PDA

View Full Version : Need help with finding my ‘backbone’ :mad:

Mamma_Mia
02-25-2012, 12:37 AM
Here’s a little back story:
Hubby and I had a very hard year last year. I went back to work from Mat.leave in January, went on vacation that April and was laid off the Thursday of my first week back. E.I. was just at 600hrs so I received the bare-minimum. We struggled badly we managed. Then hubby’s company was very slow they cut back and in August laid him off. We had no choice at that point but to sell my DREAM house :( He ended up finding another job but we already knew that financially we couldn’t hold the house on his income alone even if I had dck (I was paid pretty well at my job). Now we found a great smaller house further east but I still have to be bringing in some $$ to help out even though it is much easier.

Ok :blink: this is why I have been having such a hard time with my ONLY f/t dcg and keeping/terminating her. As some of you know I’ve been having a hard time mostly with the mother’s total disrespect of me and disregard of my contract!

Thinking of today is making me very very M.A.D :mad: - Mother texted me (she seems to not know how to use the telephone for speaking…..ever) this morning at 7:30am, when she is supposed to arrive, that due to the bad weather :rolleyes: she doesn’t want to risk being on the roads and will stay home with her daughter. She also said she would be by in the afternoon to drop off my payment. Fine. I waited until 5pm before I text her asking if she was still coming since I have errands to do. She says she’s at the Dr and will come by right after. I left my house at 7:45pm……we went to visit with my parents. Got home and $ was in the mail box…..ONE DAY SHORT! She must be confused because of a) Monday’s holiday or b) today.

Either way her contract clearly states “Unpaid fees are subject to immediate suspension or termination of care unless reasonable arrangements are made and accepted by both parties. Full time and part time fees are based on booked days, not attendance, therefore parents are responsible for fees whether child attends or not. (This also includes sick days, statutory holidays and vacation time).” A list of the statutory holidays is listed below this.

She short paid me a day two weeks ago and I was afraid to confront her in the fear of losing my only solid income. I ended up printing off a copy of the contract that she signed and highlighted in neon yellow this exact area, at pick up I handed it to her and said if she needed to speak to me about anything to give me a call….I mean seriously?!?! :cursing: :cursing:

I have been advertising like a mad woman and have had quite a few interviews praying for another f/t….heck even a p/t just so I can kick them out!

I just want to scream, I’m so mad!

How would you approach her? This would be my first time having to speak to a parent.

WWYD?

SummerLuvin
02-25-2012, 07:52 AM
Sorry you have to deal with this. I would do what you're doing. Advertise like crazy, once you get someone else, terminate. Immediately. She'll probably ask why; reason being she didn't follow the terms of payment which are clearly stated in the contract which she signed. And definitely remind her that she still owes you two days pay. Perhaps enforce payment at the begining of the week of care until you find someone else. Good luck!

sunnydays
02-25-2012, 08:02 AM
I understand not wanting to lose your only client, but if she has under payed you, you HAVE TO deal with this. Why not just send her an email asking about it...something like, "Thank you very much for braving the bad weather to drop of your payment. I noticed that the payment is missing one day's fees and it would be great if you could bring a cheque for $xx on Monday when you drop (child's name) off. Thanks and have a great weekend!" Keep it short, friendly, but to the point and don't speculate on the reasons for the missing day unless she brings it up, at which point you can refer her to the contract she signed. Perhaps she just isn't good at numbers? I had a client like this who always made mistakes on cheques (well it was the dates as they gave me post-dated cheques) and I just pointed it out in a friendly way and they would change it...they hadn't done it intentionally.

Skysue
02-25-2012, 08:37 AM
I will pray for you girl. I know how you are feeling and my hubby has been working minimum wage for the past 7 months. It really wears down a mans ego to be at such a low point. He has been studying like crazy and working to start a new career but in the mean time we need to pay bills. I'm so sorry you lost your dream home but remember it’s just a home and the most important thing is your amazing family.

You need to call this client and correct her right now, if you keep letting her away with things than she will fully take advantage. E-mail her and ask for either e-mail transfer or a cheque on Monday morning. I hope you fill your space soon but please tell her that she owes you. It's up to us to respect our business by being as up front as possible. Think about it would a massage therapist providing a service let you walk out of their office without full payment? No way!

You will feel so much more better when you have that payment in hand!

