PDA

View Full Version : What have you learned?

mom-in-alberta
02-05-2012, 04:36 AM
I know we all get better every day at this career, but it seems to me that most of us go through the biggest part of our learning curve in the first 12-18 months of operation.
So I am curious... what do you feel you learned during this time of "trial by fire"? About running the daycare, about yourself and your strengths/weaknesses, about your own family?

jec
02-05-2012, 07:01 AM
I've learned to trust my instincts. I've made a lot of mistakes but learned from them all. I won't take family,friends or neighbors as clients as they will take advantage. Most cases it isn't to be difficult but friendship and business line gets blurry. I've recently had my first negative experience with clients and learned that you can't make everyone happy- no matter how hard you try. I know that I've done my best and learning to let things go.
Runny my daycare is busy busy but very rewarding. I run my daycare as a place I would want my own kids to be at if I worked outside our home, which is a line in my web site! I treat the kids as I would want my kids to be treated. I've learned that I can take things too personally ~ for example this last family that left me however ~ if I trusted my instincts durnig the interview then I would not have had them start;) I am a lot stronger than I thought and I am an organized spaz!
I am a Mom of 2 monkeys and they love the daycare kids. It has helped my girls and I get closer as I've made special time for each of my girls for us to do things together - one on one after work. It did take some time for them to learn that Mom is working and they have to share me which didn't go so well at first. My mornings are not so hectic as when I worked outside our home. I'm not as stressed having to meet sales targets. Having a job I love makes a big difference in my family and how I interact with them. Don't get me wrong..I'm like everyone else out there and have my days and say to myself 'really'! :laugh:
This job is rewarding and I know I'm making a difference~ even if these little people in my daycare may not remember me later in life ....the positive experience they have with me helps to pave the road for them..
The only thing that does drive me around the bend is when someone asks if I baby sit. I always answer that I don't sit on the babies :laugh: Most don't mean anything by it but I find I am constantly giving people the definition of a daycare provider and a baby sitter

How about you mom-in-alberta?

Momof4
02-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Oh yes, are you right about learning so much in the first year! Thankfully I met a wonderful group of established caregivers who helped me or I don't think I would still be here. That's why I'm very happy to give any advice I possibly can now to help others who are learning and struggling to get established. Of course I still learn something new every day in the business and am always eager for good advice and ideas to improve my daycare experience constantly.

What I've learned: I took on clients in my first year that I had to terminate, but that hasn't happened in 3 years so I learned to interview properly and to make sure I don't take on any clients who will cause me grief. I learned that a fantastic contract is really important. I learned that it is important to take vacations and budget for those weeks without any pay because it is important to take care of myself so I don't burn out. I learned how to organize my daycare days into field trip days, crafting days and mostly freeplay days so there is a great variety for the children and also a variety for me. I learned to organize the food I'm going to serve and how to get the children to help me clean up all the toys before they go home so at least that is done at the end of business hours.

I could go on and on, but most of all, I learned to be confident in my ability to do be the best caregiver possible for the families that are a good match with my philosophies on childrearing. I know I run a great business and I now have a long waiting list to prove it. My clients have recommended me to lots of people, but since I have the children here from 10 months to JK there is a long wait until a space opens (thank goodness)!

sunnydays
02-05-2012, 04:35 PM
I've learned more than I can list here (I'm now 11 months in)! I've learned to not let crying stress me out, to stand up for myself and terminate when needed, to take organization to a new level, and my confidence has grown in leaps and bounds! In the beginning, I thought I would take 2-3 kids max plus my own and now I am confidently managing 4 plus my own :) I've also learned that having the right equipment and set-up can make life soooo much easier and more enjoyable,

