PDA

View Full Version : Should I take them all on? WWYD?

Mamma_Mia
02-15-2012, 09:54 AM
WWYD - what would you do?
I'm not sure if it's too much or even a "smart" move....:laugh: husband says I'm crazy.

I have a daugher who just turned two, dck's I have one f.t who's almost 2.5yrs & one p.t who's 3yr

Yesterday I interviewed two other dck's and they're both p.t - One is starting next week and is 21mos but very advanced and the other will be starting in August and will be 21mos then.

So my question is - should I take them all on?
I figure that by August either: a) I may terminate my f.t one due to constant rule/contract breaking if things don't change b) there will be enough time to establish a routine with the older ones from now until August, it would be easier for everyone to get used to the newest addition

That means though I'd have a total of 5 under the age of 3.5 :blink:....am I nuts for thinking of doing this? LOL

What are you're thoughts?

(by the way this is my first time w/ dc, I started January 7th of this year)

Cocoon
02-15-2012, 11:29 AM
If it was me I would take them on:) I like challenges :D providing you are allow to take 5 kids of course. And the last one will start in August anyway, you have more then 6 months to train the new comers and obviously the kids you are looking after right now will become more self sufficent. Again I would do it :)

Good Luck.
Cocoon

Play and Learn
02-15-2012, 11:42 AM
I have 4 children all between the ages of 15 months to 2.5 years. Call me nuts, but it's worth it! They play together, and are great with one another. They're easy to train if your consistent.

I'd take them on, and get rid of the f/t kid before a new one starts. It's not worth your hassle.

Bookworm
02-15-2012, 11:52 AM
I currently have 5 kids (two are my own). Four of them have JUST turned one within the last 3 weeks and the other is 2.5. It is crazy most days, but I'm hoping by summer things will relax. Two of my one year olds are only here pt, so I at least have two "quiet" days.
I would take them on. Since they are all pt, it shouldn't be too crazy. GL.

Mamma_Mia
02-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks ladies!!

In my gut I knew it's what I should do....I appreciate the advice!

sunnydays
02-15-2012, 11:57 AM
I currently have 6 kids (including my own 2) between 12 months and 3.5 years...three of them have just turned one, then my daughter is 20 months, dck is 2.5 and my son 3.5 (although he goes to preschool every morning). I would take them if I were you...especially as they are not all starting at once. I started doing daycare a year ago and thought I would only take 2 or maybe 3 tops, but ended up finding that I could handle more than I thought :)

Spixie33
02-15-2012, 12:01 PM
I don't see the problem at all.
21 month olds are not that hard to take care of and once they add another 6 months you will sometimes feel pretty bored watching them play because they will want to play ALONE most of the time with you just watching from afar.
21 months are also good at painting and colouring already so they don't need that much assistance like a 12-15 month old would.
I love that age and you also said they were PT so go for it woman ! :p:p:p It is not as hard as it sounds

Judy Trickett
02-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Not crazy. Honestly, five kids of the ages you stated is like a walk in the park for me.

You'll get into a routine and before you know it everything will run like a well-oiled machine.

Crayola kiddies
02-15-2012, 12:37 PM
I have 1- 3.5. 3- 2yr olds , 1- 23months , and 1-10 months ..... Lunch time/diaper change/ bed is busy but like everyone else said once you get a routine it's a walk in the park plus with mat leave being a year and kids going to school as early as 3 3/4..... What's the choice?

playfelt
02-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Don't forget if the one child isn't starting till Aug the others in care now will all be 6 months older. You might want to list out the ages they will be in Aug and then see if you feel better. Having your entire group of 5 kids basically 2 and over would be a dream of all of us. This summer I will be doing the three one year olds, a 2 year old and a 3 year old likely as I will have 3 spaces to fill.

Mamma_Mia
02-15-2012, 01:28 PM
By august the ages would be:
3yrs 3mos
2yrs 10mos
2yrs 6mos
2yrs 3mos
1yrs 9mos

playfelt
02-15-2012, 01:38 PM
That should totally be doable. Partly look at the pairs - two oldest, next two and then the baby is group three. Do the 4 of them pair up to have a friend or just fight amongst themselves for control of the group - that makes a difference in how much time you need to intervene. If they are pretty much independent in play then that leaves you to help the youngest join in but they will be walking, starting to talk, feed themselves, etc. so not far behind. I say go for it.

fruitloop
02-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Nope, not crazy at all. My group is 1 dcb-13 months, 1 dcb- 17 months, 1 dcb 18 months, 1 dcg-2 years, 1 dcb- 2.5yrs, and 1 dcg 4.5yrs. So nope, not crazy at all.

Errbear
02-15-2012, 05:13 PM
I had my 2, which at the time were 1 and 2, 2 other 1 year olds and a 3 month old when I first started. It's all about routine and flexibility. You can do it!:yes:

Cadillac
02-15-2012, 08:54 PM
I have: my own 19month girl, 23month girl (1/2 day full week), 24 month boy (3-4 days a week), 25 month boy( 2- 3 days a week), and two 3 year olds (full time). I will be taking on a 12 month old in april (full time). I LOVE IT! It's so much fun! 2 year olds are my absolutely FAVOURITE. You laugh all day. It takes a lot of planning but if they are part time you will get breaks from having a lot of children some days. You have plenty of time to get used to one before taking on the other. YOU'LL BE FINE!

Cadillac
02-15-2012, 08:56 PM
That should totally be doable. Partly look at the pairs - two oldest, next two and then the baby is group three.

This is why I have the ages I do. Everyone has a friend and it makes their day and my day so much better.

Look at the personalities of the two you are taking on. do you see the kids you have already getting along with them?

Momof4
02-19-2012, 01:49 PM
I love having a group as close in age as possible because it makes it so easy to plan crafts, food, field trips and all activities when they are all at similar stages of development. Right now I have 3 under 2 years old and 2 almost 4 year olds and it's not so great.

Inspired by Reggio
02-19-2012, 02:44 PM
By august the ages would be:
3yrs 3mos
2yrs 10mos
2yrs 6mos
2yrs 3mos
1yrs 9mos

Totally doable ... I personally do not like to have more than 2 'under' two years of age because I am getting older and not physically up to the lifting and bending that the wee ones entail ... but in a 'centre' the ratio for toddlers 18 months up to 2.5 years of age is 1:5 and the ages you are describing up there are exactly that ... toddlers - which are my bar far FAVORITE group ;)