Inspired by Reggio
02-25-2012, 11:14 AM
The financial insecurity is one of the largest challenges to this industry :(

I am sorry you are going through tough financial times - however I agree that 'loosing' a client should not deter you from standing up for your contract - they need YOU just as much if not more than you need them ... you cannot allow your need for income to let a client take financial advantage of you ... I would rather get a part time job out of the home ONE DAY a week than work ALL WEEK for one client who does not respect me ... because the reality is you could pick up a shift at a restaurant and make the full weeks fees one client brings in between your wages and tips minus the expenses of feeding and caring for that child - there are always other options than allowing someone to abuse you ... life is way to short to work with people who do not value and respect you!!!!!

Either way her contract clearly states “Unpaid fees are subject to immediate suspension or termination of care unless reasonable arrangements are made and accepted by both parties. Full time and part time fees are based on booked days, not attendance, therefore parents are responsible for fees whether child attends or not. (This also includes sick days, statutory holidays and vacation time).” A list of the statutory holidays is listed below this...

Devil's advocate here but the section in RED above to me is opening you up for a world of conflict in miscommunication. From HER preservative it is quiet possible she sees she is following your contract based on the ambiguity of this wording - she texted you she was not coming due to the weather and therefore likely feels it is 'reasonable' reason not to attend care, she made the arrangement prior to the start of the day and you accepted it by acknowledging that it was ok to come later with payment for the rest of the week - therefore in her mind both parties agreed to this being an 'unpaid day' due to the weather. Not saying her interpretation if FAIR or RIGHT but that wording certainly leaves it up to 'interpretation' and is likely why you are having conflict with her over payment of days :(

If what you are meaning to say is that payments for the previous weeks care being LATE to you by whatever agreement you have will result in suspension of service / termination of care... aka payments are due by Friday at noon and must be paid in full based on the previous weeks booking otherwise clients risk suspension of service or total termination of the contract - that would close the door to weather there is an option to leaving it 'unpaid' as long as both parties agreed....cause to ME that is what that means ... if both parties agree payment can be left UNPAID.

My other advice to home childcare providers - if your policy is that you get paid for what was booked regardless of attendance - than get paid in advance of service for what was booked ... payment for days booked next week are due on Friday of THIS week ;)

This way it is CLEAR what was booked so no conflict on their part if they show up on Thursday expecting care and you thought they were only booked in Monday and Wednesday this week and it is protection for YOU in that you never have to worry about stuff like this cause if they arrive on Friday with next weeks fees and it is 'short' because of something they misinterpreted in the contract like a stat or vacation day they have planned you get it fixed right then and there before providing any service for the upcoming week - verses providing service and than if they do not pay you are 'out the money' and well we do not have the buffer of big business to afford getting stiffed or to take every Tom Dick and Harry who treats people like that to Small Claims court :(

I would definitely address it NOW because unfortunately you have sent a precedent the other week by allowing her to 'short change' you and not saying anything .... if you are not good with verbal conflict I would do the email as suggested by another poster but definitely address that this is not acceptable and there has been some sort of misunderstanding about 'booked days' and payment of them - she could be thinking that because she called ahead and canceled it was no longer 'booked' :(

Momof4
02-25-2012, 12:21 PM
First of all, I'm so sorry about your husband's employment situation and the fact that you have to sell your dream house to be financially solvent. That sucks!

As far as anything that happens with my daycare clients, I start conversations with 'According to our contract agreement....' In this case I would say to her that she signed an agreed to your contract and it clearly states payment is due. Don't be wishy washy, don't ever let it happen once or people will do it again and again. Be strong and confident where your business is concerned.

When I started in the business some wise home daycare providers who have become wonderful friends taught me that we are nurturers at heart but we have a business hat to put on when dealing with the parents. It's very true. I was pushed around and gave in my first year in the business but now I am very fair but definitely my contract is law. How will your clients think of it as a legal contract if you don't enforce it?

Mamma_Mia
02-25-2012, 11:11 PM
[QUOTE=Inspired by Reggio;10410]Devil's advocate here [QUOTE]

That's an interesting point.

I took that wording as, for example: The way I work is payment is due on Friday for the week cared for.....I had your child Monday the 20th until Friday the 24th....money is due Friday the 24th and if you are short that week or 'forgot' and only if we both agree you could bring the money on Monday....otherwise see-ya!

