PDA

View Full Version : Kids show characters

mamaof4
02-07-2012, 10:09 AM
There are some that drive me up the darn wall- those are of course the characters that my kids seem to adore! Which kids shows make you want to scream?

michellesmunchkins
02-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Caillou and In the Night Garden...oh and those men in spandex (4 square I think it is). I don't really allow TV time at my daycare, but the odd nasty day out I will put on treehouse, unless those shows are on. I find Caillou is whiny and teaches bad behaviours...In the night garden makes no sense to me whatsoever...just a bunch of grunting noises, again doesn't teach anything of value to the children.

zen39
02-07-2012, 11:38 AM
I agree Caillou is horrible!

Spixie33
02-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Awwwww....caillou is kinda sweet

I agree aboit 4 square. Seriously - I can't believe those people and how they can keep a straight face. It makes me want to cover my eyes and plug my ears.:ohmy::laugh:

I agree about the Night Garden too

Rolie Polie is annoying

I always thought Franklin was kind of a bratty/whiney kid

michellesmunchkins
02-07-2012, 11:52 AM
As I was thinking more about this post, there are more shows that I don't like my children or the daycare children to watch than there are 'good/appropriate' shows lol

sunnydays
02-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Barnie!!!! I detest Barnie and NEVER put it on for my kids or the dck's. We don't watch TV much...maybe a half hour every couple of days, but I always put on TVO kids...none of the shows annoy me, they are all somewhat educational and they are aimed at preschoolers/toddlers. My kids' favourite is Monkey See Monkey Do :)

KingstonMom
02-07-2012, 01:14 PM
My son is in LOVE with Night Garden. But hes 21 months old, so its right up his alley with weirdness. I dont mind it. Upsey Daisy's song is cute...Aka Packa is cute too...Oh god, now I have the songs in my head!!

The Cat in the Hat strikes me as a tad perverted. Dont ask, I just think its odd these two kids follow around a grown cat (man) and play with the buttons in his thingamabobber. "Your mother will not mind at all if you do!!"...creepy.

Dora. Hate it. mostly only because of Map's EXTREMELY whiney voice. Gotta turn that one off too!

Finally..
I love SuperWhy!! on PBS Kids. Its the only show everyone enjoys and dances to the songs. My son is learning his letters right now and loves pointing to them on the tv screen. Its very educational and cute.
And nobody can dis Sesame Street. Huge Elmo fan here!

playfelt
02-07-2012, 01:23 PM
We do the treehouse tv thing from 6:30 every morning till more kids get here and yes we start with cat in the hat at 6:30 - needless to say I bury myself in my computer. Agree that 4 square is awful. My gang was actually huge Barney fans and I mean huge. Only on now if you go to rogers on demand which is ok since I can pick the time I need it to be such as while I am in the kitchen making lunch and don't have to watch but know they are all glued to the set. The problem with my gang and tv is each one has things they like and don't like. Other than a couple that watch infomercials if that is what is on most would come and go and watch only their favourite shows but it would then have to be on all day to accommodate. My daughter listens to treehouse music when we are busy in the playroom - she is 19 and special needs so doesn't really play with us all that much but I have one that if it gets too busy in the playroom will retreat in to listen with her - and will sit and stare at the screen even though it goes black and just sound comes out like it's a radio.

gcj
02-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Caillou has been banned here since the kids started whining like him....
Nothing beat good old Sesame Street, but my kids aren't that into it?!?!?

mom-in-alberta
02-08-2012, 12:24 AM
Caillou needs a serious time out... that kid makes me crazy. Franklin needs some help making better choices, as he seems to consistently screw up the same things. In The Night Garden/ Teletubbies/ Boobas, etc make me wonder if someone "slipped something" into my morning coffee. (But the kids LOVE them!!)
I sort of like 4Square, lol. Admittedly a poor choice in costumes, though! Avert your eyes. :p
I LOVE the Backyardigans for some reason. I have caught myself watching it without any children around! I don't mind Cat In The Hat... at least, I didn't! But now I am more than a little creeped out.

playfelt
02-08-2012, 07:37 AM
I used to like Are we there yet? but it doesn't come on much anymore. I thought it was interesting to see different places around the world but simplified for kids.

Harry and his bucket full of dinosaurs is popular. On PBS is a show called Dino train and I know a couple of my kids watch that before coming in the morning.

Daycare123
02-08-2012, 11:51 AM
I find so many shows irritating as many of you have stated hahah! I only allow good ol' Sesame Street in my daycare in the morning, I feel it allows me to use it as a learning tool because there is so much applicable going on like counting and colors :)

Bookworm
02-08-2012, 12:39 PM
I find Caillou and Dora annoying too. However, my daughter loves them. I don't mind Go Diego Go though, atleast that is some what educational as she learns about animals.
My daughter loves Sesame Street and Dino Train too, but her absolute favourite is Toopy and Binoo.
My son is too young to really care what is on, as are my dck's so she just watches tv when she gets annoyed with the little ones.

Cadillac
02-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Caillou is a whiny little brat. Why the hell is he bald?
Four square makes me want to slit my own throat
The cat in the hat . . . . . I think it much be that GO GO GO song they MUST sing in FULL every god damn show
Barney - I was hoping that dino would die when I was six . . . . I still feel the same way
The new 3D franklin is super creepy . . .
The new 3D Babar . . .

I really only like one or two tree house shows. Rather put on a baby Einstein since most of my kids are small.

TV is so rare during daycare but I use it for my own little one to get a break and have the ability to prepare dinner. I now turn the volume down so I can't hear any of the above mentioned.

Momof4
02-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Oh, I hate Caillou because he teaches children how to whine and his parents never correct him. What message does that send to kids?

Also I hate Max & Ruby because I have a 3 year old who watches it at home and the next morning he's only using one word sentences until I tell him I will not talk to him until he talks to me with all his words.

mom-in-alberta
02-09-2012, 01:48 AM
Hahaha... Caillou is bald, and yet his 2 year old sister has a full head of hair?? Odd.
And where are Max and Ruby's parents? That's what I want to know. If I was Grandma, I would call social services.
What is it about Toopy and Binoo that the children love so? Funny that it doesn't seem to "teach" anything, and is still such a favorite. It's like the cartoons when we grew up... no purpose but entertainment.
Hee hee, good thread... :)

Cadillac
02-09-2012, 07:53 AM
And where are Max and Ruby's parents? That's what I want to know. If I was Grandma, I would call social services.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I`ve been giggling over this thread for two days now

playfelt
02-09-2012, 10:55 AM
And this is all why tv time is first thing in the morning while other kids are coming and while I am making lunch - so the kids are contained while unsupervised so to speak and I don't have to watch. Kids are happy, I am happy, makes for a good day.

Spixie33
03-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Oh my. Just got reminded of an awful one as I was cleaning today......Bob the builder drives me crazy !!!

all the machines are disobedient and annoying, whiney things. If I was Bob then I would have taken them all to the scrap yard long ago. Not to mention the scarecrow is annoying.

Okay..got that off my chest :laugh:

Lou
03-08-2012, 12:24 PM
LOL, I like Barney! My kids love him too.

Sandbox Sally
03-08-2012, 12:27 PM
I don't watch tv with the daycare kids, and my own kids are more into iCarly and Good Luck Charlie nowadays, but one I really truly used to hate was Thomas the Tank Engine. I hate everything about it - the theme song, their voices, the eyes on the trains, their stupid names.

I also love 4Square, but then again, I love Teletubbies, Booba and Yo Gabba Gabba is my all time fave! So I think I like "weird". Hehe!

Sarah A
03-08-2012, 12:36 PM
I just love the new Bubble Guppies show they play on TreeHouse!!! It's so cute and very educational with lots of singing. So cute and all the kids love watching it, which gives me some wind down time before they all go home.

Spixie33
03-08-2012, 12:39 PM
I just love the new Bubble Guppies show they play on TreeHouse!!! It's so cute and very educational with lots of singing. So cute and all the kids love watching it, which gives me some wind down time before they all go home.

It really does seem to be the new hot show. My daycare kids kept talking about it to me. I don't usually turn on the TV here but I recorded a couple of episodes to see what it is all about and my 5 &7 year old now like it. lol

playfelt
03-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Bubble Guppies is something I have never seen and if our tv is on it is on treehouse but I guess it is on first thing in the morning not end of the day as much. Anything with music is something they love. I use the rogers on demand to find the shows I want when I want them to be on which helps a lot and I know that an episode of Barney will settle them all immediately - they love that show. I'm making lunch during it so I don't have to listen.

Mamma_Mia
03-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Bubble guppies is big here...it's on treehouse and on demand too! I love the "line'up" song....I sing it! haha Other show that are hits are: Barney, Dora, Yo gabba gabba, The Fresh Beat Band and on Friday's we do "Movie Days since it's only my daughter and one other kid and the biggest request is Beauty & the Beast and Cinderella......I can't get them to like Sleeping Beauty (my fav) :laugh:

I hate (the kid(s) do like them but I change the channel) like everyone else mentioned Mr.Whiny, 4 squares, franklin, babar is sooo boring, angelina balerina, olivia, toopy & bino....are they boys? girls?, max & ruby...bossy sister, waybaloo....why don't they have noses??, what-what's...seriously?! :laugh: :laugh:

My daughter had a tv in her playroom in our old house nd it played treehouse all day weather she was watching it or not so sadly I got to know a lot of what gives.