PDA

View Full Version : Non-"Daycare" - re:Potty Training

Mamma_Mia
02-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Hey All :)

My little one who turned 2 three weeks ago has been very interested with the potty. I think it helps that the other two dck's are also using the potty. She'll sit on it and read her book then wants to wash her hands lol She comes up to us when she has poop and smacks her bum-bum and says she has "pee" :laugh: It's a hit-&-miss with regards to waking up in a dry diaper though...

Hubby and I were thinking of trying with her to see if it works! (if after a week nothing changes we'll try again in a month or so) but I read some many different way and got a lot of advice I don't know where or how to start!?

Advice? Tips?

I'm asking for step by step's, one person said just put her in underware and she'll hate getting dirty then tada (ummm.....no) one said wait until she always wakes up from nap & overnight with a dry diaper (I'm not waiting unti she's 5yrs old haha)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

If this works it'll be awesome!! that means we'll transition the crib into bed at the end of the year when hopefully we'll be expecting and it wont be too many changes at a time! **wishful thinking** :laugh:

THANKS!!

mom-in-alberta
02-28-2012, 03:37 AM
Well, one good thing is her "awareness", and wanting a bum change. That is pretty big when it comes to potty training.
When I potty trained my 2 boys and 1 girl (so far) I actually did do the undies around the house. BUT you don't just let them roam and wait for them to tell you they need to go! (not yet anyway) Every 20-30 minutes or so, I would say "time to go potty!" super-fun-happy-excited-voice, lol. We also did rewards (stickers, treats, etc) from time to time. I know for some people, the jury is still out on that, though.
I didn't really use pull-ups, unless we were away from home or they were napping. None of my kids woke up dry, even when they were totally potty trained during the day. So I didn't wait on that.
Good luck!!!!

mom-in-alberta
02-28-2012, 03:39 AM
Forgot to say; be prepared to clean up a few messes, and if needed, throw out some undies! :)
Take her shopping to pick out the big girl undies after she has started to have some success. And we would make jokes like "Remember, don't go pee on Dora!!" (if they were Dora undies).

KingstonMom
02-28-2012, 06:12 AM
a dc parent potty trained her 18 month old daughter using the "Potty-Trained in 3 days" method. http://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-training-in-three-days-or-less_10310078.bc

Check it out! It worked like a charm for them. Difficult at first and expect lots of messes, but I will be trying this method when my son is ready.

Good luck!!

Mamma_Mia
02-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Thanks ladies!!
This seems to be the most commonly used method so maybe I'll look into it more :)

Stay tuned :laugh:

jazmic
02-28-2012, 07:31 AM
We did potty training in - well, it was 4 days not 3 - and it was great. It was a messy 4 days, but she got it after that. I highly recommend it. :) I'd be happy to answer any questions. And we did this just before my daughter turned 2.

playfelt
02-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Just read part of the article and not sure how the bare butt at home but in diaper and clothes at daycare would actually work in terms of teaching the child what to do. There is no way there will be any bare butts at my house my own with other kids here or other kids while in my house. Maybe I didn't read far enough in the article to get how it would work with constantly switching back and forth to diapers after the weekend of no clothes.

Spixie33
02-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Personally for my kids -- I started younger than most other parents. I started around 19 months old.

I also do not recommend getting a potty. I would get a stool they can climb and a soft toilet seat with their fav character. The actual pottys are really messy to clean and then you still have to retrain them from the potty to the big potty after so you have to train twice. Just go straight to the big toilet with a potty seat for their smaller bums and make sure it has a little cup to make sure the boy pee stays in.

I went to walmart and bought some of the training underwear. They are basically waffle underwear that are made of cotton but have a few layers to them.

around 19-20 months or so I would sit the children in the potty to get them used to it a couple of times - not expecting them to do anything. I would also show them how one of their dolls or stuffed toys could sit on the potty and fakely clapped for the doll/toy pretending it had done a pee or poop.

I also got lots of potty books from Chapters. Books like "Caillou Potty Time". They like the book and you show them and explain everything. It helps a lot too.

Then I put the child in the waffle underwear when they were awake with thick jogging pants.

If the child poops - toss the underwear. don't even bother cleaning....but the pee ones you can wash of course.