I agree with the email to her and letting her respond if she doesn't see things the same way....we'll see.

OH AND TO ADD A BIT MORE - the entire family is on vacation next week....so dck won't be back in my care until March 5th :unsure:

mom-in-alberta
02-26-2012, 02:54 AM
Well, if they are gone, I would send an email and ask her to send you an email money transfer. I would word it just like Kangaroomama said; short, sweet and to the point.
I hope that things turn the corner (in a good way) for your family. Sending good wishes to you... :flower:
Also; I would begin to receive payment in advance. I never provide care unless paid in advance. Is it normal in your region?

Inspired by Reggio
02-26-2012, 08:43 AM
That's an interesting point.

I took that wording as, for example: The way I work is payment is due on Friday for the week cared for.....I had your child Monday the 20th until Friday the 24th....money is due Friday the 24th and if you are short that week or 'forgot' and only if we both agree you could bring the money on Monday....otherwise see-ya!

I totally know what you are meaning - unfortunately from the client's perspective it could be being interpreted differently is all - I am going to be that she has felt she does not need to pay for the 'snow day' because she called and cancelled that day and therefore it was no longer a 'booked' day in her mind...I agree it is not RIGHT however the wording can be interpreted that way ... this is one of the reasons why I do not offer FLEX CARE because everyone I know who offers it has issues with payment and what clients FELT they booked over what the provider felt was booked :(

Either way it if were me moving forward I would remove that section entirely - IMO whether you are intending to or not that is upfront telling clients 'it's ok go ahead and forget to pay me - I don't REALLY need my income and chances are I might say I can wait for it' :(

You do valuable work and should be respected for that ... no employee would settle for their normal payday in their contract being every Friday and then one week the boss saying 'oh shit sorry I forgot to do payroll today is it ok if I get that to you next week?' .... pay day is FRIDAY you get PAID on Friday!

Personally I think every provider should have the following in their contract to set the level of expectation around payment!

Payment should be expected on the payment schedule as per the contract! Bottom line - do not set the precedent of an 'out' in your contract that sends the message late payments will be tolerated - even IF you want to be compassionate do not put that in WRITING that you will be ;)

If it IS late than a late fee penalty should apply for every day it is late - this acts as not only a deterrent to paying late but to compensate you for having to adjust YOUR access to your expected funds - what if you need those fees to pay your MORTGAGE? My contract states you pay $20 a DAY for every day payment is not received by me - so my fees are do on Friday by Noon - you come after noon with it you better have $20 extra tacked on and if you wait until MONDAY morning to pay me that is $60 late fees! (unless I CHOOSE to waive that fee - which I have I am not saying I am not compassionate but the choice is MINE they better OFFER to pay it if they come late or we have problems ;) )

Suspension of service until fees are paid in full will be eminent verse it MAY occur because you should not be working without pay - in fact you should be charging for booked days up front so that there is no 'conflict' later about what was 'booked'.

Immediate termination of the contract in relation to late or insufficient payment issues will be at the discretion of the provider - termination for this cause will result in forfeiting of any security deposit remaining to cover any money owing plus the 'inconvenience' of having had to deal with the payment issues in the first place!

Every contract should also state "The decision of the provider to occasionally 'waive' any of these policies at her discretion does not negate them entirely and she is within her right to fully implement them again as she sees fit."

This last ammendment ALLOWS you to be compassionate about a late fee if the 'reason' behind it is felt to be valid by you ... I have waived this for clients who were sick on Friday who called to say 'We are not coming in today due to illness however I will drop my payment by later today' because A) they OFFERED to come with the payment which shows me they respect my contract and did not expect 'special' just because they or their child was sick on pay day and B) it was MY CHOICE to do that because I had buffer in my bank account that time.

However other clients I have NOT waived for and said 'Sorry to hear you are ill - stay home and feel better and I will keep an eye out for your spouse with today's payment than' because I NEEDED my payment that week and it was not the first time they had tried to 'ask' for special cause they had forgotten previously and I had suggested perhaps leaving a stack of post dated cheques so it would not be an issue if they 'forgot' and they did not want to and well that is now a 'natural consequence' for having to come out when they are sick to pay me cause they used up their 'grace' on just being forgetful and their lack of planning is not MY ISSUE ;)

Mamma_Mia
02-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Thanks for that Inspired by Reggio - I will be making changes for sure!

