PDA

View Full Version : Vent

Lou
02-29-2012, 01:37 PM
I have a temporary care contract with a neighbour friend 2 doors down. Never again!!! At first her twins were coming on their off days from school, and then I picked them up from the bus tops and provided afterschool care for them on the other days. After 2 MONTHS of the little girl crying all day, every day....andthe little boy throwing violent tantrums several times/day (they're almost 5!), I reduced their contract to only provide after school care. Fine...no hard feelings...is now working out well. EXCEPT, Mom is a halfwit. Constant late payments, rarely responds to emails and I have tried to contact her FIVE TIMES today to find out how her children are getting home from school (it's freezing rain here today and the buses have all been cancelled), to no avail. I don't understand how someone can be a PARENT and be so irresponsible with communication with their childcare provider! Dang!!!!! Only one more month, only one more month, only one more month.....

ECE53
02-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Something I learned a long time ago is to never take a child of a neighbor or a friend, even a friend of a friend. I have lost friendships when people don't understand that we run a business.....neighbo rs can be tricky if things go sour....
As far as the kids getting home from school .... You are only responsible once they get to you.... If mom brought them to school with buses cancelled she will have to get them home . I don't understand these people either...but they are out there .

Sandbox Sally
02-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Hugs!:glomp:

Mom's not doing her job if she isn't answering messages about buses being cancelled. What does the school do with kids who are not picked up? NOT your problem, but it's her kids that suffer. Bummer.

jec
02-29-2012, 03:01 PM
You've done your part by trying to contact this Mom..not once, twise but five times!

I'm assuming that one more month means that your dealings with this family will be over soon. Then you will only see them when you both happen to be outside at the same time. You can then wave, smile and think to yourself not my problem any more.

Ya, I learned not to take any neighbours and caulk this one up to a lesson learned like I did.
I don't think she will find too many people out there that would put up with what you are ~ they will be kicking themselves that they let a great provider go!

Momof4
02-29-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm sorry the family is taking advantage of you, but you are not the parent and you would be within your rights to make a call to Children's Aid in my opinion. Those poor children are suffering and where are the parents? You can only do so much as a caregiver.

Inspired by Reggio
02-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Ya - lack of communication around important things such as this would be a 'written warning' that if it happens again their contract will be terminated - COMMUNICATION is KEY specially around attendance!