You will notice that your child suddenly realizes that they went pee/poop because they suddenly feel it on their skin with the cotton. Diapers are actually designed to pull moisture away from the baby/child so children are still quite comfy when they pee...but suddenly having that wet/dirty feeling come to the child brings awareness. Oh...when I push with my bum then poop comes out and I am dirty...oh I peed and that feels wet...etc

So after the child would pee I would put them back on the potty and explain the pee should have gone in the potty. And I would also try and take them there every hour to try to do a pee or poop.

During nap and sleep at night I used pullups. Diapers were gone so there was no confusion. No more changes while laying down...everything was done standing up like a big kid. Underwear and pulls ups were put on standing up and pulled up and down.

I would suggest waiting for a day where your child shows interest in the potty. They will study it, want to sit there on their own because they see you doing it or something or ask about it.

My dck are training now (3 of them) and they are all 3. My own kids were perfectly dry even at night by 2.5 tops. I find that the older kids are not easier to train. I figured they would understand better but they are actually less willing to try and more set in their ways

Spixie33
02-28-2012, 11:21 AM
also -- one of my moms went gung ho with the 3 day method.

:(:eek:
She booked a few days off work and really went cold turkey. Well 3 days my foot. It has been over 3 weeks and the child still has multiple accidents every day and the worst thing is that he hates pooping on the potty so will do that in his undies.

It is tough because I find it gross and don';t want it in my house or the pee and think that even at 3 he is not getting this method. It is probably too sudden for him. The mom is determined though so I am here >>>> Rock ME Hard place

I have days where I am about ready to stick a diaper back on him. Three year old pee does not smell pretty

Mamma_Mia
02-28-2012, 12:15 PM
It's funny you mentioned that because my mom just called me and said "when you were kids we got these waffle underware...." lol

and Playfelt - I agree with the no-bare buts - we're not THAT open...lol

sunnydays
02-28-2012, 12:42 PM
I read the first part of the article too and got stuck on the bare bum for three months part...if I did not have a daycare, I would be fine with this and actually did this for about a week or two when my son was training...but, with the daycare, there is no way I am going to let my daughter or any other child go bare bum. My daughter is 20 months and has been obsessed with the potty for months and occasionally actually pees in it and usually wakes up dry (last night she slept with no diaper...I didn't realize she had stripped before going to sleep...and woke up dry), but I have been waiting until she has more success in the potty before trying underwear. We have some cloth training pants that are waterproof, so we'll use those when we get serious as my experience with the waffle undies is that they leak and I end up with pee on my carpet (two dck's have confirmed this for me so far).

Mamma_Mia
02-28-2012, 08:09 PM
yup.....not more than 15min ago I was wiping up a puddle from the waffle underwear.....I feel like I have a puppy again but in a much more liquid kinda way!

We have lamanite flooring and my poor-baby slipped in her pee :eek: trying to come to me and hit her head....so far it's not a "fun" time for her :no:

mom-in-alberta
02-29-2012, 02:41 AM
Exactly what spixie33 said; is what I didn't have time to write out yesterday!! :yes:
I didn't read the linked article; but I couldn't do a bare bum training. I need the security of a pair of undies, at least! It's minimal, but still... Not to mention, does this bare bum get to sit on my couches, chairs, and try to climb up in my lap, as well as sit on toys, etc in the playroom? Ick... LoL.

playfelt
02-29-2012, 08:17 AM
Not that many years ago we started training kids from about 12 months on using the potty regularly - well sitting on at intervals at least. Basically once they could walk we started. When there was some semblance of success and holding it for half an hour or more we moved from diapers to those waffleweave - used to be twice as thick by the way and we also used plastic pants over them to collect and hold the missess - that is the step that gets forgotten - go ahead and let the kid have underwear to feel the wet but use good quality plastic pants to make them keep their pee inside the pants not on the floor or couch. Most kids were well on their way to potty training by 18 months. Not really sure when kids changed so drastically .....think it was that generation of kids who were taught they didn't have to do anything they didn't want to that had kids and well....

I have one parent that did the just put him in underwear and didn't think having 2-3 accidents a day was a unusual. To me it is a child that is not ready. After a couple weeks I said no more and put him back into a pullup. He continued in underwear at home had accidents in the mall, on buses, in the carseat, etc. and again they just went with the just put him in underwear and it will come mentality. I train kids using pullups and if you do it when they are truly ready takes no more than a couple months. Wearing underwear is an earned privilege not a right. You show me you are not a baby anymore that needs diapers and you can wear big kid underwear simple as that.