I sent the email this morning and not sure what day they left for vacation but either way it's there...I'm just now thinking that she might play the "I didn't check my email" card.

ahhhh this in going to be one long week of waiting to see - do I have to put my war paint on today? LOL :laugh:

Mamma_Mia
02-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Is it normal in your region?

Yes it is...most of the providers I know (about 15) work this way too, and come to think of it when I was in daycare __?__ years ago :p my mother also did it like this.

Inspired by Reggio
02-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Oh hon ... just because something was standard practice 20 years ago does not mean it should still be standard practice now .... times change, expectations change, risks to a job change and so forth!

Years ago communities were small close knit and everyone either new each other or was related in some manner ... people would not even THINK of stiffing someone in their own community for a service otherwise word would travel like wild fire and well they would not find themselves being offered service anymore ... now a days this is not the case and sadly after 20 years in the field I can say that MANY clients think nothing of racking up a bill with a child care centre and than moving on to a new one leaving the bill unpaid ... one centre I worked at the boss was naive enough to keep accepting 'excuses' and the client was behind in over 4 months of care and then left ... the following year at a workshop with other centres we were venting about clients who do this and it came out that this family had done this to four centres in the nearby area but because cities are so large now a days and communities are not 'close' they were getting away with it!

We are not the only industry to slowly start to 'pay first' .... more and more gas stations, restaurants, service providers require payment up front sadly because they run into people like your current client who use a service or commit to use a service and than feel like they should not have to pay for it :(

Mamma_Mia
03-04-2012, 09:37 PM
it's 10:30pm where I'm at and I still have not heard from the mother

- did she received my message re: short payment?
- if dck is coming tomorrow and if so at what time?
- is dck not coming back because mom is upset or disagrees with the/my terms?
- are they back in the country :laugh:

I mean Monday's I have my daughter (obviously) and this one dck....If I don't have to be up at 7:00am then I'd like to know that! lol I think it's going to be a sweat pants morning incase I get to climb into bed again...I hate this - weirdness in the morning *if* she does come. If she does play the "I didn't see it card" then I have to say it to her in person. [[barf]] I h.a.t.e this.

mom-in-alberta
03-05-2012, 02:19 AM
Oh, boo.
I hope that you can find someone to fill that spot soon. I just don't think she is giving you the respect or value that you DESERVE.
Grrrrr to that mom!! :mad:

Inspired by Reggio
03-05-2012, 06:54 AM
Oh wow - I could not deal with that I really couldn't - life is way to short to deal with people who do not value or respect you not to mention the 'stress' of is a shoe going to fall with a tantrum on their part being expected to follow the contract they signed ... I personally would have had a 'time frame' to get back to me by and left both a phone and an email message to cover both venues - they would have had to confirm receipt of the message and their plans to make it right and if I did not hear from them by the time given - their contract would be DONE!

Mamma_Mia
03-05-2012, 07:07 AM
Oh wow - I could not deal with that I really couldn't - life is way to short to deal with people who do not value or respect you not to mention the 'stress' of is a shoe going to fall with a tantrum on their part being expected to follow the contract they signed ... I personally would have had a 'time frame' to get back to me by and left both a phone and an email message to cover both venues - they would have had to confirm receipt of the message and their plans to make it right and if I did not hear from them by the time given - their contract would be DONE!

I know I'm giving then toooooo many chances - I didn't press on it as much because I know they were on Vacation (Jamaica) and wasn't sure what day they left.

Mamma_Mia
03-05-2012, 07:08 AM
OOOOOOO I just got a text (of course) from the mom saying that "We're on our way"....

They live 15min away....DUM DUM DUM - let's see how this goes *fingers crossed*

Mamma_Mia
03-05-2012, 07:24 AM
((Sigh))

I have no one to blame but myself in this situation

She came, dropped off dck on top of my floor walking past the mat (I walked over to my front window to open the blinds dck likes to wave bye to mom) and she left!! :ohmy:

No money! And dck's bag has a puffer w/ chamber in it? is she sick? does she need to take it during the day? I'm mean really....

I think I know the answer to this one....but lets say she didn't see my message. Should I call her now reminding her to bring the money at p/u? Or wait until p/u? Hand over a letter with her two weeks?

How would YOU handle this?

