PDA

View Full Version : A career changer

Cha
02-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Hi I'm a newbie! thanks Heavens I found one forum like this. I have been thinking if ECE is really for me. i have been into the business sector before I moved to Canada. But while waiting for our visa (which took 5 yrs to process), I thought of changing career - teaching. I took the board exam for teachers and passed it. Then I taught in the university.
When I came here, I found out that it takes sweat and blood before one can get certified as a teacher. Since I really love to be in the education sector, I tried ECE. Who knows I might like it in the end. I am on-call assistant in one of the govt owned daycare and taking full time ECE at night.
I don't find hard until I got hired in one daycare where children are 1-2. I/T that is!
It was a riot all the time for 4 days. And i only lasted for 4 days in that daycare. This gives me another second thought! Is this career really for me? I can be ok with the 3-6, but the I/T, it gives me a shiver to my spine!
I believe in the saying : "everything happens for a reason". I don't know why this is happening, maybe for a reason. So I just let destiny lead me to where I will be in the future.

sunnydays
02-14-2012, 06:44 PM
I am not sure what province you are in, but here in Ontario, kids go to school at 4, so really we only care for 1-3 year olds in home daycares. You may be able to work in a before and after school care instead though. It definitely isn't the kind of job you can do if you don't enjoy it as it requires a lot of energy, patience, and understanding. Good luck with your career decision! I know it is very hard when you move to a new country and can no longer do what you are trained to do and suddenly nobody values your experience and education. I really feel for you having to go through that.

Momof4
02-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Welcome to the forum and this is a difficult business but so rewarding. You do need a good support system though which is why the forums are so helpful. Nobody in our lives wants to hear about our problems with other people's kids but we certainly understand each other and why we stay in the business. My first year was super difficult but after 4 years I'm really happy to be here doing this for many reasons.

Vent away, ask away, but lean on us who have learned a lot already.