PDA

View Full Version : Advil vs. Tylenol

Cadillac
02-23-2012, 10:16 AM
I was wondering what everyone's opinion of ADVIL is.

In my family, advil is avoided at all costs because it makes the kids go INSANE. They are hyper, going a mile a minute and act ridiculous. For lack of better words it seems to be like 'baby crack'.

Does anyone else find this?

jec
02-23-2012, 10:21 AM
I found Tylenol didn't work well for our second ~ she was constantly getting ear infections and caught EVERYTHING going around. Tylenol didn't touch the pain for her but, worked for our first and rarely used Advil for her. I never found with either of my own kids that Advil made them hyper or make them seem different in the way your describing.

playfelt
02-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Have not noticed any difference when using advil. Make sure you are getting one without the added dyes as it could be that that is the real issue. My guideline is tylenol for fever and advil for pain. I have also been told by my doctor that both can be given since they are different drugs. When my kids were really sick as in the first couple days of things alternating them every 2 hours seemed to work the best because then they didn't go through the up and down swings as stuff wears off. After the initial days you can spread them out and give according to symptoms.

Spixie33
02-23-2012, 11:45 AM
I don't think I have ever given my own kids advil. Advil is supposed to be for inflammation whereas Tylenol is more for just straight pain and fever.

I usually trust Tylenol for the kids when they are teething and for fevers. I even give my own kids the Tylenol Cold & Cough stuff (once they are old enough) and it works wonderfully.

For my headaches/migraines I think Extra Strength Advil is a lifesaver and Tylenol does nothing.

I do think that everyone should try to get the dye free medicines though. Most everything from cold to fever advil and Tylenol come dye free now. My nephew just got an allergic reaction to the dye and ended up in the hospital. Why make it colourful if it doesn't have to be? I don't think the colour makes it any easier to offer a child who doesn't like medicine anyways.

Bookworm
02-23-2012, 12:06 PM
I generally give my kids dye free tylenol for fever/pain. However, if that doesn't seem to work I will give them Advil, especially if they really seem bothered by something and it is close to bedtime as Advil lasts longer.

sunnydays
02-23-2012, 01:00 PM
I always use the dye free versions of both, but I do find Advil works a bit better and lasts longer. I've never noticed any difference in behaviour with it though. One thing I keep in mind though is to always give Advil after eating because a doctor told me once that there is research to suggest that it can cause stomach ulcers! I also try not to give tylenol or advil often as it can be hard on their systems.

Skysue
02-23-2012, 01:14 PM
I prefer Advil as it seems to work quicker, I haven't found there to be any weird side effects but I only give pain remedies if they really need it. Usually to reduce fever and there usually asleep within an hour or so.

I never give it to daycare kids unless it's an extreme cases of sudden high fever & after calling the parents 1st and even then I try to hold out for Mom or Dad to administer, I hate the liability.

Sarah
02-23-2012, 01:39 PM
They are both different medicine. They are both used for pain and for fever yes, but advil is also an anti inflammatory. So if the pain is caused by a swallen neck, for exemple, than advil would work better. If it is just for a fever, there is no point in giving advil. Tylenol should work fine. Unless your kid is in the minority for whom tylenol has no effect. Than alterning or using only advil would be better.

I give advil or tylenol and no, I have never had any issues as you mentioned! But I am not saying it isn't possible! Do a google search for ibuprophen and check the possible side effects of the medicine

Sarah

Sandbox Sally
02-23-2012, 02:44 PM
I have never noticed Advil having that effect on any kid. I prefer it, as it's longer lasting, and as Sarah mentioned, it's also an anti-inflammatory so it sometimes works on things that Tylenol doesn't.

Cadillac
02-23-2012, 07:16 PM
hmmmmmm. It's so odd. I was actually talking to my mother about it and she was saying that when my brother and I were younger she couldn't give us advil either because we'd be bouncing off the walls. My nephew has the same reaction as well as my little girl. Dye free doesn't make a difference as that's the one that made her go bonkers the first time I gave it to her.

Mamma_Mia
02-23-2012, 10:45 PM
When my daughter first started attending daycare and I went to work she got very very sick for about 3 months straight. Nothing the provider could have done, it was different things each time but one worse than the other. At one point she was dehydrated badly and dry heaving so Emerg we went. They asked what I was giving her and said Tylenol, the Dr sid "Tylenol doesn't do sh*t .... sorry to say" :laugh: :laugh: He then gave her a dose of advil about 45min after her fever which lasted 5 hours of 104.8 went down to 101....We had tried everything, cool baths, no clothes, cool drinks, damp cloth...nothing worked. Advil did!

So I have no faith in Tylenol's working abilities :no: it never worked for me growing up....I had juvenile arthritis and now as an adult really bad joint pains and Tylenol never helped with the pain. I must have been 16/17 when I first heard of Advil and it was like a miracle! I only use Advil for myself and my daughter now.

*Just my own personal feelings* :P

Plus 8hr of relief vs 4hrs = my baby get to sleep most of the night without feeling crappy!

Mamma_Mia
02-23-2012, 10:51 PM
OH and BTW - I also never had the hyper reaction when giving it to my daughter for over a year and 1 dck (with mom's approval, she actually asked me to give it since she forgot her's at home).

mamaof4
02-24-2012, 08:16 AM
tyenol and advil have different ways of working. Tylenol is an analgesic- a pain reliever where as Advil is an anti-inflammatory which often has pain relieving tendencies. For stubborn fevers, in older babies (over 6 mos~ish) I rotate them, allowing for the most relief possible.

zen39
02-24-2012, 08:41 AM
I use both. Advil can definitely be used to reduce a fever and tends to work quicker. One of my kids when she gets a high fever Tylenol does not work, only Motrin or Advil will. I've never experienced any side effect from it. I prefer having Advil on hand just because it brings their high fevers down.

Momof4
02-24-2012, 04:37 PM
All of the above posts are correct - Adult advil has hormones in it which makes it best for women and like aspirin they are both anti inflammatories. I would bet that the children's advil does not have hormones but I won't administer that to my daycare children so I'm not sure. Tylenol does not have the acetasalycilic acid so is not an anti imflammaroy and is just for pain relief.

lilac
02-27-2012, 05:47 PM
First time I gave my daughter advil she went a little loopy, but that was the only time. Tylenol doesnt seem to do much for either of my kids, so I use Advil.