PDA

View Full Version : Toy rotation

Dreamalittledream
02-04-2012, 09:01 PM
So, the big lesson I have learned in the last 6 months of running my home daycare is to really downsize on the toy selection I had out. It was a 'lil crazy for awhile at tidy up time, not to mention the hit on my own cleaning/sterilizing schedule. Wondering what works for everyone in terms of how frequently you rotate toys and how often you clean/sterilize the big toys & mainstays that remain out all the time? Any handy tips (other than the Lysol wipes I do use and know I probably shouldn't with the high chemical factor).

dodge__driver11
02-04-2012, 09:48 PM
I have rubermaides that I rotate every 8 weeks, I also move the current stuff around. Ie I move the toys that are out to a different shelf. or move books that are at the back to the front etc.

mom-in-alberta
02-05-2012, 03:54 AM
I am sheepish, because even though I have been talking about it for ages; I still have not organized a toy rotation. But I think depending on how much you have out, around 4-8 weeks is good. If you are only trading out one or two things at a time, maybe you can do that every 2 weeks or so? That way it's not a whole huge changeover, but one or two items, swap out the stuff that's been out the longest, etc.

jec
02-05-2012, 07:21 AM
I rotate the toys as well for both learning minds and ensuring they are age appropriate and that the kids don't get bored with the toys. Shaking things up every so often the kids arrive all excited for free time as it seems all new to them!
I like your idea gingerbread11 to move them around on different shelves ~ great idea!!