PDA

View Full Version : Holy mother of viruses

Cadillac
02-21-2012, 03:12 PM
So, lately its been ridiculously warm in Toronto. Therefore the viruses are TAKING OVER THE WHOLE CITY! Everyone is sick. It started with a cold that none of my DCK were able to shake and everyone (including me) ended up on antibiotics. Then one got ear infections, another got a chest infection. Now the first has a different virus (unknown rash with fevers), the second is ok. But my kid has croup, another has croup and strep throat, a different one now has ear infections, and the final one? I'm just waiting for the call. I am not left out, with a sudden on-set of bronchitis that seemingly came out of no where.

Anyone else having these issues?

michellesmunchkins
02-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Absolutely! I've had one dck who has been sick literally with one virus after another since Oct. Mom continues to send her daily and then the others all end up with something. She has been on antibiotics 3 times since October but it doesn't seem to be helping her at all. She coughs non-stop and I mean non-stop...whether she's playing, eating, sleeping or sitting for quiet time. She took 2 weeks off over Christmas and all the other dck's got better, she came back and now they are all sick with something again! (she apparently was sick the entire 2 weeks she was off too). Luckily my own children haven't had much!

Cadillac
02-21-2012, 03:32 PM
I had a new little one start at the beginning of the year. You know how it goes, she needed to catch up on all the viruses she's never had being at home with mom. Two months she's been sick on and off. mom is getting frustrated, but there's nothing I can do. My house is pristine but she's around a whole bunch of other little snot noses all day.

I let kids come to my house with colds (not flu or weird rashes or diarrhea) but cold are fine and really just a fact of life (shoot, if I didn't let them come i'd be out of business as no one would ever be here) ANYWAYS, after talking to all the parents we've jointly decided that until the kids are completely better they are not to come. This way we all have a fighting chance to recover.

I'm so bored. My house is too quiet. I can't seem to relax to let myself get better because I'm so used to being super busy all day. It's gonna be a slooooooooooooooooow week.

michellesmunchkins
02-21-2012, 03:36 PM
Wow you have families that are fantastic then. I can't convince any of the families I have to stay home for an hour with their sick kid let alone until they get better...and even when they do take a day they complain to me about having to pay for the day when they didn't send their kid. I too, let them come with colds, but I find too many parents are medicating in the mornings with tylenol and then hoping I don't notice the green snot and fevers...by the time the fever comes back they have been here infecting all the others for hours...or they tell me the green snot is normal and that they have been checked by a dr. which i don't believe but feel bad asking for dr's notes as most have to pay for them now...such a frustrating time of year for sure with illnesses.

Inspired by Reggio
02-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Sending healing vibes everyone's way ... I have only had one daycare family struggling with germs this winter everyone else has been healthy - knock on wood!

sunnydays
02-21-2012, 04:29 PM
It's been the same here...every single one of the kids has a bad cough and cold and one also had croup and then an ear infection...his brother got a chest infection. Mine seems to be battling an ear infection as well now, but olive oil in the ear usually helps him, so we'll see. Thankfully I only had a couple of days of not feeling well, but have otherwise been okay. I had a few days of only one kid last week, but never had the whole crew off at once. Since they all have the same thing, it seems pointless to make them stay home unless there is fever.

Spixie33
02-21-2012, 04:43 PM
I think every February is like this. I find kids drop like flies in february. I swear last february I had days off all alone every other week because so many kids called in sick and it was like a little vacay for me. lol
The kids have actually been battling colds but they seem to be faring better than last year. I am waiting for a All Sick day but so far - no luck. :p
I also fared much worse last year - this year (knock on wood) not even a real cold yet.:D

I hope everyone who is sick (especially the providers) get better soon. It is har dto be cheerful and keep up with little ones if you are not feeling 100%

Cadillac
02-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Wow you have families that are fantastic then.

I do! I love them. We just have at least three different ones going around in my home alone. It's in everyone's best interest so we all aren't dealing with sick and miserable children for another two months.

Since they all have the same thing, it seems pointless to make them stay home unless there is fever.

If they all had the same thing I would just offer to be the infirmary. But it seems they all got something different then started playing tradesies.

mamaof4
02-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Its been a mild winter here too and HOLY SICK KIDS BATMAN! we just cannot shake things here! I feel like I need a yellow quarantine flag from the maritime days to warn people not to come near!

Cadillac
02-23-2012, 10:02 AM
LOL at mamaof4. I've had one for one kid for one day so far this week. I was sooooooooooooooooo close to having one today too . . . . but he puked. Tomorrow I'm supposed to have six. . . . . Unlikely

jec
02-23-2012, 10:12 AM
We've been lucky this season and only had one bad bug go through the daycare and families this year {hopefully I didn't just jinx myself :laugh:)
Hope everyone feeling sick gets better soon ~ nothing worse !!