PDA

View Full Version : CPR / first aid refresher courses

admin
03-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Hi everyone,

Do you make a point of following a CPR and/or a first-aid refresher course from time to time? Do you feel that once a year is enough, too much, or just about right?
It's all about preparing for the worst while hoping for the best!

:)

Play and Learn
03-02-2011, 07:08 PM
I keep my CPR up-to-date (each year), although my first aid is outdated, but am going to do this soon! I don't want to be caught off guard with any injuries (and probably should have it for my dance school too!).

I actually lost a parent (would have had the child 1 day/wk to start) because they saw that I didn't have my first aid up-to-date. Not a big loss for me though - would have been tough on the poor child!

Momof4
08-08-2012, 04:18 PM
I take the refresher course once a year. It makes me feel more confident and it only takes a few hours as compared to the full weekend one that I took the first time from the Red Cross. Then I post my nice fresh CPR/First Aid course card on my bulletin board for parents to see which makes them feel more confident leaving their children in my care.

jec
08-08-2012, 05:09 PM
I take a refresher course once a year as well

Inspired by Reggio
08-08-2012, 05:18 PM
I do the annual refresher each year as well for the same reasons as Momof4 ~ however just a note that this thread is from March 2011 and I think it was bumped today by a spammer basing that on the fact that it is a new person, from the States with a 'link' in their post that likely has absolutely nothing to do with first aid ;)

Kim1985
03-29-2015, 03:02 PM
Hi,

Where do you ladies take your annual refresher once a year? Is it an online class or in a class room? How much does it cost ? My red cross First Aid have expired in April 2014 and I want to update it before I start my home day care..... Im in Ontario.

Thanks for your help! :-)

Suzie_Homemaker
03-29-2015, 04:30 PM
Hi everyone,

Do you make a point of following a CPR and/or a first-aid refresher course from time to time? Do you feel that once a year is enough, too much, or just about right?
It's all about preparing for the worst while hoping for the best!

:)

This one thing that I always make sure is current. I let police checks expire unless I have vacancy but never let my first aid or CPR expire. I always do a refresher.

Kim1985
03-29-2015, 06:59 PM
Suzie Homemaker where do you take your refresher each year? Do you take it online or its in class? What are the cost for a refresher?

Thanks! ;)

playfelt
03-29-2015, 07:06 PM
Red Cross or St John's Ambulance offer first aid.

kindertime
03-29-2015, 08:26 PM
I have done many of these over the years, in Ont. and Que. Last time I called St. John Ambulance in Ottawa, I was told that for the first aid and CPR, if you haven't done it with them before or if you were more than three years out of date, or if you were up to date but with another agency, you had to take their whole weekend course (Sat and Sun). If you are up to date with them the refresher is one full day every 3 years.

In the system here, in order to be licenced, we have to have a full day (8hrs) every 3 years. Starting last year, we also have to make sure that the course includes a section on Epi-pen and severe allergies. Last time I took it, it was with the Heart and Stroke foundation. That's only cuz the guy who gives the course has chosen to go with them. And a lot of the info, especially in the CPR part has changed since I did it last. (I updated last Aug.) I have to say, though, I'm glad it's only every three years. I don't sleep for a week after taking it!

Redhead
03-29-2015, 09:32 PM
If you are in Durham Region I know an excellent independent instructor who can come to your home and fit around your schedule. PM me for details :)

Polkaroo
03-30-2015, 09:53 AM
FYI First aid and cpr only needs to be done every 2 years, I checked this year to be on the safe side.

Suzie_Homemaker
03-30-2015, 11:17 AM
Suzie Homemaker where do you take your refresher each year? Do you take it online or its in class? What are the cost for a refresher?

Thanks! ;)

We have lady who comes from sports centre in one of bigger towns, who train all their staff. She does refresher in our home. Better price for group of 6 or more so all local provider come my house and we all do it here.

It about $60.00 each.

Not really suitable for new first aider. The St John's weekend is much better but it takes all weekend. The refreshed take about 4 hours but it certainly not as detailed. If I was new first aider, I think the course by CRP/First Aid trainer not good enough really but it okay as a reminder.

Tom
03-03-2019, 06:21 PM
All recognized training companies must follow the ILCOR standards for training. These standards are International guide lines which are agreed upon and the companies then set the programs which are taught by their instructors.
Certification is approved by the parent organization such as The Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada,
St. John’s Ambulance, Red Cross etc.
Normally a Standard First Aid course (16 hours) with level C CPR certification is for 3 years with CPR being recertified every year but some of the organizations may have a CPR certification done every 3 years.
An Emergency First Aid course is not recognized n Alberta as a WCB or in Quebec CSST course but might be in other provinces (check with your local training companies).
There are some companies, usually owner operated which will teach their own courses and issue a certificate uder that company name. This type of certificate is not usually recognized by the WCB / CSST. Again, please check with your Provincial WCB / CSST.
If you are in Alberta, please contact me for further in formation.
Hope this helps.