PDA

View Full Version : Interview Red Flags

mamaof4
02-12-2012, 03:37 PM
When interviewing families- what do you see as some red flags that parents/kids say or do? Do you specifically ask questions to see if they come up?

Cocoon
02-12-2012, 03:52 PM
The way they talk. I like polite people. Parents who ask unnecessary questions. Questions which invades my privacy. And also no reason but I don't like them.

Dreamalittledream
02-12-2012, 04:01 PM
As far as kids, no red flags there...in every case so far (including my own son) the devil horns come out when parents are around and they are comparatively angels when it's just me. As for parents, I've found that the ones who have the fewest questions for you are the ones who will be late with payment, forget supplies etc. Does anyone ever ask to call previous caregivers (on the premise of gaining more info.?). I haven't, but it would sure give a lot of insight;)

mom-in-alberta
02-13-2012, 12:54 AM
I listen a lot to my "instinct". If I get the sense right away that we are not going to get along, chances are there is a reason for that!
Not that I wouldn't go ahead based on a gut reaction, but it makes me think, for sure.
I watch how parents interact with thier kids, and whether they set boundaries, etc while they are here. Do they let them run around like a psycho and trash the place? If so, hmmm...I watch how the kids talk to their parents (if old enough) and how they respond back. That speaks volumes to me, as it shows whether there is a respectful relationship between them or not.
Agreed that if they have NO questions for you, sometimes that can be concerning. The "easiest" interview I ever had (no questions or concerns, I could kind of tell that they had made up thier minds before even coming over, to start care) turned out to be my worst family to date. They just didn't give a S#@*.....
If someone asks me all types of worst-case-scenario type questions, I would also be concerned. Again, not a deal breaker, but I don't like working with someone who is always looking for the negative in things.
I have not checked out any caregiver references yet, as I have mostly had kids who haven't really been in daycare yet. Also, I can see the benefit to it, but I think I would rather make up my own mind about people. Everyone deserves another chance, and if things aren't going to work out, I will find out soon enough. (Maybe that is a naive and silly thought?)

Judy Trickett
02-13-2012, 07:20 AM
-Not taking their shoes off before coming in
-Asking for fee negotiation
-saying things like "well, it will be tight getting here by your closing but I will try really hard"
-asking what my late pick up policy is
-being rude
-snooping around in parts of my home I did not invite them into during the tour
-allowing their kids to be unruly or disrespectful while here
-questioning the terms of the contract
-saying their child does not nap
-asking for sibling discount

That's all I can think of right now but will come back and edit and add more if I think of them.

Spixie33
02-13-2012, 11:53 AM
I think Judy hit on my two biggest ones.

People who commute to Toronto and know my closing time (5:30) but then ask if it might be an issue if they sometimes are stuck in traffic or get behind and can't make it until 6. I then tell them that I am very reasonable if there is a blizzard because I don't want them getting in an accident so I will understand and they reply with something like "well...what if it is once a week or two?" :blink:

And I did have a dad come as part of the interview and peer into the bathrooms and around corners. Like ? WTH? :mad:

Also....parents who ask you the nap time and then say that their child needs a special time or longer time than what I just told them

playfelt
02-13-2012, 01:07 PM
A red flag for me is the mom who comes in clipboard in hand and proceeds to "think" she is going to interview me etc. It is important to establish the ground rules for the partnership right at that first interview or it won't work. I don't like being told what to do by anyone and I detest being told how to do it even more. How quickly I can get control of the conversation back is a key issue for me.

Parents that seem to have hangups about certain issues - often it is based on what is in the news or buzz words or fad concepts but it also tells me that maybe these parents can't think for themselves and will be unreasonable to deal with considering I would best describe my methods as "old fashion" but they are the ones that work. Fads come and go and we just plug along and haven't turned out an unsuccessful child yet once they got to school so the methods can't be that bad.

The child can also show me red flags based on their behaviour and how well they are controllable - willing to listen. If parents don't step in I will and tell the child how we do things here and that they need to not be doing what they were doing. If they obey that is good if they challenge it right there a black mark goes beside their name since I don't need kids that are brats before they even start or get older.