PDA

View Full Version : YIKES! Gastro virus spreading thru my daycare

Other Mummy
03-04-2012, 09:40 AM
:ohmy:

I've bleached and sanitized and cleaned surfaces forwards and backwards throughout the daycare and the common areas we use. Hubby and I spent 3 1/2 hours Saturday morning cleaning. Then this morning my 15 mo old throws up :blink:

ddc #1 came down with it on Monday morning. Called his mom and she picked him up right away. Then on Friday afternoon another ddc threw up. Again parents came right away and picked up ddc. So after the second child got sick, I knew I was dealing with an actual stomach bug. Ugh. :blink: Hence, the megga cleaning ontop of sterlizing on Monday when ddc #1 got sick.

So my question is....standard 72 hours AFTER symptoms leave I can open my daycare (after doing said excercise above, again and again...I better break out the industrial size bleach). Please pray the rest of us don't get sick. We really need the income. I hate losing two (maybe more ?) days. :no:

Inspired by Reggio
03-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Ya sending healing vibes your way...I would personally just do the 24 hour symptom free because our sampling is too small to go on the Public Health recommendation that 10% equals an outbreak ... 10% of 5 kids is half a kid ;) In a centre when i worked there if your enrollment was 60 kids and 10 staff there needed to be 6 or more with symptoms an outbreak to move from 24 hour normal exclusion to 72 hour or a confirmed stool sample showing Rotavirus or Norwalk before you hit the 10% mark ... Otherwise the first group got off lucky with just 24 hours ... does your community have confirmed cases of either anywhere ?

Momof4
03-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Oh lord, I'm wishing you good health this week. One of the bad things about having children coming to your house every day is that they bring their little germs with them. I have another head cold this weekend thanks to one of my little sweet friends. We have to let them in with every little virus, but I also have a 24 hour rule for vomitting or diarrhea or anything else contagious besides a virus.

Sandbox Sally
03-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Feel better! We ALL had it this week. I was closed two days this week. THEN...as soon as the gastro was gone, my son got a respiratory thing. We ended up at the hospital. His fever broke this morning, after having it since Thursday afternoon. It was a hellish week here in my house.

Let's all say, hello spring! Open those windows.

Other Mummy
03-05-2012, 05:36 AM
Thanks Alphaghetti, Momof4 and Reggio for all the healing vibes :D

My daughter hasn't thrown up since Sunday morning. So it's business as usual on Tuesday. Alphaghetti, good to hear your son is better. Poor boo.

Guess I'll take today and just play with my OWN kids today :yes:

Crayola kiddies
03-05-2012, 09:12 AM
I just do 24 hours as well

sunnydays
03-05-2012, 12:40 PM
I normally just do 24 hours, but wishing I had put 48 hours for extremely contagious and awful things like gastro! Today I had a parent bring her child after having had gastro over the weekend...it had been 24 hours since his last symptoms, but 1/2 hour after he arrived, he had diarhea and seemed very fussy so I had to send him home. Praying now that he didn't spread it while he was here!