PDA

View Full Version : Ad response bizzar.

Skysue
02-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Had someone today call about my ad and asked if I had a full time spot open I said yes and he said to hold it for him as they need care as soon as Monday.

He hasn't even met me yet? I said you need to meet me 1st for an interview to see about compatibility and he said ok. I am seriously thinking of canceling the interview, as he doesn't seem fully interested in anything about me, just the space?

Go with my gut right?

Emily3
02-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Super weird!! Who waits to the last minute to find care? Don't they want transition time? Unless they have a problem with their current daycare and feel the need to move immediately and are in a bit of a panic. Did they ask to meet you ASAP?

Spixie33
02-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Wow. It does sound like for whatever reason they need care desperately.

It could be that they suddenly got offered a job and have to start Monday or that their current provider terminated or they terminated their provider. I would give it a chance.
Him saying to hold the spot just means he wants you to keep it warm for him. He could be saying that to several other providers as well just so he can pick what daycare he wants.

When is the interview?

I would interview....but with a wary and suspicious examination to see what kind of feel/vibe I get and what sort of answers are given about the sudden need on such short notice.

good luck

Momof4
02-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Skysue, you are in charge right? You own your business and it is your contract and you can choose who you allow in your house. Definitely go with your gut but if they show up for the interview thinking they have the space make it clear from the first minute that they have to pass the interview before you will accept them. No harm in meeting them and hearing their explanation, it may make a lot of sense. However, be cautious and watch for those big old red flags!

dodge__driver11
02-28-2012, 07:20 PM
I had the same thing happen tp me today 2 people called me URGENTLY seeking care and I said we had to meet to take a tour go through my handbok etc, and they are both no shows. I would be very leary of this. (Of course hubby is here I refused to meet these types alone after that nutso lady)

Play and Learn
02-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Very weird. What I would do is ask for references from this person before you do decide to meet with him for an interview. Maybe they just don't understand there's a system to look for daycares?!

dodge__driver11
02-28-2012, 08:06 PM
good question, you can always tell the parents that are serious and genuinelly (sp) are looking for the best fit generally thier calls open with Hi I am calling about you ad on__________ Do you have a min to answer a few questions?

Mamma_Mia
02-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Very weird. What I would do is ask for references from this person before you do decide to meet with him for an interview. Maybe they just don't understand there's a system to look for daycares?!

Or are in a rush because they're being terminated from current care?? it's just weird....

Play and Learn
02-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Or are in a rush because they're being terminated from current care?? it's just weird....

very true! Who knows?!

little rascals
02-28-2012, 11:13 PM
I had this happen to me on the last long weekend . She told me needed care to start Tuesday and had no time to meet. Told her need to meet to go through contract and registration and that sort of stuff. She agreed to meet on Monday and then didn't show up. She wanted to reschedule for the next weekend. I got bad feeling about it and just said no sorry cant hold the spot that long. Did t have a good feeling about it from the start but agreed to it bc having a very hard time filling spots.
I hope you have better luck then I did.

michellesmunchkins
02-29-2012, 06:36 AM
It may seem weird, but I've had this happen to me too. Got a call on a friday that they needed childcare to begin on the Monday. I agreed to meet with them on the Sunday as I was curious and they ended up being one of my favourite families :) Ended up that the rush for daycare was because the Mom was offered to go back from mat leave early to a higher paying/position job and they hadn't done the daycare search yet as she technically wasn't supposed to go back until 2 months from then. Maybe the family who contacted you is in a similar situation. Just trying to add positive and hope they are not some crazy family who has been kicked out of other daycares lol :)

Inspired by Reggio
02-29-2012, 06:45 AM
Oh ya potential red flag for sure ... depending on where you live in Ontario there are 'centres' that are closing with little to no notice for parents which might account for 'urgent' need of care specially if clients do not have vacation or personal days to take to find new care :(

That said regardless I would not be willing to 'skip' any portion of my interview process - chat with me on the phone and answer MY questions to see if we are a MATCH and than we MEET to ensure we are indeed a MATCH and than if I want to INVITE you into my program we go from there - you do not automatically 'get in' just cause I have an opening and well sorry but that mentality is a HUGE red flag for me because everytime I have come across it in my 'career' they are the clients that assume they are 'in charge' of everything and do not get this is YOUR business, YOUR rules and the only thing they are in charge of is deciding if they ACCEPT the services you are OFFERING them or NOT .... you do not get to go into a lawyers office and dictate that he is taking you on as a client specially without hearing your 'case', that you are only willing to pay him X and you expect him to work Y hours on your case ... those are all things that are HIS BUSINESS ... you tell him what you need and he lets you know if he can or is willing to provide it ;)

Sandbox Sally
02-29-2012, 08:48 AM
I would meet with them. No harm, no foul. As others have said, they might just be in a bad spot. Maybe you were recommended? Maybe they've heard of you? Anything is possible. I'd hold off being suspicious until after you meet them.

Skysue
02-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Went with my gut feeling on this one and passed.

I refuse to ignore this inner voice anymore as I have ignored it in the past only to get bitten in the A-double-assets!

Inspired by Reggio
02-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Went with my gut feeling on this one and passed.

I refuse to ignore this inner voice anymore as I have ignored it in the past only to get bitten in the A-double-assets!

I agree ... we did not get to 'hear' the conversation but the tone / words you relayed in your post made it not about the 'urgency' being a red flag for me ... cause I have interviewed people who needed care to start on a Monday due to emergency pulling of a child from a program that was not working for them .... for me the 'assumption' that you would hold the spot for some person you have never met and the presumptions that your spot would definitely go to him like you had no 'say' in the matter - that would be a NO GO for me over here!

Lou
02-29-2012, 12:59 PM
I received an email just now from a gentleman who was getting immediate full custody of his 11 month old son (sheesh!) and would need childcare ASAP. I cn't because I don't have an infant space available right now. There are plenty of reasons why someone might need immediate care, just be leary and ask lots of questions! Good luck!