PDA

View Full Version : Have Parents Provide Food for Infant?

Bookworm
02-16-2012, 09:38 PM
I have an interview next week to fill my last two spots with a 7 month old and a 2 year old siblings. My question is, since the 7 month old is probably still being introduced to solids should I have the parents provide the food (especially if they want it home made) or should I include it in my fee? They won't be coming until 11am and staying until 6pm. So, I would be providing them with lunch and a snack.

Play and Learn
02-16-2012, 09:44 PM
I have a base fee - $40/day. This doesn't matter whether the parents supply food or not. And yes, they do supply all baby foods and Homo milk, as stated in my manual.

playfelt
02-16-2012, 10:07 PM
As long as food requires to be pureed parents provide it - that way they can do homemade, jars whatever they want. I gradually take over as the child starts fingerfoods. I also will provide 2% milk anytime after 12 months old that the parents want to stop sending homo milk. That is their choice. The fee is the same for all age groups even if parents are sending the foods since I still have to spend extra time warming and feeding outside of the regular meals I make.

Cadillac
02-16-2012, 10:18 PM
I don't provide lunch at all. Just snacks. This way the parents have complete control over their diet. and I have more free time for activities. I would definitely get them to provide baby food though. this way everyone is on the same page about what they have and haven't had and it'll be easier to target the source if there is any reaction

Inspired by Reggio
02-17-2012, 04:51 PM
I have anal control issues around food and hate dealing with conflict around differences of 'opinion' on what is healthy food for children :o Parents only supply 'breastmilk / formula in bottles' ... once they transfer to homo milk I provide that in a CUP because I assume if they are old enough for milk they are eating well and no longer need a bottle in care ;)

I prefer to provide it ALL food so I know what I am being exposed to, what the child is being exposed to since in my care I am 'liable' for them - plus this practice mention it allows me to 'wean' a child over to normal table food at a developmentally appropriate to that child pace ... cause in past experience when the PARENT was ready to give up baby food and the CHILD was ready were seldom the same and often you would miss that window of opportunity for developing the gag reflex and the kids would gag forever trying to get onto 'table food'....I have a peer who has a child in care approaching TWO whose parents are still feeding jarred foods at home and expecting the child to be fed jarred foods in care as a result - I personally would not do well dealing with that :no:

I make as much of my baby food from scratch - a Magic Bullet makes it quick and easy. When they are that wee I just make up a batch of things in muffin tin quantities and freeze them and then pop em out of the muffin shape and into ziplock bags - label and date. Pull out as needed for 'variety' and slowly I puree it less and less until they are eating 'finger food' consistency ... by a year they are basically on my 'menu' same as the other children just cut to their size and I do not have to deal with 'food issues' created from home.

I do charge more for children 'under two' because of this service as well as others specific to this age group.

mom-in-alberta
02-18-2012, 03:27 AM
My manual stipulates that any "specialty" food or drink is to be sent from home. Pureed/jarred food would qualify. I wouldn't change the fee, either. But I, too, would gradually provide finger foods and chunkier, more solid food.

PS- Totally agree that too many people wait way too long to start feeding "real" food. Almost 2 and still eating jarred foods? Ridiculous.
:no:

Inspired by Reggio
02-18-2012, 12:07 PM
...PS- Totally agree that too many people wait way too long to start feeding "real" food. Almost 2 and still eating jarred foods? Ridiculous.
:no:

So a child who was in the size and langauge development of a 5 year old in Costco yesterday with drinking a BOTTLE of milk ... and just to clarify by bottle I mean a BABY BOTTLE with a NIPPLE on it :rolleyes:

playfelt
02-18-2012, 04:36 PM
....and every orthodontist in the building was clamouring to hand them their card,lol. I know not funny. There has to be somebody somewhere along the way that says enough is enough and this habit has to stop.

One of the reasons I do the parents provide any food for infants or that is in a bottle - and that includes milk or juice with no reduction in price that some parents will strive to get the child on table food and using a cup at least for juice just to in a sense safe money. Regardless of motivation I get a more closely normally advancing child into care.

mom-in-alberta
02-18-2012, 09:28 PM
So a child who was in the size and langauge development of a 5 year old in Costco yesterday with drinking a BOTTLE of milk ... and just to clarify by bottle I mean a BABY BOTTLE with a NIPPLE on it :rolleyes:

I shake my head.... :rolleyes:

Momof4
02-19-2012, 11:37 AM
I charge the same rates no matter the age of the children, but parents provide all pureed food and bottled food for infants. Once they start eating table food I start feeding them. I'm not going to spend time making pureed food and I encourage parents to start their children on table food by about 10 months of age. I have a little boy who started here at that age who had been on table food since 6 months of age. These parents are so wonderful but so clueless in many ways and have learned a lot from me. I consider it part of my job to educate the parents as well as caring for the children.