Skysue
02-29-2012, 12:43 PM
I did it in 5 days and my little one went without pull-ups at night after a month. Use an alarm put a timer on it every 20 minutes. Everythime it goes off put them on the potty without saying anything. Let them sit there for a few minutes encourage them to go, don't use diapers only underwear & or training pants. If they go make a huge deal about it, do a dance or give a sticker or a treat! I used smarties (gave 2 for pee and 3 for poo) and it worked for me. After the 1st 2 days your will get a better feel for how long they can go between and set a time accordingly. Be ready to clean up accidents and never make a big deal about it!

By day 5 you will feel like it will never work but then something amazing happens they will tell you when they will have to go. Swear by it!

If you use rewards just go with it until they really have the hang of it. The have a graduation certificate for them & tell them that they have graduated and they don’t need treats, as they are no0w an official “BIG BOY or Girl”

This 5 day method really works a freind of mine did all of her 5 kids with the same method! Good Luck!

Mamma_Mia
02-29-2012, 07:23 PM
So day 1 - my child seems to have a huge bladder!
I set the timer for every 15min and she'd pee 5min after having an oops :unsure:

I'm starting to understand the no panties-bare bum concept.....panties feel like a diaper. I'm not sure if she's truly ready yet...I know it's just day one and its been a long day and 2 loads of socks, pants & panties later. This morning she peed in the potty which was great but I'm starting to think it was just luck.

Bribes don't seem to make a difference so I'll stay away from them if I can - we're going to try the 3 day approach tomorrow & Friday since it's be just us two home all day.

ok.....I'm off to fold ity-bity panties again :laugh:

sunnydays
02-29-2012, 08:58 PM
They do tend to not release all of the oea at once...which is why they can pee again in 5 minutes. They remind me of dogs who need to pee on every bush they go by:laugh: Good luck with it!

Mamma_Mia
02-29-2012, 09:57 PM
They do tend to not release all of the oea at once...which is why they can pee again in 5 minutes. They remind me of dogs who need to pee on every bush they go by:laugh: Good luck with it!

Exactly what my husband said earlier!! LOL

playfelt
03-01-2012, 09:13 AM
And no method is going to work for a child that is not mentally and physically ready no matter how ready we are. When a child is truly ready it can happen almost overnight but until then you really have to wonder if the effort is worth it.

Mamma_Mia
03-01-2012, 09:19 AM
And no method is going to work for a child that is not mentally and physically ready no matter how ready we are. When a child is truly ready it can happen almost overnight but until then you really have to wonder if the effort is worth it.

amd I agree with you, we had set a timeline of this weekend....if we don't see improvement or the fact that she's catching on then we'll wait another month or two.

Mamma_Mia
03-03-2012, 11:59 PM
For those who would like to know - a little update...

She's doing awesome! Has learned to 'hold' her pee (yet hasn't exactly mastered the making it to the potty on time). Two days in a row now she has woken up from overnights & naps with a bone-DRY diapers! I'm sooo stunned!! When I don't catch it on time she comes to me saying peepee....then pees! :laugh: but it's a big improvement in 3 days! We went from the "puppy" stage of 20 mini pees a day to now 2-3 big ones a day.

Thanks to all of you for your tips!

mom-in-alberta
03-04-2012, 03:18 AM
Yaaay, atta girl... and your daughter too, lol.
:)

Mamma_Mia
03-07-2012, 09:55 AM
So QUESTION - It seems she's mastered the art of holding her pee. But I mean like she woke up at 8am with a dry diaper, had breakfast & milk and still has not gone to pee its 10:30am.

We go to the potty every 30min - she's in panties & pants during the day and bare-bum when it's just DH and I. Then during the day when we don't expect it she pees an accident. I've tried giving 'salty' snacks so she drinks more water and that doesn't help much.....

:laugh: :laugh: as I was typing this she came to me, grabbed her hoo-ha and said peepee - we went to the poty and she peed!!! hahaha

playfelt
03-07-2012, 11:29 AM
The first stage to potty training when they say they need to pee is really they are saying "I am peeing". As to how long they can make it stop to get to the potty depends on the child. As long as she knows this feeling she will get better and better at knowing the feeling she gets just before she gets the urge to pee and come sooner.

You could probably extend your trips to the bathroom to 45 minutes maybe even hourly if she is holding it that long. Extending the time between trips to the bathroom may actually let her be able to pee when she gets there even if it is just a piddle.