PDA

View Full Version : Hats off to you all!

gcj
02-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Hats off to you all who do this job with little vacation time. I run my daycare on a school schedule...2 weeks at Christmas, March Break and summers off. With 2 1/2 days until March Break I wonder how the rest of you do it. I'm not sure I'd survive this business with any other schedule!

Inspired by Reggio
02-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Green with envy over here ... I remember when I worked my first job in a centre I was there just over 10 years and had earned 6 weeks of paid vacation plus we were closed almost two weeks at Christmas - it was HEAVEN and very hard to give up!

Working from home is way less stressful for me though so I do not feel that 'need' for as much vacation and do not get any where NEAR as sick as I did in that environment either - although I do get 10 days of vacation and 10 personal days off each year one day I would love to work up to the summers off!

jec
02-29-2012, 12:38 PM
I had worked myself up to 4 weeks vacation at my last job so that was super hard to give up!! The pros outweigh the cons for me and I figure when you start a new job you get 2 weeks ~ and I've slowly worked myself up to 2.5 weeks now :woot:
OMG I would love your vacation time!! I had to close my daycare in my last town and open up again here so I'd be afraid to give myself that much vacation. I'm the new kid in town here ;)

gcj
02-29-2012, 12:41 PM
My husband's a teacher and all the kids I have or have ever had are either teacher's kids, teachers aid's kids or school nurse kids! Of course it's a little rough on the wallet, but if there's a will there's a way...and there IS will! :laugh:
Beyond the fact that I love my schedule, I just couldn't imagine doing daycare with him around the house! No way! He gets in my way and makes the kids really hyper! :p

Sandbox Sally
02-29-2012, 02:52 PM
summers off with hubby....that'd be AWESOME. :p

fruitloop
02-29-2012, 03:07 PM
I take 3 weeks off a year and usually have a fair amount of teacher families in care so I have lighter loads during break times and a lot of the time I get 1/2 the summers off. Like you said though, it's tight on the wallet but worth it in the end.

Crayola kiddies
02-29-2012, 03:28 PM
I would love my summers off with my kids .... Buutttt .... Not with hubby .... He drives me to drink when he's not working .... Two weeks with him in the summer is plenty ; )

little rascals
02-29-2012, 03:38 PM
I wish to have all that vacation time. I only get two weeks a year and they are unpaid and no sick days either. I just started my dayhome in may 2011 so only going to be a year. I am hoping with more years in the business ( if I can manage to fill my spots) I will be able to take some paid vacation.

Momof4
02-29-2012, 03:47 PM
I didn't take any vacation time in my first two years running the daycare so the last two years I've developed a system where I take a week in the spring, one in the summer and one in the fall. Then just this past year I added in vacation days in the Christmas week. So every 3 months I have a week off to recharge.

I had 4 weeks per year at my last job so I guess I was missing that break time. You have to let your daycare families know in advance to be fair though in my opinion, so I choose my vacation weeks for the next year before year end and give it to the parents in writing. Most of the parents have that much vacation coming to them, more if they split it amongs the two of them.

gcj
02-29-2012, 05:33 PM
I would love my summers off with my kids .... Buutttt .... Not with hubby .... He drives me to drink when he's not working .... Two weeks with him in the summer is plenty ; )

omg. I'm killing myself laughing! :laugh: Maybe that's why I drink more in the summer.... Too funny!
We enjoy our summers together....so far....:p

Crayola kiddies
02-29-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm glad you found it funny cause it was meant to be .... I really do love hubby but... He really does drive me nuts....he is not a disclipiniarian (sp?) so when he is around the kids run amok .... And I feel like I am saying the same things 10 thousand times over ..... He works from 10-10 so I am used to not having him around and doings things my way so when he's off and hanging around he really cramps my style.... So we are taking two weeks together and I'm taking one week with my kids and he can take his other week when he likes as long as it's not my week lol

gcj
03-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Oh, Crayola Kiddies, I was SO thinking about you a couple of times this week....as I was REALY encouraging my husband to get out of the house and go do something for himself. Which, was really for me! :laugh: He felt bad to leave me, but I was "NO! GO!" Trying not to sound too desperate.
I mean he's great and all, but holy crap, he makes more noise than 5 preschoolers sometimes! What's up with that?!?!
Just had to share.. :p

Crayola kiddies
03-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Haha too bad men can't read between the lines ..... " get out and do something " is really " just get out" .... My husband is also chronically ill and he doesnt work Fridays so he spent today laying on the couch moaning and groaning and sighing .... Good grief !!!!!