Crayola kiddies
03-05-2012, 08:04 AM
You mean she never spoke to you at all? Not even good morning? Hopefully she has paid a two week deposit and I would turf her ass at pick up with no notice as in today is your last day ... See ya ....

Mamma_Mia
03-05-2012, 08:42 AM
You mean she never spoke to you at all? Not even good morning? Hopefully she has paid a two week deposit and I would turf her ass at pick up with no notice as in today is your last day ... See ya ....

She didn't even give me eye contact! I'm printing out her letter as I type.....

Crayola kiddies
03-05-2012, 09:07 AM
If the child requires a puffer and you have no knowledge of it and no instructions of when, how, what to look for ..... That's neglect as far as I'm concerned and I feel sorry for the child but you don't need that kind of drama in your life .....respect, Communication and consistency ! The key to happy days!

Inspired by Reggio
03-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Oh ya on some many levels I would not be working with someone like that!

A) you do not come into my home without 'greeting me' or updating me on how your child has been that is disrespectful beyond belief ... let alone leaving without addressing the payment issue which you know dang well she GOT and is hoping you will not address again if she just 'avoids it' so she will not have to pay for it.
B) you do not leave medication in a 'bag' - it needs to be handed over to the provider and placed in a locked area out of reach of children
C) you do not leave medication without both verbal communication around WHY it is needed and written instruction on symptoms it is for / when / how often / how much to give and so forth

Yes I would terminate on all those reasons above - which are violation of my contract and policies - in fact she would not have gotten IN the door to my house this morning without the payment issue being addressed - if it was not IN her hand when the door opened with an apology for the misunderstanding I would have ASKED for it before she started getting her child undressed cause he would not be staying without PAYMENT.

jazmic
03-05-2012, 11:40 AM
I would call and ask about the puffer just to see if you need to give it to the child. Although, personally, I wouldn't even go there unless you have written permission to administer medicine. Anyway, that phone call might allow you to ask if she saw the e-mail and mention the money she owes. Good luck!

Inspired by Reggio
03-05-2012, 11:52 AM
I would call and ask about the puffer just to see if you need to give it to the child. Although, personally, I wouldn't even go there unless you have written permission to administer medicine. Anyway, that phone call might allow you to ask if she saw the e-mail and mention the money she owes. Good luck!

Yes this is a great idea - to start with the 'safety issue' of the medication being left without communication or instruction and than follow up with the payment issue - if you want to 'give her a chance' she has to tonight to bring it otherwise care will be terminated effective tomorrow!

Spixie33
03-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Sounds like she was trying to 'signal' to you through her rudeness this a.m. that she is mad at you.

I would terminate and not feel bad about it. The only problem I have with terminating is a family that is really nice but for this to not even say hi and to huff off -let alone address the medicine or payment is too much. She is acting immature and being moody. I don't think I could deal with that kind of drama and you no one should have to

Mamma_Mia
03-05-2012, 12:00 PM
YES!

Well I just called her and it went straight to VM so I text her re: the puffers - she responds within seconds! This woman has nerve, "Yes sorry forgot to tell u 2 puff of blue one lunch and at dinner"..........shouldn't​ that be the first thing you say when you drop her off?!

Now that I know she is getting text messages I will send her my email message via text and request payment tonight. If not then my suspension of care letter is ready for her on my hallway table.

What do you think of this idea - if she does pay I'll have a copy of my revised contract with the new payment policy? the pay ahead one....?

Skysue
03-05-2012, 12:05 PM
I'm sorry to hear that she is taking advantage,

I by no means want to be rude or hurt your feelings (as I am a lot like you when it comes to confrontations) but this is your fault as you let her away with it this morning. You should have addressed the issue head on 1st thing.

I would have said I hope you had a great vacation? In response to my e-mail I hope you have come with payment? if she had said what e-mail then tell her to check it and that she is required to make full payment tonight or no care until payment is made.

I would still call and ask about the puffer and tell her that without written consent you can't administer and then ask about your e-mail & tell her them. Don't let this go one more minute or she will win. We show others how we want to be treated if you let her walk all over you then it's your fault.

It took me a while to find my voice in this business and now that I have I feel better about myself. Remember we are our own bosses and it's our responsibility to run a smooth business.

Let us know how it goes! Good luck!

Skysue
03-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Ummmmmm Dinner? What time is this child in your care for?

YES!

