PDA

View Full Version : Moooood swiiinnnnngs!!! Is it baby brain??

mom-in-alberta
02-26-2012, 03:17 AM
Okay, lately I am feeling a little unhinged, emotionally.... I feel like I am more anxious than usual (ie; when I leave my house I am worried that it is going to catch on fire). I find that things are unsettling me more than usual (ie; our community has had some very tragic events recently and I can't stop thinking about them! that's why I don't usually watch/listen to the news). I am slightly more forgetful, and that is saying a lot, since I can be a little scattered. And I just feel like I am falling farther and farther behind, with a to-do list that grows more each day.
I don't feel sad, or depressed, just not really "MYSELF". Is this a post partum thing? My baby is just 5 months old, but I don't recall this from other babies?
I certainly don't feel that I am a danger to myself or anyone else, but I am wondering if it's something I should be concerned about.
Anyone have input?? It sure would be appreciated.... :blink:

Inspired by Reggio
02-26-2012, 08:51 AM
First got a big ole hug for input ;)

Second - I have experienced all of those symptoms and had no baby .... for me it was Vitamin B & D deficiency ... being vitamin B and D deficient mimics a lot of symptoms of 'depression' as well as 'forgetfulness' .... and well having just given birth your body is likely still adjusting to having 'shared' so much of its nutrients with babe plus women often taken the supplements WHILE pregnant and than think they can stop afterward but in reality you are likely still using more than 'normal' while caring or breastfeeding baby .... if you are not taking Vitamin B or D supplements I would try that and see if it helps alleviate the symptoms - double check with the pharmacist which are best if you are breastfeeding as I am not familiar with what gets passed on to babe or not in regards to this!

gcj
02-26-2012, 09:46 AM
I think Inspired by Reggio has some great advice. I take Jameson StressEase which is vitamin b-complex. I honestly feel it helps. I experienced feelings like you described after being diagnosed with celiac and was deficient in many vitamins/nutrients. Takingvthis regularly has helped. Sometimes when I stop taking it regularly I feel "off" then realize that I hadn't been good about taking it. I try to get what I need from my food, but it isn't always easy.
Also, do you meditate? I can't yet, but even just practicing is very helpful. You need to do it when you feel calm to get used to it, but then you can call upon what you've learned in moments of anxious feelings. I wish I could master it, but even the feeling of "relaxation" is helpful!
Good luck!

Sarah
02-26-2012, 10:19 AM
A lot of women, after having a baby, exprience problem with their Thyroid. I suggest that you make an appointment with your physician asap. If not taken care of, it'll go worse and worse... I am not saying this is what you have, but it looks a lot like what I had after my second child. At some point, I was in a horrible state (my baby was about 8 months by then).

Sarah

Cadillac
02-26-2012, 10:41 AM
First got a big ole hug for input ;)

Second - I have experienced all of those symptoms and had no baby .... for me it was Vitamin B & D deficiency ... being vitamin B and D deficient mimics a lot of symptoms of 'depression' as well as 'forgetfulness' .... and well having just given birth your body is likely still adjusting to having 'shared' so much of its nutrients with babe plus women often taken the supplements WHILE pregnant and than think they can stop afterward but in reality you are likely still using more than 'normal' while caring or breastfeeding baby .... if you are not taking Vitamin B or D supplements I would try that and see if it helps alleviate the symptoms - double check with the pharmacist which are best if you are breastfeeding as I am not familiar with what gets passed on to babe or not in regards to this!

This woman a star. Listen to her. She is right. Vitamin b12 is the biggest culprit. Take the pills the melt under your tongue as the others don't allow for optimal absorption. And give yourself about a week to feel the different. Iron deficiency can also cause these symptoms. I have to take both. when I started, it was like the clouds parted and I could be me again.

mom-in-alberta
02-27-2012, 02:54 AM
Thanks so much ladies.... and I needed that hug, lol!! :)
I will absolutely look into the B/D supplements. And it's funny that you mention iron deficiency. I was pretty severely anemic during this last pregnancy, I bet I still am. Time to start with those supplements, probably!! (My biggest craving, was ICE! After a couple months, it almost became a compulsive thing, so I googled "ice cravings" and wouldn't you know, it's a symptom of anemia. Weird!)
I was thinking about getting my thyroid tested anyway, as the women in my family tend to have thyroid issues.
I have meditated, but admittedly, I don't carve out the time to do it regularly. I have only really achieved a true meditative state once or twice. It sure was soothing, though.
Good advice, and thanks again!