PDA

View Full Version : Serving the same old things

mlc1982
02-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Do you ever feel like you are always serving the same things to the kids? I do, and I dont plan it that way.
Do you tend to serve most of the same things or do you change it up frequently? Do you have a set meal plan?

Play and Learn
02-24-2011, 09:14 PM
I do not have a set meal plan. Hubby makes enough food for dinner so that I can just heat up the leftovers for the kids lunch the next day or two! Those end of the weeks days might be zoodles/KD/Chefboyardi lunches (and I let the parents know before the kids start that there might be a day like that once every two weeks - time for more groceries!).

playfelt
02-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Most of the time it is leftovers from the night before. I don't have a set menu as I try to go with the mood of the kids that day. Right now I could serve grilled cheese sandwiches every day and I would have the happiest set of kids.

Play and Learn
02-24-2011, 09:36 PM
playfelt - that's so true! If I made mashed hard-boiled eggs, and fried potatoes every day, my little one would be happy as can be!

fruitloop
02-25-2011, 02:34 PM
I have a 2 week menu rotation I use but it's not written in stone. I change some things out here and there for left over meals (like stews and chili, etc) but my dck are such wasters that I don't like wasting our stews, pot pies and chillies on them. I don't ever serve kd, Chef Boyardee, or any canned/boxed processed junky food to my dck. I rarely feed them to my own kids so never have them in my cupboard. I can have a box of kd sit in my cupboard for weeks before it gets used.

4Sparkles
02-26-2011, 08:54 AM
I prepare and post a weekly menu . I serve vegetarian dishes, sandwiches, meats etc. They like to have their meals colourful lol A little red, orange here or there helps. Shred cheese instead of serving as cubes, cut 1/2 bananas lenghtwise instead of circles /half circles. I try to change things up because I do run out of ideas.

KariCares
02-26-2011, 04:22 PM
I have a set meal plan that I provide the parents once a month with. This allows me to plan the daily snacks and lunches well in advance. It also allows the parents a good idea on what they will plan ahead for their dinners as well as myself. For example if I am making Shepherds Pie for dinner on a Monday night I will make sure there are leftovers for Tuesday's lunch. I find I can really budget well for groceries doing this. I make lots of muffins and baked goods well in advance and can freeze them and just pull them out the day of, based on what the daily meal plan is.

FS2011
02-27-2011, 01:24 AM
Ever thought about having parents bring the childrens lunches? Wouldn't it just be easier on you as a provider? Thoughts on this?

Play and Learn
02-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Ever thought about having parents bring the childrens lunches? Wouldn't it just be easier on you as a provider? Thoughts on this?

The parents would then expect to pay less for daycare - can't afford to work then!

playfelt
02-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Problem with parents sending lunches is the kids are too young to understand that one kid get a granola bar for snack and another gets orange wedges and another gets pudding. They are also too young to unwrap, open containers etc so you still end up doing part of the prepping anyways. Also unless it is sandwiches every day the parents may be expecting you to warm the food so by the time you zap five lunches in the microwave it is easier to make a meal and serve it to everyone. And it means deductions from taxes. As someone said parents would expect to pay less so for all the hassles you are going through in helping out with the meal you are getting no money for it. Also since it isn't common for parents to have to send the meals you would likely lose out in getting kids as parents would consider it too much hassle to deal with everyday and go to someone that provides meals.

FS2011
02-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Problem with parents sending lunches is the kids are too young to understand that one kid get a granola bar for snack and another gets orange wedges and another gets pudding. They are also too young to unwrap, open containers etc so you still end up doing part of the prepping anyways. Also unless it is sandwiches every day the parents may be expecting you to warm the food so by the time you zap five lunches in the microwave it is easier to make a meal and serve
it to everyone. And it means deductions from taxes.
As someone said parents would expect to pay less so for all the hassles you are going through in helping out with the meal you are getting no money for it. Also since it isn't common for parents to have to send the meals you would likely lose out in getting kids as parents would consider it too much hassle to deal with everyday and go to someone that provides meals.

Where I am in BC most daycares don't provide meals and I actually have a firm nutrition policy which ensures parents prepare the meals before sending. I.e soup in a thermos, cut up oranges etc. Being licensed we have many guidelines we have to follow in preparing the food as well. So at this point it's easier to tell the parents they must follow the Canada food guide and bring lunches. It works great for me, I wouldn't do it any other way. Then again it's the norm out here and I have done this from the beginning.

mlc1982
02-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Thanks for some ideas. Would anybody who has a meal plan in place be willing to post it, or send me an email of it???

