PDA

View Full Version : S/O closing for illness

mamaof4
02-03-2012, 09:44 PM
What are your criteria to take a sick day? Fever? Vomiting? Where is your line?

playfelt
02-03-2012, 10:20 PM
I base it on my ability to cope. If I am so sick I am falling asleep then that is pretty hopeless although it means my hubby would have to stay home to help with Brianne so would likely just let the kids come if the parents wanted as in give them the option to come to the house of a sickie.

It depends too on if I got sick from the daycare kids or not and how many paid personal days I have left for the year.

Cold, fever, chills, that achy feeling I usually stay open, make tylenol and tea my friends. Vomiting etc. is of course much harder to deal with. If I had been up all night sick then I would be more likely to close as I would at that point be too tired and exhausted. If I get sick in the morning I would cope for the day but probably ask hubby to come home at noon or as close to it as possible.

We of course would be parked in front of the tv in all circumstances so I could concentrate on being sick. But the parents would have care and for some that is all they care about. And getting paid to watch kids watch tv isn't a bad way to spend a sick day either and it keeps Brianne entertained.

Momof4
02-03-2012, 10:22 PM
You mean us as the providers? If I were vomitting I would take a day off so I didn't infect the children. I've worked with pneumonia, really bad chest congestion, colds of all kinds, but this year I had to close for a day because I was almost passing out with my coughing fits because they were so bad I couldn't get any air and saw stars. That wasn't safe for the children and safety for the children is #1 for me.

For the children it's in my contract, 101 F fever or vomiting or other contagious diseases mean that the children are not allowed at daycare until 24 hours after the symptoms have passed.

mom-in-alberta
02-05-2012, 04:13 AM
If I don't feel like I can take care of the children safely and effectively, then I will close. It takes a lot for me to get there, but if I literally can't get off the couch, or am running to the bathroom every 5 min I don't think it's good for me to be watching kids. It's one thing to have your own around you, but to have 3-6 toddlers running around, it gets a million times harder.
So, as playfelt said, for me it comes down to coping ability.

jec
02-05-2012, 07:17 AM
I will take a day off if I'm going to infect the kids in my care as well.
I'm with playfelt too ~ it comes down to how I can cope. Most times I suck it up with some Advil and will let the parents know that it will be a low key day