PDA

View Full Version : Advice to get a 1 year old to stay asleep

Bookworm
02-08-2012, 12:13 PM
I am currently looking after 1 year old boy twins W-T-F every week. They have had no transition issues, but recently one of the twins will not stay a sleep longer than 30 mins. He then starts crying in his sleep and is sooo loud, he wakes the other kids if I don't get to him within a few minutes. I would love to just leave him so that he can put himself back to sleep, however, the way I have it arranged now, that is not possible. I may try a new sleeping arrangement (he is currently sleeping in my daughter's room with his brother in seperate playpens as his mother says they had to start doing this or the boys wouldn't stay asleep). His brother has no issues going to sleep and staying asleep, and is the only one not bothered by his crying.
I know he is tired, but he just will not stay asleep. I have put them on one nap because I found he wasn't wanting to go down for his afternoon nap even though I would only let them sleep for an hour in the morning.
Anyone been through this before and have any tips on how to get him to stay asleep longer than 30 mins? It is cutting in on my clean up time at lunch as well as the time I spend with my 2 1/2 year old daughter doing crafts and teaching her things the others are too little to learn. I don't want him to get used to being up playing while he should be sleeping!
Thanks in advance.

Skysue
02-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Is her teething? Sounds like he might be. Have the parents sent anything, ask for them to send camillia all natural stuff may work.

http://www.nationalnutritio n.ca/detail.aspx?ID=1419

Bookworm
02-08-2012, 12:43 PM
I don't think so, since during his first two weeks here (this is now his 4th week) he was full time and was teething (got 2 teeth in) and he definitely is not acting like he was then. I do have stuff to give him, but I don't want to unless he really needs it. Plus, once I get him his crying stops immediately. I think this is just a case of not wanting to sleep...

Judy Trickett
02-08-2012, 01:09 PM
CIO. Let him wake the other kids. It will get better when he realizes that no amount of crying is gonna get him up and he will stop. Sometimes you have to allow it to get worse before it gets better.

Errbear
02-08-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm with Judy on this. There is a distinction between a learned behaviour and an instinctual one. Not wanting to sleep is a learned one.

playfelt
02-08-2012, 01:21 PM
When the parents said they put them back together in the same room did they mean in separate cribs or back into the same crib. It is common for twins to often sleep in the same crib - one at each end or at least starting out that way because they are so used to being together. Can you make sure he is snuggled a bit more as in a blanket swaddled around the middle of him so it feels like something(one) is near him.

If it is just the two of them in the room and the brother is fine with the tears then I would just leave him.

Bookworm
02-08-2012, 01:38 PM
You are right, Judy and Errbear. I know I have to let him CIO, I just hate that he disturbs the other kids who are great sleepers because he is soo loud.
Playfelt- they have them in seperate cribs, I asked the mother what their sleeping arrangements were in the interview, just in case they did sleep in the same crib. I currently have their playpens directly next to each other, so I don't think that is the case.
I may try the blanket, but the boys do not use anything to soothe themselves (soothers or blankets, etc.), so we will see if that works.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Cocoon
02-08-2012, 02:29 PM
I feel for you. As I have one who only sleeps 30mins. maximum 40. But things are getting better.

I do not take him even if he cries. He has to stay in his playpen until the other kids are up. I would let him stay in his playpen and would not pick him up. This way he learned how to put himself back to sleep or may be bordem made him sleep. :) He cried of course but I know he is safe, clean and fed so he has no reason to cry. As Judy said already "It will get better when he realizes that no amount of crying is gonna get him up and he will stop."

And also during the day, I sometimes put him on his playpen and put some toys with him so he will get used to his playpen.

Good luck just be persistant.
Cocoon

Momof4
02-08-2012, 04:03 PM
I agree with the CIO, but since the twins are part-timers you have to talk to the parents and make sure they are doing the same thing at home on the days they are not with you. If the Mom doesn't use the same CIO method it won't work. Make sure she's on board. It may take a few weeks but he'll learn. My daycare rules are quiet time/nap time are the same thing so no matter when the children fall asleep or wake up they have to stay quiet. I let them play with a toy or read a book but they have to stay quiet for their friends.

Bookworm
02-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Mom does let them CIO at home, so there are no issues there. They have had no issues transitioning at all really, just the one waking up crying after 30 mins. I sure hope he learns quickly as it really does disturb the other who are sleeping. :)

mom-in-alberta
02-09-2012, 01:44 AM
Can you move his playpen somewhere else while this phase passes?
You probably already thought of that.... LoL. But that's what I would do. Even if it means he sleeps in an odd spot for a little while (like a dark hallway or something).
Hope it gets better soon!!!!