PDA

View Full Version : Parents upset about sick days.....opinions/advice?

busydaycarelady
02-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Hi there!
In my contract I have written that I am entitled to 7 sick days per year. Should I go over that limit(never have as of yet), then the next months rates will be adjusted accordingly. All parents read and signed on that. I make sure to go over it with them specifically. Anyhow, I was sick one day last month and mom now wants a reduced rate. I went over this part of the contract with her again and she says she will not pay full monthly rate next month. Her and her ex husband are frequently 5/10 minutes late and I don't get on their cases. Anyone dealt with this before? Plus, her child is quite difficult and rude(Ive already asked for advice on dealing with a very rude 7 year old on this forum). And she sends her kids sick, basically leaves them outside my door and drives off before seeing if they're inside. What are your illness policies? Thanks in advance!

Sarah
02-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Reading you mystifies me! I don't understand why you would tolerate that kind of behavior. Mostly I don't understand "how" you can keep your sanity with parents like this. I am sorry, I do not want to be rude or anything, and keep in mind please that english is not my first language and I might say things in a different way that you are used to. But you have to respect yourself more than this. It is your house that these people are entering. It is your family that these people are joining. If they don't respect you, make them!

I do not have a illness policy. I have a RESPECT policy. Respect me, act logically, respectfully, intelligently, don't think I'm a fool, don't lie to me, don't hide your kids condition to me, etc... And I am not shy to tell the parents, and even write it in my policy book, that if I feel used, not respected, taken advantaged of, etc... I will go from being a really nice and understanding person to a really upset lady, and I will not keep doing business with you!

Straighten your back!

And how can the 7 years old respect you when his own parents don't and get away with it?

busydaycarelady
02-27-2012, 10:48 PM
I never said that I would be okay with them not paying me the normal monthly fee. I will NOT care for the children if I am not paid the correct amount. Perhaps I should have said this in my post. I was more just frustrated and venting and seeing if anyone else has struggled with difficult parents in this respect before. I believe an illness policy should be in place, as then everyone knows where erveryone else stands. Even if they pretend not to remember. I have struggled with this family before and have given them a "needs to improve by date" or else they're gone. I live in a very small place and finding children to fill spots is not easy at all, but I need the money to pay bills, etc. I am trying to make the best of my situation and am currently looking to fill this family's spots with another family that is more agreeable. However, for these children's sake I have tried in the past to make a positive impact in their lives(their own parent's couldn't care less about them I don't think), but I am at the end of my patience.

mom-in-alberta
02-28-2012, 03:20 AM
You're not the only one struggling with this, as there are some other posters on here dealing with the same things.
It comes down to respect, for me. I would be looking for another family, actively, at this point. You have already tried, in a number of areas, and they clearly don't care. So; goodbye!!

Sarah
02-28-2012, 05:59 AM
Hi busydaycarelady,

I understand your situation, I know it must be hard. Of course you can vent as much as you want. It will probably be helpfull to you. My post was NOT to insult you. I do come from a really small town, and I know what it is. as well as I know how hard it is to not meet ends financially. But it is only my opinion that I gave you. Regardless of all the struggle (financially or to find new kids for my daycare), I would not accept this situation.

But please make sure I am not judging you, you have all my respect. I know not everybody is like me!

I find in life that by respecting my values, I was happier and things just felt into place afterwards!

Judy Trickett
02-28-2012, 06:32 AM
Seriously........WHY are you asking this question? NOT being sarcastic or harsh but if a parent will not abide by your contract - ESPECIALLY when it comes to payment - you TERMINATE them and move on.

If you worked out of the home and on salary and had a sick day you were entitled to be paid for and your boss told you they were not gonna pay you for that day would you keep working there??

Honey, no one is picking on you. We are just tossing out some tough love so you will toughen up to and see that what you do has VALUE and you are worthy of respectful parents who don't think they are in charge of YOUR business. Tell them the contract is NOT negotiable.

