PDA

View Full Version : What a Difference a Year Makes!

Sandbox Sally
02-25-2012, 04:23 PM
When I first started advertising to fill my day home a year ago, I was desperate to fill up. I would take anyone, and was willing to put up with all kinds of ridiculous behaviours.

The time has come again that I have open spaces to fill. The two children that are leaving me are doing so on good terms (one off to preschool, the other's mother is on mat leave). I am SO much more confident in my interviews. I am not willing to negotiate ANYTHING in my contract, and I will NOT appease parents. They can take me or leave me (and my home, my dog, my routine, and everything else!). It's a very liberating feeling. I used to feel like I was kissing butt and walking on eggshells to get people to sign on, and now I feel like they are proving themselves to ME. :D

Just wanted to say that to people who understand how great this feels. I owe it ALL to all of you, and the continued support and encouragement I have received on this forum since last spring.

Thank you, women!

Inspired by Reggio
02-25-2012, 04:31 PM
:thumbsup::wub::glom p:

A truly AWESOME place to be .... a strong, confident business women who realizes that her service should be coveted by those BLESSED to find them .... awesome place to be and yes truly liberating to realize that life is just too short to not be happy and thriving in your work!

Cadillac
02-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Way to go alpha!!!!! It is such an awesome feeling! You deserve it

Momof4
02-25-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm happy for you alpha and really hope you find a great family match for your daycare now that you have developed your program routines and can be confident in your interviews.

lunademiel
02-25-2012, 07:36 PM
This is so encouraging and inspiring! Thank you!

Mamma_Mia
02-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Boy I can't wait until I'm at that stage of the game!

Also possibly not having financial concerns may help.....lol

Momof4
02-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Financial difficulties are the worst for stressful days and sleepless worrying nights.

Believe me, once you have been in business for a couple of years and have a great client base you won't ever have to worry about filling spaces again. I now have a huge waiting list and clients who constantly recommend me to their co-workers and I have to tell them that I'm full and can't help them. It's a wonderful feeling to be wanted and appreciated.

Sarah
02-26-2012, 01:27 AM
I don't know if you remember, but I was coming here before my moving to Toronto and we did chat a few times. I am so happy to read this! It is great that you now have that confidence in you! Are you finally taking more kids as you wanted? Is this why some parents are leaving?

Sarah

mom-in-alberta
02-26-2012, 02:48 AM
This post deserves an ATTA GIRL!!!
:)
I am also curious; did you decide to take more kids in? How did the one family take it?

Sandbox Sally
02-26-2012, 07:10 PM
I did decide to take the 4th. I sent out the long version of the email I posted on the thread, and one family said the more the merrier, and the family who told me they weren't comfortable with the idea did not reply. So, yesterday I texted her, and asked if she had received my email. She said she had, and I told her that I hoped she understood, and hoped that Miss D. would continue to receive care here. She replied that she wished that I wasn't taking the extra child, but that Miss D. was happy and safe with me, and as far as she was concerned she wasn't going anywhere. :)

So no, nobody left due to my announcement. As I mentioned, I only had four (two part timers, two full timers, so three at any one time), and two are leaving due to matters unrelated to care here.

Sarah, I definitely remember you, of course. How are things going in the East End?

michellesmunchkins
02-26-2012, 07:27 PM
This is so inspiring, can't wait until I get to this stage :)

Sarah
02-27-2012, 05:27 AM
Oh I'm so happy for you that your parents thrust you enough to say with you, and even more that you followed your wishes for your business.

In the east end :) everything is great. We moved in june, took the summer to adjust to our new environment (mostly for the kids) and had our first DCK in september, than twins in october, and I wanted to add one more in february (wanted a 3 years old and it doesn't happen often, they are rare hahaha!!!) but the only "suitable" call that I received was for siblings. The mom was willing to separate tem, but it is against my values to do that so I took both. So it is now a full house! 1X16 months, 2X2 years old, 1X10 months and one 3 years old...along with my daugther, 4 and my 2 school age boys (6 and 8). In march, I will start them on a monthly activity book(in french). Everything is great! And I also chose all my customers! I knew what I wanted from having done the daycare thing in Québec...