PDA

View Full Version : How do I terminate a family....

Jennyskids
02-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Hi

I have a new family who started just a week ago...but I am getting a terrible vibe from the parents...very very picky...they need to know every little detail. I don't mind them asking about health and hygiene about my daycare and how i keep it clean...BUT asking about my upstairs home, and living standards, how I discipline my children, who/when do i have time to cook since i am doing daycare downstairs, how do i manage to go to the washroom during daycare hours...too many questions already....anyways I have a 2 week grace period where I or the parent can terminate the services....I have never had the need to do this...anyways can any of you great providers give me some great advice on what to say to this parent....I really do not want to continue services with this family.

thanks

Jenny:(:unsure:

playfelt
02-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Your other option to termination is to let them know why you are considering it and see if that makes them ease up. Sometimes just bringing things to their attention makes them realize how unrealistic they were beinging and if not then at least they won't be surprised when you say you are terminating.

Spixie33
02-15-2012, 07:02 PM
If this is their first time using daycare and their first child they might be a little worried about every single thing and just nervous nellys. Next time they ask something - just tell them that you do everything possible to make sure the little one is safe and that you take it very serious, etc

Kind of weird that they didn't bring up those issues in your interview though. Isn't that what the interview is for? :ohmy:

Anyways....if you really just feel that this is more than first timer nerves and you want to terminate then a letter is usually best. I think a lot of providers like to give a termination letter at pickup time in a sealed envelope and ask the parent to open it when they are home and call you.

In the letter I personally would write that "dear....... It has been nice meeting your family and (child's name). I think that (child's name) is a sweetheart but as per the contract and the two week probation period I feel that we are not a good match/fit to continue on for daycare. I feel that another daycare would be more suitable to meet your needs but I want to thank you for the opportunity.

Please contact me with any questions or concerns at xxx-xxxx and I will be happy to discuss.

My suggested end date for care is _________(date)____.

Thank you
your name

Mamma_Mia
02-15-2012, 07:23 PM
*** I'm no help, but I wanted to thank you for this post since I was going to write one up as well! ***

Good Luck

Cadillac
02-15-2012, 08:44 PM
I've had a parent do this to me. I told her that "blankety blank' was in good hands, I'm great at my job, my house is clean and to date there have been no serious injuries. I said to her that I know it must be very difficult to leave her little one but if she is to continue to bring the little one to me then there has to be trust. If she cannot trust me, she needs to find someone she feels she CAN trust. I continued saying that I just don't have the time to talk for 15 minutes about instructions on her daughter or to give every detail about the day as there are 5 other children running around my house that also need attention and supervision. . . .

Dont be afraid to say what is on your mind. Many people are not as smart as you would like to think they are and need things spelled out for them.

If you are dead set on terminating then change the part where I said 'if you are to continue to bring you kid there needs to be trust' to 'trust is very important to me and seems to be a major issue here. I feel that you would be more comfortable somewhere else. Start looking for somewhere you would feel more comfortable leaving your child. Three weeks should be enough time right?' . . . . this way there is no further discussion other than 'yes that should be plenty of time'

Judy Trickett
02-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Those are all things they should have asked you in the interview or at some point BEFORE they signed on to care. Seriously, now it's too late for them to be asking these things. Once they sign on to care they either accept things as they are or they leave.

There are reasons we have interviews and take the parents on a tour of the working areas of our home and explain our procedures. We do this so they can SEE things for themselves and ask questions at that point.

It's too late for all this nonsense now.