Seriously, tell them straight up that they pay or they are gone. Period.

jazmic
02-28-2012, 07:28 AM
I agree. Just politely insist that the terms were clear in the contract and you will unfortunately have to terminate care if she doesn't pay the full fees next month. Please do this no matter how unpleasant it may be. You don't want to set a precedent for her to flaunt the other terms of your contract.

Cadillac
02-28-2012, 07:30 AM
I would tell her that if you don't get a full paycheck then you won't be taking care of her children that month. Is she going to find daycare in one day? HA! She'll pay you. She's had enough warnings for you to give her a 'better improve or your out of here' letter. Honestly, the money you make is not worth her bullsh**

Inspired by Reggio
02-28-2012, 07:43 AM
... Anyone dealt with this before?

I have not had to deal with this before and like the other ladies I honest belief it is because I demand that my business and myself be respected!

My clients know if they TRIED that here they would be terminated ... the wording in my contract clearly states 'violation of any policy or procedure contained within this contract or client handbook will result in immediate termination of service and forfeiting of security deposit. The provider choosing to 'waive any policy or procedure contained within on one occasion does not negate the contract obligations on any further occasions' ... my rules are followed because they were AGREED UPON and the condition of NOT FOLLOWING is clear - you disrespect the contract you are disrespecting ME.

Now if I CHOOSE to be compassionate and 'bend' a rule for a client it is because I CHOOSE to do that because conditions were favorable at that time and in those specific circumstances but do not EXPECT that to happen again cause that means you did not value the 'generosity' you were shown for what it was and I make that clear to if I ever DO make an exception to something 'this was a one time deal please do not expect this again cause I cannot afford to be generous in this manner ALL the time - this is my business and I need to be able to keep it viable'.

The is a emotionally challenging and physically demanding job and you deserve to be PAID for the important work you do as agreed in your contract to clients or they do not DESERVE your service!

Play and Learn
02-28-2012, 08:02 AM
I have not had to deal with this before and like the other ladies I honest belief it is because I demand that my business and myself be respected!

My clients know if they TRIED that here they would be terminated ...

So true! They signed the contract, if they don't like it, then they can leave. I can find other golden families that will respect me, my home, and MY RULES!

jec
02-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Sounds like we know where the daughter gets her attitude from. Yikes!! This is a respect issue for me as a daycare provider and person. I agree with all these ladies ~ they signed the contract. I am all about putting things in writing, I would put together something for them stating what the Mom has said..not wanting to pay, then state the contract that she signed and that payment not made in full will result in end of care effective..and put the date that you expect the payment. this lets them know that you are a serious business and that she can't walk all over you. It will either put her in line or give her the option to walk. either way, you know you gave them the option and you were professional.
It's not easy to stand up to people like this...and once they know they can ~ they will start picking at you for other things...like showing up late and sending their kids. Stand your ground and you will feel much better for it. Not easy so writing something is another way of not doing it face to face if your uncomfortable with that.
Good luck and let us know how it goes

dodge__driver11
02-28-2012, 10:58 AM
I have posted lately about not feeling liike I run my business that Parents do. Even though I am struggling for income right now--I have out my foot down. I told the one family that it was eithier keep the flexibility I allowed them re:weekend and evening care (its factored into my fee) or move to a daycare that is not open these hours and lose this service.

If you don't put your foot down and deal with these issues when they happen parents will prey on your weakness. Plain and simple.

Inspired by Reggio
02-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Here is the main page entitled 'A Guide to Common Infections' - please not your Region or Province might have different ones and different exclusions and so forth ;)

http://www.healthunit.com/articlesPDF/14630.pdf

Opps - this was for the hiding a fever thread not sure why it posted here must have clicked on the wrong thread????

Momof4
02-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Are you advertising and interviewing to replace this family? I certainly hope you know you deserve to be respected and your contract is LEGAL! Once they signed the contract they agreed to abide by every clause in it and that's all you have to say. Do you have termination clauses? Mine states clearly that disrespect or abuse from the children or the parents is one of the causes for termination. I know it's so hard to do that and start a new family and we all have to make a living, but what is more important, happiness and having families in your daycare who respect you or foregoing the money for a month or so while you find that family?