Well I just called her and it went straight to VM so I text her re: the puffers - she responds within seconds! This woman has nerve, "Yes sorry forgot to tell u 2 puff of blue one lunch and at dinner"..........shouldn't​ that be the first thing you say when you drop her off?!

Now that I know she is getting text messages I will send her my email message via text and request payment tonight. If not then my suspension of care letter is ready for her on my hallway table.

What do you think of this idea - if she does pay I'll have a copy of my revised contract with the new payment policy? the pay ahead one....?

Spixie33
03-05-2012, 12:11 PM
YES!

Sounds like a plan. One way or another - things have to change

Mamma_Mia
03-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Ummmmmm Dinner? What time is this child in your care for?

Until 6pm....yes I know rookie mistake, I'm kicking myself for a lot of things today :(

Skysue
03-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Until 6pm....yes I know rookie mistake, I'm kicking myself for a lot of things today :(

I have kids till 6pm as well but I don't feed them dinner nor am I expected to?

Sandbox Sally
03-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Girl...fire her butt. TODAY. Without notice. I can't believe that someone would have the audacity to come into your home and not even give you the common courtesy to look you in the eye. Who the hell does she think she is???

You now have a laundry list of reasons to terminate immediately. This will not get better, I promise you. People this rude and disrespectful can't be taught manners.

Mamma_Mia
03-05-2012, 01:49 PM
This is what I text her...

I think there has been some miscommunication between us. The last payment was missing one day's fee. As per the contract which you signed, fees are based on booked days, not attendance, therefore parents are responsible for fees whether a child attends daycare or not. I ask that you please have the owing "$00.00" ready for me at pickup tonight. Thank you.

At which point I will either hand her the revised contract & manual ***or*** the termination letter.

Mamma_Mia
03-05-2012, 01:50 PM
p.s. Thank you all for your support on this issue. I know I have a lot to learn but I'll get there!

Sandbox Sally
03-05-2012, 02:08 PM
A lot of us here are still learning...sounds like you're doing just fine!

Inspired by Reggio
03-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Sounds awesome - to the point and professional!

BTW I have been in the field for 20 years and am STILL learning ... dynamics of what we have to deal with in this business are always changing ;)

mom-in-alberta
03-06-2012, 12:51 PM
What a beeeyotch.... :p
It really does sound like this morning's performance was a very immature way to let you know that she's ticked at you. To which I say; who cares? Be mad all you want lady, a contract is a contract. She does not get to dictate how you will run your business.
The thing that would have put me over the edge is the puffer in the bag with no communication whatsoever. I don't know if you use medication release forms, but if you do, you obviously don't have one for it? I might have called/texted mom that she needed to come back and either fill that out or pick up her child.
Can I just ask; are you feeding this child breakfast, lunch, snacks AND supper? If so, I hope you are charging extra... Supper goes above and beyond, and in my mind calls for a premium fee.
Keep us posted!

Mamma_Mia
03-06-2012, 01:38 PM
I know you're all 'dying' to know what happened :laugh:

Last night dck's mom responded to my text at 5:22 - 3hrs later with:

"owing? i paid you for the 3 days plus the hoilday...I took Friday off"

Me: "I understand you took Friday off but if I am open for daycare then I get paid. No offense but it was your choice to stay home....like I said before these are the terms you agreed to in the SIGNED contract."

She then text me again: I discussed with u before i started that when i don't work dck stays home with me. i don't get paid when im off. but that i would pay for the days she's there and that my work is not always steady so neither is the money" ((****While she just came back from Jamaica and had her head fully braided which I personally know is more that $100US to get done****))

I was fuming....you want financial sympathy? are you f'n kidding me?

ME via text again "I'm sorry that is NOT something we agreed on...if it was it would have been in the contract. I note everything down and that was not one of the things. I noted the late pickup for FREE, the 3 weeks vacation (((yes 3 vacations but is poor?))) for FREE and the fact that I'm feeding your daughter dinner for FREE. If we discussed anything about only paying for days she comes to me it would have been there too."

Then she arrives with a pissed-attitude and says: she only wants to pay for days dck comes because $$ isn't steady. I responded, I know what that is like. I have planned for your child to be here 5 days and count on that income...when you start short paying me that now puts me in a position of not being $$ steady either.

But I told you that she would stay home with me....I thought that was clear?

