PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone experienced this...?

samantha3
02-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Hello,

I have had this one little boy in my care for over a year. He is always busy working on something or happy to play outside etc. Today right before rest time he tells me 'Mommy mad at my sister. She cries lots. I dont want to come here, its no fun'

I am not sure how to take this as when I see him interacting with other children or by himself he is always engaged and appears to be having fun. I am not sure if he is saying this right before rest because he does not enjoy napping? Or if this is a genuine feeling?

I am now taking this personally, but at the same time I am not sure what I could possibly do to make his day more fun because I provide a stimulating program and am constantly trying to do different activities etc to keep the children stimulated.

any thoughts?

Bookworm
02-27-2012, 03:25 PM
You don't state how old the child is in your post, but his comment to you seems like he is putting "random" thoughts/feelings together. He may be expressing worry over something at home, or may just be "making" up a story. Or maybe he is just having an off day and misses being at home.
I wouldn't look too much into his statement unless he repeatedly tells you this and/or his behaviour and attitude about being at daycare change. I'm sure he does have fun at your daycare and if you continue to keep him stimulated I'm sure you won't have any problems with him.

samantha3
02-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Thank you for your response! He is three years old (his mom is also home a lot and I believe he picks up on this).

Momof4
02-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Those are odd sentences for a 3 year old, but sometimes children hear things from their parents and repeat them in an incorrect manner and they don't make much sense to us. But if I were you I would tell the parents exactly what he said and ask them if there is something you should know about. No use letting it make you crazy, just ask and get a straight answer from the parents. I hope he just had some weird thoughts in his mind that don't make any sense.

Cadillac
02-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Oh hun! Don't worry. Gosh, I have a three year old that fights her mother to come just about every other day. but she LOVES it here, her mother knows that and I know that and all day she's like 'Andy, I just love you sooooooooooooo much! But I didn't want to come today' so I'll say to her 'well, are you having fun?' and she'll say 'ooooh yes!' . . . 'so are you glad you came?' 'Yes I am.'

Ask the little one out right if he's having a fun day. He'll tell you exactly what he thinks.

Inspired by Reggio
02-27-2012, 08:36 PM
My first gut response reading that is to ask "Is mom at home with a new baby sister" cause children definitely pick up on that and no matter how FUN / LOVING / ENGAGING A PROGRAM we have we are not their parents and most children prefer to be with their parents .... my guess that IF mom is home with a new baby sister that he is probably just 'expressing' that even though the baby cries a lot he would rather be home with his mom than at daycare.

I have a child whose mom is at home as well and he too often 'struggles' to come in when it is her dropping off and says horrible things about hating it here, its boring, it's full of 'babies' and he is not a baby, he hates having rest time and so forth and yet he ALWAYS has a great day here and is engaged and having fun and when it is home time he never wants to leave he is having too much fun which he will say to her too repeating the same things to her about going home - I hate it at home, its boring, my toys suck and so forth :roll:

mom-in-alberta
02-28-2012, 02:30 AM
No matter HOW MUCH fun your house is, it's not his house. And 3 is exactly the age that kids start catching on to that, and the idea that perhaps what they say will influence you/mom/dad,etc.
I wouldn't worry about it, or take it personally, AT ALL!! As long as he still seems like he is having fun, he probably is! If it starts to become a regular thing he voices to you, I would let mom and dad know that this is what he is saying BUT he is still doing well, and that you just wanted to let them know.