PDA

View Full Version : BIN or BN number?

jec
02-13-2012, 12:30 PM
I am in Ontario ~ which do I register for?! I'm just a little confused! :o

jec
02-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Never mind ~ I already had the BIN number and found out the difference between them both. Brunette moment!! Sad how many of these I have :laugh:

lunademiel
02-13-2012, 08:51 PM
I was actually curious about the differences with the BN and BIN number! I saw on a post recently about having a BIN to put on your receipts instead of your SIN to protect yourself. Now I found out that the BIN is only in Ontario. So is the BN the same for the rest of the country? I would prefer not to put my SIN on all my client receipts. If anyone has any advice I would be very grateful!

jec
02-21-2012, 08:48 AM
I am very uncomfortable giving out my SIN number to my daycare clients and have yet to be asked thankfully. That is my personal identity that I don't give out easy.
A BN is issued by the federal government and is used to track remittances for CPP, GST, etc.
A BIN is provincial and is a registration of your business and its name with the Provincial government. When you do this, you will get a Business Master Licence with your number on it and can use it for your income tax recites. It has an expiry date so keep an eye on that.
A fellow daycare provider used her sons to shovel snow etc so she employed them and needed a BN for federal remittances. The BN is the id for the CRA.
I guess it depends on your needs as to whether you need one or both.
It is very confusing!!!!

sophgag604
03-11-2012, 03:22 PM
I was wondering where do you gget information for the BIN number? I called revenue canada for BN and told me I dont need that They didn't want to listen to what I had to say then gave me a phone number and it was finance ministry but it's not the good one because I sent a message and reply to call another number

Inspired by Reggio
03-11-2012, 03:39 PM
I was wondering where do you gget information for the BIN number? I called revenue canada for BN and told me I dont need that They didn't want to listen to what I had to say then gave me a phone number and it was finance ministry but it's not the good one because I sent a message and reply to call another number

What province are you in?

Here is for Ontario http://www.ontario.ca/en/services_for_busines s/STEL02_039990.html

If you are in another province I would just try googling 'registering a business name (insert your province)'

bright sparks
11-02-2012, 11:40 AM
And of course they charge you to search the business names!!! Useful online service though. Thanks Reggio

Inspired by Reggio
11-02-2012, 11:58 AM
And of course they charge you to search the business names!!! Useful online service though. Thanks Reggio

I will admit I am cheap and did not pay for that option ... I did my own 'search' when I started my business by googling the name and variations that I wanted to use and seeing if any websites and so forth came up, perusing the local advertizing sites and so forth for daycares and none were any where close to my name I wanted so I went ahead and registered it.

Basically the challenge with 'not' paying to have a search done is if you were to choose a business name that someone else already HAD and they registered it 'first' than can take you to court and make you change your business name ... but seriously it is not like we are really 'branding' ourselves like McDonalds or Nike .... if you google things like 'tender loving care' or 'Kindercare' or ABC Childcare and so forth there are 1000's across Canada and the States by that same name and no one is suing each other ... I would not waste money and just do a search for your area on kijiji, here and so forth and make sure you are not choosing a name of a DIRECT competitor!

bright sparks
11-02-2012, 01:44 PM
I did a search when I started 5 years ago. I did another one today and also on the site you advised of. I basically thought about all the money I would be spending on coffee in a week at drive thru's if I was commuting and thought this was an okay way to spend $8 with all the coffee money I've saved lol

I really like the idea of putting the BIN instead of the SIN to prevent any risk of identity theft if it fell into the wrong hands. My closest competitor with my daycare name in the licensed childcare industry is in Australia at a preschool and its popular in the UK for both home based and centre based childcare which is bothe licensed, registered and heavily regulated.