama visit, right? :-)

Dreamalittledream
02-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Wow great deal @ Winners. Recently? Will check it out for sure as our Dollarama is out of them. Not going to tell you how much I spent there anyway. I'm a Craft-aholic. There, I admit it. Support group? :D

sunnydays
02-03-2012, 01:38 PM
I accept and use cloth diapers...they go home at the end of the day :) One parent just gave me a good idea adn this could work for disposables as well...she puts a little cloth with essential oils on it into the wet bag...I am going to try putting one in the diaper pail too (I have some in disposables)...just pick a scent you like :) I open windows too. I also use a Diaper Champ...it's great and keeps the smell in.

playfelt
02-03-2012, 02:11 PM
I got the stick on air freshener and stuck that to the inside lid of my can in the laundry room which is one of those kitchen tall swing type - just don't get the orange citrus one - smells nice but doesn't work well with the poopy smell - creates a weird odour instead of taking it away. Anything with a baby powder type scent works fine.

I also spray the inside of the can - just a squirt of the lysol deodorizing spray in the morning before we start the day and it seems to keep a lot of the smell down.

Daycare123
02-03-2012, 02:32 PM
I use diaper genie-makes a world of difference!

clep
02-04-2012, 12:29 PM
I have several rooms in my day home for storage. I have a large garbage bin in one of my back rooms. The dirty diapers go in there, so I never have a bad smell.

mom-in-alberta
02-05-2012, 03:12 AM
Um hi can I marry your husband!

Hehe, was totally going to say the same thing... :laugh: