PDA

View Full Version : How to tell the parents???

MunchkinMinder
02-07-2012, 11:07 AM
So I'm a little stuck and scarred on how to talk to my families about this...:unsure:

My husband and I just found out that we are expecting baby number 3 this October...yes I said October, we're 5 weeks along.

My question is...is it wrong to wait until after 12 weeks to tell my day home families our happy news? And how would you approach the subject with them?

All your help would be wonderful, thank you!

Emily3
02-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Hi!! First, congratulations!!!!! I am 25 weeks along with number 2 so have had to deal with this recently too! It is fine to wait until 12 weeks.....that is the 'normal' time for people to tell others they are expecting. Before you tell them you need to work out a very solid plan. If you plan to totally close then no real plan needed of course. If you are just planning to have a mat leave then you need to clearly outline for parents what you are planning, including plans for unexpected events! Don't forget to include the time off you will need for appointments. My mom is able to cover me on those days so that has worked out great for my families. I emailed parents on the Friday of week 13. I said I emailed instead of telling them in person to give them a chance to consider the news privately before we met to answer questions. I went in with the expectation of losing everybody so was totally surprised that everyone is staying to the bitter end, ha ha! Either way, you have plenty of time to prepare both yourself and your daycare families and work out what will be best!

zen39
02-07-2012, 11:37 AM
It is completely fine to wait the 12 weeks to tell parents. I never told my own friends till after 12 weeks with my kids let alone daycare parents. You are giving them plenty of notice, so don't worry about it. Congrats!

Spixie33
02-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Congratulations
I think you should definitely wait to tell them. There is no rush.:)
No matter what you decide about whether to stay open or close for a few months --if you tell them at 12 weeks they will still have many MONTHS to plan and find alternate care if they need to. You are leaving them with plenty of notice even if you wait.
In the meantime you can enjoy the news privately and decide what you want to do about the daycare, etc

MunchkinMinder
02-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks ladies...I really wanted to keep this with-in my immediate family until then and wasn't sure when others told their day home families or how...I really like the e-mail suggestion, I'll have to keep that one in mind for when we tell my clients :thumbsup:

Mamma_Mia
02-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Congratulations!!! Happy & Healthy 9mos!

I would wait until 12wks if that makes you more comfortable. (I'm one of those that peed on the stick and told everyone! haha) anyways I think it's the norm to wait....

My husband and I were planning on starting for #2 at the end of this year and I didn't know how to go about it in regards to DC.....so I might be following you to see what you do! haha

Naftafia
02-15-2012, 06:25 PM
I went through this last year as well. Got pregnant in September, only 13 months after opening the daycare. I waited 12 weeks to tell my parents, which I believe is ok to do. I met with all parents individually using the pretext of wanting to discuss care, progress, routine and generally discuss anything they wish (it was a great meeting with everyone)
As discussed above make sure to have a very concrete plan to present as they will be concerned, altough very happy for you.
My plan was that my spouse take 9 months parental leave, and I took two weeks summer vacation after birth. My spouse is returning to work next week... YIKES! Everything worked out very well.
Make sure to consider (as someone above suggested) appointments through pregnancy, if you plan on stopping when giving birth, on due date or before (all my parents were eagerly waiting as they were notified my two weeks vacation started at birth.... thank god for that as she was 7 days late). If you chose to continue providing care afterwards you may want to revise your schedule and have an honest and open discussion with the parents about the changes to come (even at the last parts of the pregnancy).
The last month of daycare was very difficult as my hips hurt so much, lifting kids for changing, toileting and putting them in their playpens was so difficult. I had to really on spouse and family for help on all other things as I was completely wiped after the day.
Good luck and congrats.

Cadillac
02-15-2012, 08:48 PM
Yaaaaaaay congats!!!!!!