I am with other people as far as having parents providing lunches go. I have to make lunch for my own DD anyways so I might as well make enough for everybody. I even offer breakfast at my dayhome since I have to make breakfast for DD when kids are here anyways. Might as well and then I get the write offs.

fruitloop
02-28-2011, 07:42 AM
This is what my meal plan looks like...

GrinsNGiggles
03-05-2011, 02:26 AM
I have 5 kids in my daycare including my son. All the children except my son are picky eatters. I can make everyone happy at snack time but its lunch that I struggle with. The children mostly want processed food for lunch (frozen pizzas,KD or fries and nuggets). The parents are fine with them eatting this because its the same way in there homes, I`m the one with the problem serving it. I have tried making homemade healthy versions of it but the kids know its healthy and will barely eat it. Any ideas????? I always serve fruit and veggies they will eat with lunch. Should I just be happy they will eat some healthy things?

playfelt
03-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Sometimes it does come down to the some food - any food is better than the child eating no food. This is where trying to sneak some extra nutritious foods into the meals helps but just as kids stopped eating all the good foods they did as babies most go back to being better eaters in their own time. It is frustrating to cook and waste the food and then have to deal with grumpy kids who don't want to nap because they are hungry. Why do we do that to ourselves like that is beyond me. If the parents started letting the kids eat these foods at home and basically taught them to prefer them then they really can't hold it against the caregiver for resorting to whatever the kids will eat some days.

bluesgirl17
03-05-2011, 09:14 PM
4 of the children i have are used to eating real food with me including veggies and fruit . Well I just started one who is 5 who doesnt eat any veggies at all doesnt eat eggs, potatoes, or rice. Pasta only with parmesan cheese, wouldnt eat crusts on her bread (Ive been slowly changing that) no fruit yogurt, it is driving me crazy lol

mamaof4
03-06-2011, 08:32 AM
For the picky kids look at Deceptively Delicious- cool ways to sneak in healthy foods

hayland
03-09-2011, 11:23 AM
I have picky eaters ask well. The older boy more then the younger girl but shes learning from big brother a bit. He wont eat fruit other then bananas sometimes or veggies other then cooked carrots. She will eat almost anything but ends up whining for what he has since I usually serve her differetn then him. For lunch they like kd, zoodles, mr noodles and stuff but they will also eat grilled cheese, pb and j and eggs so i try to make those more often. Its how they eat at home though and theres no changing the older one, he'd rather go hungry.
the parents also send junk with them for treats (not sure if its because he complains about not getting any here) which drives me crazy and it just stays in the diaper bag until he asks and has finished the meals i serve.

Sarah A
11-03-2011, 12:31 PM
I have 5 kids in my daycare including my son. All the children except my son are picky eatters. I can make everyone happy at snack time but its lunch that I struggle with. The children mostly want processed food for lunch (frozen pizzas,KD or fries and nuggets). The parents are fine with them eatting this because its the same way in there homes, I`m the one with the problem serving it. I have tried making homemade healthy versions of it but the kids know its healthy and will barely eat it. Any ideas????? I always serve fruit and veggies they will eat with lunch. Should I just be happy they will eat some healthy things?

I feel the same way. Should we keeo trying the healthier versions of these foods and not have them eat it or just give them these foods because that's what they're used to at home and will eat it?

playfelt
11-03-2011, 01:35 PM
I say do what makes your day go the smoothest. It isn't like we are being paid hazard pay or anything. No sense inciting a riot in daycare.

Nancy
11-07-2011, 08:06 AM
I would keep offering healthy things. It can take 5-7 times of offering it before a child decides they like it and its so much better for them down the line. I'd also maybe talk to the parents and have them get onboard with this plan. Who *doesn't* want their child to eat healthier? :D

wolfpup
12-29-2011, 02:09 PM

I agree with Play and Learn... I tried that and they wanted to lower the price. I had some picky eaters and was fed up with throwing away perfectly good food. I ended up just taking a vote at lunch... 2 items, they vote, winning votes win and we have the other the following day. If we have leftovers though then that is what I serve regardless. If they dont like it then they usually get a pb and j or something quick like that with parents prior consent. I find out what their ultimate fav is and if they wont eat anything then they get whatever that is. For one kid that is a pb and honey sandwich and for the other... a simple grilled cheese sandwich. Everyone is happy!