mom-in-alberta
02-06-2012, 01:48 AM
Suppose I should answer my own question, huh? :p
I have learned:
That MOST families I deal with are going to be great. They will treat me with respect and dignity, because I am a large part of their child's life and everyday development. There will be, however, families that are not like this. And I must hold my ground, and stick up for myself in these situations. I learned what my policies, guidelines, etc need to be; and because I know for fact that they are reasonable, I must enforce them.
My time is valuable. Even if I do like you, I cannot care for your child for free. Again, I know that my fees are reasonable, and because we agreed on them, I expect them to be paid.
I prefer to work with kids between 10 months and 3 years. I have the most patience with these kids, compared to school aged kids (shudder).
I feel that I am a better parent to my own kids in many ways. I have had the opportunity to learn some more coping strategies, simply by working with different children. I have seen a whole new side of my husband, as he has been a huge support from the very beginning. I am on a little daycare hiatus right now, and when we discussed this, he told me to do what I needed to do for myself. I think he knows that if momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy, LoL.
And lastly; my best day working a "job" doesn't compare to eating messy, drippy popsicles in the summer sunshine while surrounded by happy little children. Awesome.

Skysue
02-06-2012, 06:26 AM
Great post!I have been doing this for 1-½ years come March and what I have learned is that I can manage 5 children extremely well plus my daughter. Having the right balance of kids is paramount. I have learned how to relax a lot more in regards to things being perfectly placed around the house. I still haven’t gotten to the point of letting the kids finger paint in the house but I’m slowly getting there. J

I have learned that the families I have chosen all mirror my values and style of parenting thus this gives me the mutual respect and direct line of communication that I need to stay a positive force in there child lives. When I started out I had a few extremely challenging kids and I now know what I can handle.

I’ve learned a few tricks along the way on how to manage time and I find myself amazed when a Mother of 2 says they need a break, as they can’t get anything done! LOL This makes me extremely happy of how balanced I have become. I’m not saying that everything is perfect as my bedroom could use a major overall but it seems that it is the only space I get me time for so I let things be I so I can focus on reading, getting caught up on e-mails etc.

I have my days where I crave adult conversation but looking back to my old busy work life with no me insight. I think I have finally come to love working for myself.

I know I’m doing great things for the kids in my care. I treat them with love and respect, give them the extra attention and hugs they may need. Like other posters said they might not remember me but I know I have helped give them an amazing start to building good core values.

I also used to be in my parents shoes, as I know how it is to have a child in daycare so I feel this only can be a huge asset in how I approach certain topics etc.

I do miss going to lunch with my friends or grabbing the keys in the middle of the afternoon and go to the mall but now I have weekends off something I never had before.

The short winter days can be a bit of a downer but come summer it will be amazingly fun all over again and I can’t wait! I’m already planning my trips to the beach!

Going to drink coffee now in my P.J's, so greatful.

Judy Trickett
02-06-2012, 06:53 AM
I have learned that regardless of how great a person(s) daycare parents are they will always, always put themselves first. I don't blame them but knowing that makes me a better business woman because then I always put MYSELF first.

I have learned that if a child is not working out or frustrating or just a constant stressor to me then it is much easier to just terminate them, put up with angry parents for a day or two and move on. No child or dcfamily is more worthy than my sanity and day to day happiness.

MY family and MY Kids ALWAYS come first. ALWAYS.

Dreamalittledream
02-06-2012, 11:41 AM
What a wonderful question! I'm a newbie, so I'm still learning every day...whether my 'teacher' be you wonderful folks on here, the parents, or most commonly, the little ones themselves. I've learned: No matter how well planned I think my day is, at some (several) points I'm just rolling with it, to sometimes just sit back and watch and listen (not to always have to be the problem solver), to keep ALL of my receipts, to build a network (for support and to recommend others to), that if you're fair, firm and consistent those corrections actually become less and less, to have them all go pee before I get all 6 in snowsuits, to not stress over eating patterns, to get as much done as i can during operating hours so that when the kids (other than my own) are gone, the playroom is off limits to everyone for the day and to bring a big thermos of coffee down to the playroom each morning;)