PDA

View Full Version : Doing daycare in an oversized apartment

hope717
03-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Hello

I have a 3 year old and am starting work. Everyone has a different price. What should I get for what price.? So confused??? Any tips thanks

mom-in-alberta
03-04-2012, 02:23 AM
Your best bet to look directly at the pricing is to comb through the ads on daycarebear (using your Postal code to find dayhomes in your area) or kijiji. Many of them have the rates posted, so you should get an idea. Keep in mind that (in general!) you will pay more for a centre, as opposed to private, in home set up. You will also find that fees are dependant upon location, providers experience, hours of operation, whether or not meals are provided, and so on.
The best thing you can do, is interview multiple caregivers. When it comes down to it, don't base your decision solely on cost/price. Paying a few extra bucks a month is well worth it to find a provider that you like, and your child feels comfortable with!!
Good luck with your search.... :)

jec
03-04-2012, 04:54 AM
Your best bet to look directly at the pricing is to comb through the ads on daycarebear (using your Postal code to find dayhomes in your area) or kijiji. Many of them have the rates posted, so you should get an idea. Keep in mind that (in general!) you will pay more for a centre, as opposed to private, in home set up. You will also find that fees are dependant upon location, providers experience, hours of operation, whether or not meals are provided, and so on.
The best thing you can do, is interview multiple caregivers. When it comes down to it, don't base your decision solely on cost/price. Paying a few extra bucks a month is well worth it to find a provider that you like, and your child feels comfortable with!!
Good luck with your search.... :)

I couldn't have said it better ~ nothing is more important than finding the right provider that not only your little one likes but, you know when you drop your little one off to go to work, you don't have to worry.
I was a Mom who worked outside the home before I started my home daycare. I went through quite a few interviews before my husband and I found the right provider for our kids. We found her and even drove 1/2 hour to get to her!
Good luck on your search!

Momof4
03-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Mom in alberta gave you great ideas. I run a daycare in my rental apartment and admit that I keep my prices on the low end of the scale for our city because I share my living room with the toyroom/sleeproom. So I developed a wonderful program that makes me proud and I offer home-cooked meals and learning themes and lots of field trips since we only have a small area outside.

I agree that you should arrange meetings with at least 6 different caregivers and have your questions ready and look around carefully. Keep safety foremost when looking around but use your Mom instincts and ask every question that you want to ask. There shouldn't be anything to hide at the daycare so the provider should answer any question you may have pertaining to the contract and the program, food, naps, etc.

Like jec, I worked outside the home all my life and my children went to some 'babysitters' who just put them in front of a tv and fed them junk food. I had good ones and bad ones though and sometimes centre care. So now it bothers me a lot to be called a 'babysitter' because I am the exact opposite and all the home daycare providers I respect the most are like me. You will find both - so be careful!