No you didn't say ...and not pay you. it was not clear. *****'s mom stays home with her daughter 2 days a week and spend quality time with her but she still pays me. so when you said **** would stay home with you I though ""aawww that's nice, spending time with your kid". Not that you were going to short pay me whenever you felt like it."

(((nice dig about not ever being with her own child)))

I you want to pay only when your child comes then that changes the daily rate.
HER EYES GOT HUGE.......

what do you mean?

the price depends on the # of days your child is here...its not $00 all the time...heck its not even $00 anymore. $01 for 5 days....$02 for 3-4 days....and $03 for 1-2 days. Then I told her "I'm already giving you a break in the price, I'll let you have the keep our original daily rate and not increase you + 6pm is extra time which would normally charge $5 extra a day + I feed her dinner which would have been also and extra $2 a day + you get 3 weeks vacation without having to pay me. Its normally only 2 weeks allowed and then its paying half the rate.....so I don't think you should complain. Here is my revised contract - either follow my rules or sadly find someone else."

Guess who showed up with her kid dressed & fed this morning with a extra set of clean clothes in the diaper bag??? :laugh: I don't know if she's staying but I don't care anymore. This is MY house, don't boss me around in it.

It feels great to be back in charge!

Spixie33
03-06-2012, 02:00 PM
I know you're all 'dying' to know what happened :laugh:

Guess who showed up with her kid dressed & fed this morning with a extra set of clean clothes in the diaper bag??? :laugh: I don't know if she's staying but I don't care anymore. This is MY house, don't boss me around in it.

It feels great to be back in charge!

Good for you ! *waves victory banner
:):) Sounds like you put it all out there and let her know how lucky she was to get special treatment as it is

sunnydays
03-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Yay! you found your backbone! It feels good doesn't it? Especially not caring if she stays or leaves...if I were you I would start advertising the space as she may be looking around for something else. Way to go!!!

Mamma_Mia
03-06-2012, 03:17 PM
she may be looking around for something else.

I actually want her too and see if she can find anyone who will give what I've given her at no charge + engage with her daughter in learning activities etc. not someone who just turns the tv on all day and thats it....

When she first came to me at 2yr & 4mos she didn't know her colours, any songs or how to even play with a puzzle. Now she's teaching the others....I know I made a difference in this little girl, if she doesn't see that - again, not my problem, sadly its the child that will hurt in all of this if she removes her.

mom-in-alberta
03-07-2012, 02:52 AM
You can't see me right now... but I am standing up and applauding you!!!! :thumbsup:
If this family ends up staying, you sent a very clear message that you will not put up with crap (anymore). If they go, you don't want them anyway!! Win-win.
It would be sad, for the little one's sake. Mom is likely looking for whatever the least expensive option will be...

Skysue
03-07-2012, 06:26 AM
So happy for you! Good going!

jec
03-07-2012, 07:24 AM
I just read all this now~ WOW!
Good for you to stand your ground!!

playfelt
03-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Bet that updated contract threw her for a loop. She realized just how lucky she was to be on the old contract and it will be interesting to see in the next few weeks if she bides by it totally for fear that you will make her use the new one - hence the fed and dressed, change of clothes, etc. as stipulated in the contract. Good for you for standing your ground. And even if she does leave because she annoyed you can bet she will likely start out on a different footing with the next one so you have done all caregivers a good deed.

Sandbox Sally
03-07-2012, 11:41 AM
I am dying to know what happened next next ;)

Lou
03-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Were you like, SHAKING when she left??? I would be!!! LOL I'm so proud of you for standing up for yourself!!! People can be so inconsiderate when it comes to a home childcare business, they need to recognize that it is in fact a BUSINESS!!!! Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Mamma_Mia
03-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Were you like, SHAKING when she left??? I would be!!!

YES...kinda!! LOL
before she arrived is when I was the worst, DH was having dinner and kept asking why I wasn't eating with him....I was sick to my stomach!! Once she left though I felt better than I thought I would...more free!? hahaha

Mamma_Mia
03-07-2012, 03:26 PM
I am dying to know what happened next next ;)

I'm having a not-enough-coffee moment.....huh? :blink:

Do you mean this morning or if she ends up staying? :)

mom-in-alberta
03-08-2012, 03:47 AM
I think we just wanna know if she continues to clean up her act, or if you give her the BOOT!!
:laugh: I do, anyway!