PDA

View Full Version : Car Safety

mamaof4
02-29-2012, 09:37 AM
there is a family who has 2 children aged- 4 and 2, and whenever I see them leave the children are not in safety seats. When I brought it up to mom she said that she never used a safety seat as a child and is fine..(well- a lot has changed in 30 years).

Husband says to leave it alone- they are her kids, but I cannot stop the thought that, if heaven forbid something were to happen, I would feel guilty for not intervening. What is the best course of action?

Inspired by Reggio
02-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Well I would personally remind her that it is the LAW in your province and unfortunately failure to have a child properly restrained in a motor vehicle is a criminal offennce of child endangerment and if you witness it again you will have no choice but to report it to both CAS and the police as per child protection laws for professionals .. not sure about your province but in Ontario we are legally obligated to report concerns of abuse, neglect and endangerment ??? If something haopened and investigation showed we KNEW we could be found legally negligent as well:(

Dreamalittledream
02-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Holy cow; seriously? Think an anonymous complaint to the police would be in order here.

Inspired by Reggio
02-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Google career crash test videos and email her the clips of what happens to a child not restrained in a car - yes we survived only because the law of averages meant we were not IN an accident ... more cars on road now going faster and more distracted = more life threatening accidents :(

Sandbox Sally
02-29-2012, 11:38 AM
It is against the law, and this is child neglect, plain and simple. I would call the police the next time she left my house. I would not hesitate. Yuck.

ETA: If you are not comfortable reporting her, let me know what time she leaves your house, and where you are, and I will place the call.

Sandbox Sally
02-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Well I would personally remind her that it is the LAW in your province and unfortunately failure to have a child properly restrained in a motor vehicle is a criminal offennce of child endangerment and if you witness it again you will have no choice but to report it to both CAS and the police as per child protection laws for professionals .. not sure about your province but in Ontario we are legally obligated to report concerns of abuse, neglect and endangerment ??? If something haopened and investigation showed we KNEW we could be found legally negligent as well:(

Oh yes! Never even thought about our own personal liability here...good point. OP, cover your butt! Her negligence is not worth your livelihood.

jec
02-29-2012, 12:42 PM
:blink: What is this mother thinking!!!! I would call the next time you see her drive out as well!!

Lou
02-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Yes, absolutely, 100% call. It is your responsibility as a caregiver to these children and as a person! She is neglecting her children's safety and well being, and using them to break the law.

Cadillac
02-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Freakin morons!!!!!! It's not the like seats are that expensive. you can get one for $50 at walmart. I'd report her

Mamma_Mia
02-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Ditto with the other ladies, I'll call too!!
If they get 4-5 calls she wont suspect you 'only' KWIM?

Spixie33
02-29-2012, 08:28 PM
I highly doubt there were as many people back then texting and driving or driving distracted on cells.
She will never forgive herself if her luck runs out. Does she really want to take that chance? A lot of things have changed in 30 years. When we know better - we do better

mom-in-alberta
03-01-2012, 01:21 AM
You have to be kidding me??!!??
I would flat out tell her that I was not comfortable with her driving without the children secured in the appropriate restraints. And if that failed, I would WITHOUT HESITATION call the police with an "anonymous" complaint.
How has she not been pulled over for this before? I got pulled over for a mandatory carseat inspection last spring, and I had my daughter and one of the daycare kids with me. I was given $400+ of tickets because they felt that both the seat straps and the tether straps were "too loose". I even got one for having my daughter in a booster seat instead of a 5 -point full carseat. (Although I flat-out disagreed with that one as she was 4 yrs old and of the correct age and height!!) I had to go to a carseat safety clinic to get the tickets waived.

Dreamalittledream
03-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Just wondering how it all played out mamaof4?

mamaof4
03-01-2012, 08:08 AM
She is here again today- I'm calling and reporting her if she does not use the darn seats

playfelt
03-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Before I call I think I might actually tell the mom the situation you are in. Yes she is going to know it is you and be really mad but if she gets caught then she also has no one to blame but herself because you warned her. If you say to her that because of your position you are obligated by law to report - and hand her a printed copy of the rule so she can see that you aren't just making it up and include the penalties she could be facing. Then if she still refuses then call. If she leaves your place with the kids buckled then well at least you have covered yourself. Of course the guilt of knowing she likely isn't doing them up on other trips is something that may make you want to call anyways. I am going to assume that it isn't that far from your house to theirs and that is why she thinks it is ok even though we know it isn't.