PDA

View Full Version : Taxes & Day home meal expenses

mlc1982
02-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere already.
I'm curious to see what others do when it comes to claiming food on your taxes, for your day home.

I've heard of people doing groceries seperatly for the family and for the day home. I've also heard of people using a certain dollar figure for each meal and claiming that (ie. snacks, $2 per child, lunch $5 per kid - per day.)

How do you all do it?

Play and Learn
02-25-2011, 03:04 PM
There's another posting up - check it out.

fruitloop
02-25-2011, 03:11 PM
I charge $7/child per day.

playfelt
02-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Technically we are not allowed to simply pull a number out of the air so to speak to charge for meals. We have to be able to back it up with grocery receipts, a menu or whatever.

fruitloop
02-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Technically we are not allowed to simply pull a number out of the air so to speak to charge for meals. We have to be able to back it up with grocery receipts, a menu or whatever.

Right, you need proof of all your groceries in case you are audited. $7 is probably a little low for me, I spend A LOT on groceries for these kids. $7 is just an amount that averages out to what the amount would roughly be for me. i've never had a problem with that number.

waterloo day mom
06-20-2011, 07:56 AM
see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/p134/p134-10e.pdf

it tells you all about what you can claim and how much

Judy Trickett
06-21-2011, 06:18 AM
I charge $10 a day per child. And yes, I have receipts. It IS my "average" of how much I spend on them. Some days might be a little less but some days are definitely more.

In actuality I spend MORE than that per kid but $10 a day is a nice round number for me to work with.

momofthree
06-21-2011, 07:45 AM
I have all my receipts for daycare meals. But no menu plan. Do I need a menu plan to back up my receipts if I to get audit?

playfelt
06-21-2011, 07:51 AM
I have done meal expensives several ways over the years and it pretty much comes out the same. I have done a sample menu and costed it out based on my grocery receipts. I have also just added up everything we spent on groceries for the year and then you factor in how many are daycare meals and how many are family meals and get a percentage. A lot depends on the type of meals you serve too. If you are opening cans of stuff then it is easy to cost out. If lunch is last night's leftovers then you have to know how much it cost to make last night's supper and then to take a percentage of that. I just used excel to record the grocery slips and then added the column at the end.

Dean Davis
04-02-2017, 06:27 PM
What is the going rate to claim on your taxes for snacks and lunches?

bright sparks
04-03-2017, 08:02 AM
What is the going rate to claim on your taxes for snacks and lunches?

There is no going rate. It an expense so you claim what it actually costs.