PDA

View Full Version : Interview questions- for parents

mom-in-alberta
02-12-2012, 02:45 AM
So, we all agree that WE are interviewing parents, as much as they are interviewing us.
I always find that after an interview, I am smacking my forehead and saying "Crap, I forgot to ask them....".
What do you always make sure you ask of the parents when you are doing a meet and greet? I am thinking of putting together a quick list of questions for first contact, via phone or email, and a list of questions/topics to cover for the initial interview. I can't operate without lists, lol...

playfelt
02-12-2012, 07:07 AM
Obvious ones include their working hours, and I try to get out location although they are sometimes protective of that info but it tells me how far they are going and the liklihood of being late or the stability of their job. I usually start out my conversation rather than launching into my presentation I ask them what it is they are looking for in childcare - that's how I find out if I am the first or tenth interview, the process they are using as well as usually the first few things they mention are what is most important to them so if they say we want an educational program first instead we want our child to be in a loving home with friends to play with I know what they are expecting of me. It helps me to tailor my presentation to them.

I ask about the child's routine now - that's how I learn about his sleeping, eating, mom's attachment. I ask about the child's previous exposure to other children - playgroup, relatives, or none.

When showing the forms I do show them the info page and remind them to put down anything they think will make the first few days go more smoothly such as under sleep let me know tummy, back, side, etc.

Dreamalittledream
02-12-2012, 03:47 PM
...put down anything they think will make the first few days go more smoothly such as under sleep let me know tummy, back, side, etc.
Hope you don't mind if I borrow your wording for my info. sheets? I currently ask the question about nap time routine but in all cases they have just put times and no other details (I take some of that blame as I should take more time in thoughtful interview questions for them that would give me the needed insight). I think going forward I will time interviews/visits during closed hours. More time for me to sit down with them.

Dreamalittledream
02-12-2012, 03:53 PM
So, we all agree that WE are interviewing parents, as much as they are interviewing us...
Great point! I'm torn between interviewing during open times (they get to see day to day) & closed (where I get more time to sit down with them).

Crayola kiddies
02-12-2012, 06:20 PM
For security reasons I never conduct first interviews during daycare hours .....my current parents appreciate that I don't bring strangers into the house while their children are present, and the parents I'm interviewing also realize that I wouldn't bring strangers around their kids. It's important to establish a level of trust right off the bat.

Spixie33
02-12-2012, 08:21 PM
I stopped interviewing during business hours. They never went well. The dck get riled up about a new person and you have to keep a closer eye on what they are doing for attention all while trying to answer serious questions from the parent and also get important info about your daycare out to the parent.

Half the time I forget to tell parents stuff when I interview i.e about what kind of meals we do, or the communication sheets or our sleep set up and afterwards I am like "DOH!!"

Having to multi task and do my job while pitching for a new job is too much for me. It never goes well. Another thing is that the little ones will all decide to grab your paperwork or presentation materials and they will come out looking like they have been through the recycle bin 10 times after all the little ones tackle them:p

mom-in-alberta
02-13-2012, 12:39 AM
I ALWAYS do inteview times after I am closed. I understand that parents may want to see how things go during operational hours, but I am just not comfortable with that.
Murphy's Law says that if I did, THAT is when a dck would run into the corner of a wall and pop open their forehead or something!! LOL Can you imagine??
Not to mention, I know it would be hard to concentrate properly on the interview. And I don't know these people, or if they are actually going to go ahead with care with me, so I am not exposing the other dck's to strangers.

Bugaboo
02-13-2012, 08:57 AM
I don't ask questions per se. I spend a lot of time going over the key points of my contract and making sure the parents understand and are onboard with how I operate my day home.

playfelt
02-13-2012, 09:13 AM
I actually do the opposite in the sense that I don't really go over the contract - one since there is nothing in it that is unusual compared to caregivers around me that actually have contracts. I keep the conversation going and keep them talking. I am more likely to get info out of them doing that then asking direct questions - ie stuff just slips out. It also gives me an idea of what they are going to be like to work with in the sense of whether they do act "friendly" and chat or do they seem defensive and withdrawn. Throughout the conversation I do bring up key points of the contract and put in the info and get the info I want. I go through the handout in the sense of telling them what each section is about and which forms need to be returned and that gives me the opportunity to discuss their timeline and I can assess how serious I think they are. I then give them the contract to take home and read and tell them to contact me with any questions - which unless they are planning to challenge a rule there shouldn't be as it is written in plain language.

I guess when I first started out I did stick more to my contract outline for the purpose of how to conduct the interview. But now I build it more into the conversation. Sort of the same as I teach - at first I had lesson plans and now I wing it more but know what to build in if that makes sense.