PDA

View Full Version : Before and After School Care

lunademiel
03-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Hi there,
As most of you know I just opened my dayhome. I have an interview this week for after school care.

I was wondering what sort of questions I should ask? I don't even know where to start! I will probably end up with 3 children before/after school.

I am unsure if I should charge a flat fee or if I charge different for one who needs care in the am AND pm or if they only need pm care.

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated!

Inspired by Reggio
03-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Personally a space is a space in my program ... before and after school children still count in my 5 children and at this time I am not willing to take a hit in my income to offer this service.

I know for peers who like the quiet days they offer $15 for morning only and $15 for afternoon only or $25 for both ...and full day fees for PD or March break and summer weeks...the full day rate in our area being $35 a day

lunademiel
03-04-2012, 06:26 PM
In MB we are allowed 5 under the age of 5 (that includes our own) and 3 school age. So taking in the extra school age kids isn't a hit in my income. It's actually an increase so I'm glad there is a market in my area. I wasn't really prepared yet for this age as I've been focusing on my preschoolers. The average full day fee in my area is $28. I'm not even sure the avg. for before and after school!

Thanks for the info!

lunademiel
03-04-2012, 06:30 PM
I auld also clarify that those are the rules for a government regulated licensed daycare, not private. I am currently working on my license. Private homes are only allowed 4 under 5 and that includes your own children. Also no school age. Most private providers don't follow these rules though...

Inspired by Reggio
03-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Ah - love hearing about how different other provinces are!

Here in Ontario 'unregulated / unlicensed' you can have 5 children PLUS your own in your home and those children can be of whatever age you see fit but if you go with a LICENSED agency than you can only have 5 including your own and that includes children up to age 10 and you can only have 3 under age three of of those no more than 2 can be under the age of two ... seriously no financial incentive for the provider to BE licensed unless you really need the support of an agency and are willing to 'earn less' to get that support and for parents the only real 'benefit' of licensed model is if you are eligble for subsidy - cause if you are paying full fees it will cost you about $10 more a day to be with an 'agency' when you could contract a provider privately for less and basically can the same service .... I follow all the same rules of 'licensed agency based ' provider would with the exception of on occasion I might have more than 3 under 3 but I do stick to the no more than 2 under two years.

lunademiel
03-04-2012, 08:17 PM
It IS very interesting to see how other provinces do it. For licensed we are only allowed 3 under the age of 2 in that 5 children total. Unlicensed we are only allowed 2 under 2. Her in MB there is a HUGE demand for childcare. It's actually really nuts! Last week parents actually camped out at a center before registration day so they could get in line for childcare! This is nuts! The interview I have this week for after school care is for a Mother who stood in line two hours before registration with the school's after school program and did not get a space for her child.

Mom's get their kids on waiting lists while they are still pregnant. I already have a waiting list for the under 2 kids. It's already up to 5 families.

If I were going back to work, I honestly don't know if I could find care for my two kids. It's really sad. I don't think I'd be able to send them to the same daycare even if I did find care.

The sad part is that the government is NOT being helpful at all in the licensing process. I applied 6 months ago, I've done absolutely everything asked and I still have not had a co-coordinator come to my house for the first visit. It's very very frustrating.

Also if I did decide not to get licensed, there is no insurance company who would insure me for more then 5 kids and that includes my own, so I would NOT be able to take on the 3 before and after school kids, which means an extra $150 or so a week.

Play and Learn
03-04-2012, 09:09 PM
In Ontario here, and I charge $20 for before AND after school. $15 for either or.

MeMe
09-26-2012, 11:55 AM
I charge $18 for before AND after (includes breakfast and snacks) and $12 for just after.$35 for PA Days and March Break.

Starshine
09-26-2012, 09:47 PM
I charge $20 for before AND after, $12 for either or, and $30 for PA days.

TinyTots
02-02-2013, 04:09 PM
How many school age children can you have for just Before and After school care?

Momof4
02-02-2013, 07:09 PM
In Ontario you can only have 5 children that are not your own under the age of 10 at any one time in your house, no matter if they are b/a care or full time. Other provinces have other rules and I can't help you with that.

TinyTots
02-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Thank you - I'm doing some research on B/A school care. Do you need to register yourself as a business so you can write receipts out and file income tax?

Momof4
02-03-2013, 11:44 AM
In Ontario you are supposed to pay the $60 and register a business name if you use one but you don't have to if you don't have an actual name for your daycare. You can look it up on the Ontario Government Services website under childcare services.

I buy receipt books at the dollar store and write them out in duplicate, one for the parents and one for me and give them all out at the end of the year. I type out a separate sheet as a summary so the parents have a copy to submit with their taxes and the receipts to keep for themselves or vice versa. I don't give out my SIN.

Feel free to start all the threads you need and ask questions Tiny Tots.

amotherfirst
02-03-2013, 09:25 PM
CRA Requires that you put your SIN on the receipt. See the following link:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/dycr/rcpts-eng.html

This is Canada Wide. Thought I'd let you know in case you or your parents were ever audited.

Momof4
02-04-2013, 09:06 AM
One of my daycare parents works for Canada Revenue small business section and performs audits on small businesses. She has never asked me for my SIN. I don't like to give it to anybody. But if someone was audited I would provide it to CRA of course.

Patricia1969
05-19-2015, 04:45 PM
New to the site and wondering whether folks charge flat rates for before and after care? I have 2 siblings and I charge $20 per day with one snack for each. But there have been many times that they don't come because their grandparents pick them or up or only one comes or they take holidays...and of course Mom doesn't pay for those days. Any suggestions? She has asked for me to look after them again in Sept. but I would like to set up a flat fee, is that common? Would it be okay to ask for payment whether they're here or not, unless I have to cancel due to sickness?Thanks in advance!!

babydom
05-19-2015, 05:41 PM
Yes! If they are taking up a spot payment is required regardless. If not u can fill the spot with someone who will pay as u have bills to pay as well. Do a contract. If it's off contract, as in you dont have a contract.....then she just pays when the kids are there. 20$ is a common rate for B&A.

Patricia1969
05-19-2015, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!

Busy ECE mommy
05-19-2015, 08:59 PM
When I did before/after care I charged a flat rate of $24 a day-it's too hard to fill spots either am or pm, so I did a flat rate. PA days are $45.

Fireyesblue
05-21-2015, 01:18 PM
FYI...You can have up to 5 kids in total which DOES include your own (up to the age of 10; with only 2 under 2 years of age). This 5 pertains to full-time, part-time and before/after school care.