PDA

View Full Version : Crib to nap mat....

samantha3
02-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Hello,

Just wondering when all of you ladies decide to transition a child from a crib to a nap mat in the nap room with other children? What age?

Thank you :)

playfelt
02-22-2012, 05:57 PM
I try to delay it as long as I can because it is one less thing to worry about at naptime. If possible I wait till the child has moved to a bed at home. Sometimes it has to happen because I need the room they are in for a new younger child. To transition I move their playpen to the nap room and they sleep in it till they show me that they can fall asleep , stay asleep and stay laying down till I come back. Then they move to a mat but they are reminded using a mat like the big kids is a privelege that if they abuse they will lose and have to go back into the playpen. Most of my kids go to a mat at age 2 but as I said size and what is going on at home matter.

Cadillac
02-22-2012, 07:56 PM
I just use playpens for everyone. When they are too big for the playpen they tend to be ready to ditch the anyways. They like it. I see it as being so much more comforting than being on a thin little mat on the floor

Inspired by Reggio
02-22-2012, 08:59 PM
I am same as Playfelt ... I have two cribs typically for the under twos and three daycare style cots for the other three ... I have had three years who was tiny still on the play rob cause no one needed it and the cots were all spoken for with even older bigger kids

jec
02-23-2012, 07:50 AM
I've had kids on a sleep mat at 18 months but they were great sleepers and used to our schedule. I've also had kids in a fold and play until they are 2. I think it depends upon the little one for me.

Play and Learn
02-23-2012, 08:03 AM
For one of my little ones she was almost 1.5 years old. I couldn't bend over to put her into the playpen because I threw my back out. The parents then wondered why she wouldn't sleep in her crib at home! It was because she was sleeping in the middle of a double bed here! lol oops!

I just put a now 2 year old on a cot, as he has been sleeping in a big boy bed since December. It was just a matter of me getting another cot.

For me, it's just a matter of when they're ready, how big they are (when I can no longer lift them out), and what's going on at home!

Sarah
02-23-2012, 01:31 PM
I have 2 X 2years old boy here (they just turned 2). They are huge, heavy boys (not fat, just really tall and heavy). My back is killing me each time I put the in a playpen and the playpens are getting too short for them lol!!!!

So next week, the will start on mats! I'm scared to death hahaha!!! There are good sleepers, but they have never been out of a playpen or crib so it scares me out! This week, I just stopped to give them their bottle of milk, and they didn't cry. I think they are ready at 2 to be treated a little more like big boys!!! ;)