PDA

View Full Version : Receipts; format/how often etc.

Dreamalittledream
02-17-2012, 06:20 PM
I know this question has been asked by someone else, but darned if I can find it....so, sorry for the repeat.
If you give receipts weekly, or monthly do you give them a total for the year as well?
What do you use as receipts? Can I type one instead of using a receipt book? Does it have to have a receipt or invoice # or anything?
On the receipt do they need other than obviously, your info., dates of care, $ received. I thought I had read that you should provide them with your SIN #?

playfelt
02-17-2012, 06:58 PM
You can make your own if you want to. Some book keeping programs or some word p rocessing programs have receipts or invoices which would also work as part of their template package.

I do buy an actual receipt book and you can even sometimes find them at the dollar store. I like that they provide a duplicate. I give a receipt weekly but I also give an annual receipt that gives monthly totals. I do them weekly as a way of protecting myself from a nonpaying parent - if there is no receipt then it means you didnt' pay me. The weekly receipts are just signed and I number them starting in January as 12 - 1 (year then number sequentially) which also is a good way to track payments and if audited it would be harder for revenue canada to say I didn't claim income when there are no missing numbers.

For the annual receipt you need to give either your SIN or apply for a business number to use. All they need is a total amount paid for the year. It doesn't need to be itemized unless you want to.

sunnydays
02-17-2012, 07:36 PM
If you go to this link, CRA has a sample yearly reciept:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/dycr/rcpts-eng.html

mom-in-alberta
02-18-2012, 03:40 AM
Semi-annually, in January and July for the preceding 6 months. I use a receipt book and put in the monthly amounts. They sign it, and then we each have a copy.

Inspired by Reggio
02-18-2012, 12:45 PM
I provide computer generated receipts upon payment for CASH as paid - so weekly, biweekly or monthly depending on the client. I created them in word with my Logo as a 'watermark' which means you can see it on the original but you would have to have some kick ass start of the art copier to be able to 'photocopy' it ... it states received from, how much and for what reason and they are each 'numbered' for my records as I record that in my EXCEL to cross reference.

I also provide annual 'childcare tax receipt' issued on or before FEbruary 28th of the following year - so I just finished my receipts for 2011.

It is also done with my logo, BIN and contact info as well as the following:

Official 20XX Child Care Tax Receipt

I hereby declare that as a childcare provider I have received the amount of $ $XXXX.XX from (insert parent name) for the childcare services rendered during the tax year of 20XX for the child (ren) named, (insert child/ren name).

Childcare services were provided at the above stated address.

Two originals of this document have been printed and signed on watermarked page, one for my business income records and one for the parent/guardian childcare expenses record. Photocopies are not used to ensure that the documents are presented in an unaltered manner.

Sincerely,

Owner/Operator
Prepared on February XX, 20XX

____________________ ____________________ ____________________ _____

I, the parent/guardian of (child/ren name), have checked my records and agree that I have paid the amount of $ XXXX.XX for childcare services occurred during the tax year of 20XX.

I agree that two originals of this document have been printed and signed on watermarked, one for my childcare expenses incurred record and one for the provider’s business income records and agree that 'photocopies' will not be submitted for tax purposes.

Sincerely,

Parent / Guardian Signature Date Signed & Received

I prefer to have every 'tax' related item in my program branded with my logo, BIN and contact info on it because with the 'store bought' items ANYONE can write a receipt and say they paid you that money ... and well I worked in centre care where unfortunately fraud was rampant for people trying to get 'more subsidy' by claiming they paid more than they did and so forth ... so I am a pessimist with regards to this ... if CRA comes claiming that someone says they paid me X amount for childcare and how come I did not claim it I want all my 'documentation' to be able to back up that it is a fraudulent receipt and that is why it was not claimed ;)

playfelt
02-18-2012, 04:27 PM
That is one of the reason's my receipts are numbered sequentialy. To have a document saying they paid more the reciept number would first look different than my original duplicate if they had altered it and second if they made themselves a receipt using a similar book to mine it wouldnt' have a correct number as I would be able to show a duplicate for someone else that had whatever number they put on. That is one of the advantages of not using a computer generated system because it is easier to manipulate. Hand written in a specific book is harder to duplicate.

Inspired by Reggio
02-19-2012, 11:58 AM
....Hand written in a specific book is harder to duplicate.

True - another reason why I sign the bottom of my receipts - because forging a signature is hard as well.

How sad is it that we have to be concerned about these sort of things when working with CHILDREN :(