PDA

View Full Version : Injuries/accidents

Spixie33
02-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Hi everyone...
Just wondering what other people do with their daycare when a Daycare child is hurt. i.e what do you do if a child bumps their head and you see it form a bump and bruise?

On one hand I think it is nice to forewarn the parents that they will see their child in less-than-perfect condition at pickup time but on the other hand calling them in advance could get them worried or make them feel guilty for the rest of the day over a bruise.

Do you call/email the parents and let them know that there was an accident or do you wait until pick up and explain what happened and give them an accident report or ????

Daycare123
02-06-2012, 11:43 AM
I wait until pick up and get them to sign the accident report

Bookworm
02-06-2012, 12:06 PM
I too wait until pick up. I don't want the parents worrying over nothing.

Momof4
02-06-2012, 05:07 PM
I don't have any accident reports because everything that has happened has been normal bumps and bruises that parents should expect to happen when 5 busy, bouncy children are playing together. I just tell the parents about the incident at pickup time and usually they just wave it off as a regular thing, especially for the boys.

If I had a parent who made a big thing about little accidents I would ask them if they trust me or not to keep their child safe. Thankfully, my dcparents all have complete confidence in my abilities.

Daycare123
02-06-2012, 07:06 PM
I do an accident report when a child has had a tumble that leaves a mark or scrape etc. I always let parents know that I allow kids be kids and they will have their tumbles-especially toddlers! But I still believe it is good practice to have an accident report when bumps and bruises happen-just how I have always done it in my own daycare and in the centers I have worked in.

Beanie
03-13-2015, 03:08 PM
I know this post is very old but would any of you have a copy of an accident report form i could see? I have 5 boys and every week we get some sort of big goose egg, bump on the head ect. all my parents have always been ok with it and expect it to happen with 5 boys but i don't have anything in place in case something happens after he leaves/sign off of information ect....

Suzie_Homemaker
03-13-2015, 04:50 PM
Hi everyone...
Just wondering what other people do with their daycare when a Daycare child is hurt. i.e what do you do if a child bumps their head and you see it form a bump and bruise?

On one hand I think it is nice to forewarn the parents that they will see their child in less-than-perfect condition at pickup time but on the other hand calling them in advance could get them worried or make them feel guilty for the rest of the day over a bruise.

Do you call/email the parents and let them know that there was an accident or do you wait until pick up and explain what happened and give them an accident report or ????

I always photograph the injury and then e-mail or FB message parent with the image and explain what happen. Did it just today as one little guy slip on ice and cheek was grazed by snow bank. I reassure parent in first sentence that child is fine and then explain what happen, and any treatment given. This give parent firm timeframe and good information whilst clear in case it get worse over time and they need hospital visit. Never know.

I don't phone them. Many parent keep phone on in meeting for emergency and so calling for non-emergency scare with and not need to.

kindertime
03-13-2015, 04:53 PM
I know this post is very old but would any of you have a copy of an accident report form i could see? I have 5 boys and every week we get some sort of big goose egg, bump on the head ect. all my parents have always been ok with it and expect it to happen with 5 boys but i don't have anything in place in case something happens after he leaves/sign off of information ect....

Try this. I can't upload an image of mine but it has a diagram of the front, back and head of a child so you can indicate the location of the injury.

http://www.childcarelounge. com/printform/ACCIDENT%20REPORT.pd f

Busy ECE mommy
03-14-2015, 06:03 AM
I write an accident report if it leaves a mark, or if it involves the head or face. I don't do one for normal scrapes on the knee/elbows that happen in the backyard. If I am writing a report, then I email the parent during the day so I don't get that "deer in the headlights" look at pickup.

BlueRose
03-14-2015, 08:32 AM
You can find a accident report on homedaycarebusiness. weebly.com
Its under forms. http://www.homedaycarebusin ess.weebly.com

mickyc
03-16-2015, 08:58 AM
I usually take a pic if it needs attention and text photo to parent. Last week I had a girl fall into the wall and split open the skin by her eye. I sent photo and left it up to parents to decide if they wanted to pick up. They didn't. If it was my own child we wouldn't have gone to the doc over it either. They had an appt for her that night anyways. She ended up with a butterfly stitch on it.

If it's just a bump or scrape I usually just send a text and let mom know what happened.

5 Little Monkeys
03-16-2015, 01:24 PM
I do the same as Mickyc. I take a picture and send it to the parent. If I don't require immediate pick up, I leave the decision to them and they can decide if they want to pick up or not. If it's just a minor bump/bruise than no I don't but for accidents that cause broken skin, bleeding etc than I send a pic.

I have an incident report for any accident that results in a bruise/mark/bump/blood/bandaid. This is just to cover my own butt really. It includes the date and time of accident, child's name, where it happened (playroom, kitchen, outside etc), what happened, what I did for medical attention (sometimes it's just a little TLC), and I get the parent to sign it after reading (usually at end of day pick up as I have only had one incident that the parent came immediately).

When I worked in centres they had us also pinpoint on a diagram of the body where the markings were. I haven't included this in mine yet but do write "mark about an inch long on left side of forehead" or wherever it is.